battery finding - BBSHD settings on bikes.ca simulator?

samsavvas

100 W
Hi Folks,
I've done a couple of forum searches but have not found a topic which quite addresses the query below - so I'd appreciate any guidance the community can offer! I have a BBSHD set at 30 amps (bought from EM3ev). I've been experimenting with it mounted on a cargo bike using an eZee 'flat box' 48v/10ah battery I've had in the shed. Under limited load or in PAS 1 it goes like the clappers but any higher PAS setting or the slightest hill sees the system start beeping and then shut down. While it's the BBS readout that's doing the 'beeping', it actually seems to be the battery's BMS that is 'protesting' and then turning itself off. Disconnecting and then reconnecting the battery, or waiting a minute or too seems to allow things to settle down and get going again. I will try to check operating sag in the battery voltage etc but at this stage I'm presuming that the problem is my poor eZee is simply hitting it's BMS discharge limit and having problems meeting the current demands of the HD!

So - this said - I've been researching a new, higher capacity battery. It's a big investment so I want to get it right! I've been trying to plug some of the specs of EM3ev's 48v and 52v batteries into the ebikes.ca motor simulator with limited success. I have a basic understanding as to how the tool works but would appreciate your recommendations with regard to motor settings that best replicate the BBSHD (which isn't specifically listed in the tool's database). I'm basically interested in figuring out which of EM3ev's batteries will give me the most range and longest life - I'm not interested in going faster than about 25-30km/h, there aren't too many hills where I live and total laden bike weight will often approach 175kg. The bike will mainly be used in PAS mode.

Of course, if there is already a thread somewhere dealing with these questions, please point me to it!

Thanks,
Sam.

It is a big investment but no need to over complicate it.
I like the 52v and just get good cells with as much AH as you can mount or afford.
How you ride will mostly determine how far/fast you can go.
I'd get a jumbo shark 17.5ah with ga cells if it will fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Since the actual load on the battery will depend on what gear you're in, along with terrain, speed, etc., using the simulator will be a lot of work to figure out all those many situations and combinations.

Instead, you'd have an easier time of it simply verifying the maximum current you pull from the battery using your wattmeter. Then be sure to get a battery that can actually handle that current continously without much voltage sag or cell heating, etc., and then you'll know the pack is designed to do what you want.

Then you just need to know how many Wh/mile you use on your trips, and how long those trips are going to be at maximum.

Multiply those, plus a fudge factor of maybe 15-30% for weather/detours/etc., and then you have the total *usable* Wh you need the pack to contain. (usable meaning within the limits of the BMS's LVC and HVC, or within the limits of how you intend to charge it, because both of those will be less than the actual cells contain. ;) ).

Back