After 97 blissful BBSHD miles, it's all come to an end...

I couldn't get on my ebike quick enough- another 15 mile round trip for pop tarts. I turned on the power switch, lit up the DCP-14 display screen, and coasted down that half mile hill to the flatlands, ready to fully depress my universal thumb throttle. Then I noticed my screen was black. I pulled over, turned it on again, and it blacked out again after a few seconds.No lit screen, no power. Tried it a couple more times, saw the 53.8 v battery readout in the upper right corner of the screen, right before it blacked out again. Failing DCP-14 display? Loose quick disconnects?.......I walked the ebike up that hill and wondered where this would all end. When I got home, I turned on the battery, pressed the 3 way switch to the display, and watched in horror as the battery voltage readings skipped all over the map, 32v to 40v to 28v to you get the idea, and the screen blacked out again. Tried again, and then it got alot worse- I heard a faint "crackling", "popping" noise coming from the brand new Luna 48v 13.4AH bottle battery! The screen hasn't come on since..... anyone out there ever heard a snap, crackle, pop from a Lithium?

hmm sounds bad- contact luna if its still new. you will have problems trying to ship a faulty battery though... as is I don't think you can.
but if you want/need to go it alone, sounds like there's a short in the battery somewhere. you'll need to open her up to get an idea. could be simple :) could be not so simple. :(

sorry- I meant to say, before you do that, check all connections for a dodgy contact. hopefully its just something simple like that.

Good news! All that "popping", "crackling" battery noise was originating from where the battery terminals interphases with the mounting plate terminals. OK, the battery is reading 53.5 volts right off the battery "dish" terminals, and no voltage at the mounting plate terminals, so there you go. The problem was that the positive mounting plate terminal isn't sticking out far enough to make a good contact with the battery "dish" terminals, thus causing shorting, arching, and popping noises. I asked Luna to send me a new mounting plate whose terminals are the same length so they'll make a direct contact with the battery. Sounds like more Chinese poor quality construction! I'll stick a copper spacer to fill in the gap- should be riding within a couple hours!

Attachments

• test1001.jpg
    test1001.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 1,159
  • test1004.jpg
    test1004.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 1,159
Back