My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Discussions related to motors other than hub motors.
This includes R/C motors, botttom bracket, roller and geared drives.
eltee   1 mW

1 mW

FRAUD ALERT / IF YOU ARE BUYING BE CAUTIOUS

Post by eltee » Jul 31 2018 7:15pm

If you've been following my posts I was negotiating a purchase with Ivy and we had agreed upon a configuration and price. I get instructions to wire the money for my bike. OK, went to my bank and they conducted the transfer of over $3,000.00. I sent Ivy a copy of the bank's transaction documentation.

I just got a call from Ivy, calling me from China saying she did NOT send that request for a wire transfer. She explained that someone must have hacked into the communications, upon investigation I noticed there was a difference in email addresses but very subtle. The person also knew all about the Frey bikes and options.

The REAL Ivy has this email address:
sales@frey.bike <sales@frey.bike>

The FAKE Ivy used this email address: sales@frey.bike <salesfreybike@dr.com>

Been a cop for over 25 years and I missed it. I thought Ivy just started another thread to finalize the sale and the thread had ALL the details of what I wanted on the bike.

Ivy (the REAL one) has been great. She called me as soon as she got my email with confirmation of the wire transfer and realized it was fraud. I called my bank and they are working on it. I still intend to buy from Ivy (assuming I didn't lose my money) but I wanted to give you folks a big Heads Up on this.

Drop Dead Fred   100 W

100 W

Re: FRAUD ALERT / IF YOU ARE BUYING BE CAUTIOUS

Post by Drop Dead Fred » Jul 31 2018 11:13pm

eltee wrote:
Jul 31 2018 7:15pm
If you've been following my posts I was negotiating a purchase with Ivy and we had agreed upon a configuration and price. I get instructions to wire the money for my bike. OK, went to my bank and they conducted the transfer of over $3,000.00. I sent Ivy a copy of the bank's transaction documentation.

I just got a call from Ivy, calling me from China saying she did NOT send that request for a wire transfer. She explained that someone must have hacked into the communications, upon investigation I noticed there was a difference in email addresses but very subtle. The person also knew all about the Frey bikes and options.

Been a cop for over 25 years and I missed it. I thought Ivy just started another thread to finalize the sale and the thread had ALL the details of what I wanted on the bike.

Ivy (the REAL one) has been great. She called me as soon as she got my email with confirmation of the wire transfer and realized it was fraud. I called my bank and they are working on it. I still intend to buy from Ivy (assuming I didn't lose my money) but I wanted to give you folks a big Heads Up on this.
Weird that they hacked into Alibaba.com, I had thought that site was secure... Sorry to hear about your ordeal.

Drop Dead Fred   100 W

100 W

Re: TUBLESS TIRES ??

Post by Drop Dead Fred » Jul 31 2018 11:17pm

eltee wrote:
Jul 31 2018 11:04am
My AM1000 is coming with "tubeless ready" tires. I have tubeless on my regular MTB and like them but are they recommended for eMTB's? For my eMTB I am leaning more towards reliability than performance, this bike will be more for cruising dirt trails, etc. than technical riding. I just want to increase my odds of riding back vs. walking. Thanks for any input.
I've been running tubeless for 3 months now with no issues and personally would never take a tube over tubeless. But I always have a back up tube in case.

Stan's Sentry MK3 wheels and Schwalbe Nobby Nics 2.8 for tires, took off 2.5lbs of rotational weight with that combo!

TOLM   1 W

1 W

Post by TOLM » Aug 01 2018 3:49pm

eltee wrote:

Looks like that fake someone had access to legit account

scrambler   100 W

100 W

Post by scrambler » Aug 01 2018 5:46pm

Drop Dead Fred wrote:
Jul 31 2018 11:13pm
Weird that they hacked into Alibaba.com, I had thought that site was secure... Sorry to hear about your ordeal.
They could be hacking the email of Alibaba, Frey or even the end user.
They are even hacking wire transfer emails for real estate transactions these days. People buy a home, get the Escrow wire info by email, transfer the money, only to find out the escrow never got it, and they lost it all...

Often the money cannot be recovered, as they will empty the account as soon as the money gets in, so the bank cannot reverse the transfer. I hope that wont be the case here...

Rule these days concerning wire transfer is to always call the recipient in person, on a phone number you know to be legit and with someone you spoked to before, ahead of the transaction.

FREYebikes   100 W

100 W

Post by FREYebikes » Aug 01 2018 5:56pm

Hi,

Alibaba is security, that is my email address sales@frey.bike not on Alibaba platform, I have changed a more complex password and it is safe now.
Thank you for all your attention.
Drop Dead Fred wrote:
Jul 31 2018 11:13pm
eltee wrote:

Richard N   100 W

100 W

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by Richard N » Aug 01 2018 11:16pm

I think what happens is that the hackers listen in on the exchange, and then at the opportune moment they insert themselves into the conversation. For one party the exchange goes on as normal only it's the hacker they are now dealing with, while the second party thinks that the first has simply not responded. It's a very sophisticated and effective theft. No one email was hacked, and yes, Alibaba is secure.

