How good is the new BBSHD gear sensor for 2017?

Jestronix

10 kW
Hi Guys,

Just wanted to check how people are finding the new versions of the BBSHD gear sensor ? Apparently when used with the latest model BBSHD with the gear sense cable, its much faster than tapping the brakes? how true is this and is it still easier to just use the brake.

Liking the BBSHD so far, certainly a step down from my 3k mxus for commuting , but lighter and far more efficient and a lot more involved , automatic lazy world is over.

New sensor worth it ? Also does it know that you have successfully changed gear, as in if a gear doesnt quiet catch, just it just nail the power on again ? shifting with the brake leaver , i decide .

There's a downside to the new programming for the sensor; it may not apply to all of them but the post by Rassy is here:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=90636&p=1322352

Thanks amberwolf:

There's a downside to the new programming for the sensor; it may not apply to all of them but the post by Rassy is here:

My explanation is currently the last post in that thread.

I saw this thread and was hoping to see responses concerning the benefits of this "improvement", particularly as it applies to the BBS02, but nothing yet.

Since there were already several ways to assist with making smooth shifts while using a BBS02, I don't understand why a high power user wasn't capable of utilizing one of them, namely:

Just quit pedaling for a fraction of a second and shift when the motor stops:
Quit pedaling with a touch of back pedal, which stops the motor instantly, and then shift;
Barely apply an e-brake, which stops the motor instantly, and then shift;
Install a Bafang "green" button, which stops the motor instantly when held down, and then shift.

Rassy said:
Thanks amberwolf:

My explanation is currently the last post in that thread.

I saw this thread and was hoping to see responses concerning the benefits of this "improvement", particularly as it applies to the BBS02, but nothing yet.

Since there were already several ways to assist with making smooth shifts while using a BBS02, I don't understand why a high power user wasn't capable of utilizing one of them, namely:

Just quit pedaling for a fraction of a second and shift when the motor stops:
Quit pedaling with a touch of back pedal, which stops the motor instantly, and then shift;
Barely apply an e-brake, which stops the motor instantly, and then shift;
Install a Bafang "green" button, which stops the motor instantly when held down, and then shift.

I've been tapping the brake, but as a new rider there's been a few time that I forget, which is fine in PAS 2 but at level 9 it's kinda worrying, guess I'm lazy and want it to take care of the gears for me, if it works I'd be interested in it removing the manual aspect.

Jestronic wrote:

I've been tapping the brake, but as a new rider there's been a few time that I forget, which is fine in PAS 2 but at level 9 it's kinda worrying, guess I'm lazy and want it to take care of the gears for me, if it works I'd be interested in it removing the manual aspect.

So my guess is that you stop pedaling to shift, and in order to make a smooth shift and not have to wait for the motor to quit running you tap the brake. Have you experimented with the slight backpedal when you quit pedaling? That will also stop the motor immediately (at least on my BBS02) and is more natural then hitting a brake lever when you don't actually want to brake). After using the slight backpedal for a while it became so natural that I find myself doing it even when riding with no assist.

I suspect the gear sensor works fine, but on the current BBS02 units you would be giving up the ability to pedal along with the throttle in PAS0, which many of us like to do. It also would eliminate the ability to add a little throttle when in other PAS levels in order to get over a small hill or quickly pass, etc., unless you also quit pedaling. I expect that is also true for the BBSHD with the dedicated gear sensor.

EDIT: I purchased and installed a new controller, manufactured 09/14/17, that does not have the Dedicated Gear Sensor/Cable, and it also has the problem with not being able to pedal with normal throttle usage. So the conclusion I have to make is that Bafang made some other change to the controllers that doesn't have anything to do with the Gear Sensor.

Back