I'm no expert. . . but that's how I understand it.
Last edited by Richard N on Aug 01 2018 11:17pm, edited 1 time in total.

Richard N   100 W

100 W

Post by Richard N » Aug 01 2018 11:17pm

Now, how about that hardtail AM1000? 8)

tommie   10 W

10 W

Post by tommie » Aug 02 2018 5:37am

Richard N wrote:
Aug 01 2018 11:17pm
Yes!! I`m patiently waiting on the road/hardtail version!

Richard N   100 W

100 W

Post by Richard N » Aug 02 2018 8:58am

tommie wrote:
Aug 02 2018 5:37am
Richard N wrote:
Aug 01 2018 11:17pm
Yes!! I`m patiently waiting on the road/hardtail version!
I really want a hardtail version too, I'm caving in though. Ivy and I are working out the details of an order right now. I figure that I can always order a frame when they are ready and swap everything over. I shouldn't have too much of a problem selling a FS-mtb frame for the G510 when that time comes. I hope.

In the mean time, I'm thinking about various ways to build a rear rack that attaches to the seat tube.

Tom L   1 kW

1 kW

Post by Tom L » Aug 02 2018 9:04am

Any reason you prefer the hardtail?

Having moved from a hardtail to the Frey FS ebike I'll never go back. The ride is so much more comfortable. The loss of efficiency in peddling is easily made up for by the motor.

Richard N   100 W

100 W

Post by Richard N » Aug 02 2018 9:31am

Tom L wrote:
Aug 02 2018 9:04am

Having moved from a hardtail to the Frey FS ebike I'll never go back. The ride is so much more comfortable. The loss of efficiency in peddling is easily made up for by the motor.
It's all about the rear rack. If I can noodle a solid rack that doesn't just clamp on to the seat post, that might make me a convert. I'll never mount one on the stays either, I just don't like that arrangement.

Richard N   100 W

100 W

Post by Richard N » Aug 02 2018 9:42am

I'm thinking of a sleeve that fits into the seat tube like a dropper would, but with a section that extends down the back of the seat tube to a clamp right below the top tube where it meets the seat tube. That give give me a nice solid mount that I can build off of. Without welding on the bike.

Tom L   1 kW

1 kW

Post by Tom L » Aug 02 2018 9:50am

That’s a good reason. I hadn’t considered it as I rarely have to carry much of a load when riding. A backpack is usually enough for me.

For anyone wondering the Mudhugger MTB 27.5 inch mudguards fit on the AM1000 well. I’ll post a photo later. Bit hard to get to my bike for a couple of days.

Drop Dead Fred   100 W

100 W

Post by Drop Dead Fred » Aug 03 2018 2:45pm

Guys giving some thought to selling my AM1000. While I love the bike I just ordered an M600 Full Suspension frame and a new Ellsworth 27.5+ frame that I'm going to need cash to build those two... so kind of full on bikes at the moment. Plus if my wife figures it out I might be sleeping outside with the dog for a while! :lol:

Do you think anyone would be interested since I've only had it about 3 months?

TOLM   1 W

1 W

Post by TOLM » Aug 03 2018 4:32pm

Drop Dead Fred wrote:
Aug 03 2018 2:45pm
Guys giving some thought to selling my AM1000. While I love the bike I just ordered an M600 Full Suspension frame and a new Ellsworth 27.5+ frame that I'm going to need cash to build those two... so kind of full on bikes at the moment. Plus if my wife figures it out I might be sleeping outside with the dog for a while! :lol:

List that thing on ebay since you are in the states. Should sell

Drop Dead Fred   100 W

100 W

Post by Drop Dead Fred » Aug 03 2018 5:43pm

TOLM wrote:
Aug 03 2018 4:32pm
Drop Dead Fred wrote:
Aug 03 2018 2:45pm

List that thing on ebay since you are in the states. Should sell
Ebayer from long ago but thought I would give peeps on here a chance first.

garyal1   10 W

10 W

Post by garyal1 » Aug 04 2018 10:03pm

I received my black Frey Am 1000 last week and was very happy so far with the build quality. All the upgrades I ordered were included. (Sram, Magura, Rockshox etc). Really like this bike!! Had my local bike shop do the set up and also do a full checkout. He told me everything was properly assembled and torqued. I told him to test it out and he put the first 30 miles on it. He really liked it too!I like the plain black without decals, very stealthy looking!

Did I already say, I REALLY LIKE THIS BIKE!!

A few mistakes on MY PART when I ordered:
I should have gotten the 52 volt battery.
I did not realize that lighting is extra. (easily rectified)
Again, these were MY MISTAKES.

Ivy / Frey delivered exactly what I ordered! :P

I ordered the medium size as I trade this bike off with my wife and she is shorter. Myself at 6 ft find it just fine with the seatpost elevation raised to a proper height.

My only problem is the 3 pin charge port. I want to use my Cycle Satiator to charge this battery but I cannot find this type of plug. Can anyone tell me where to buy this plug so I can make an adaptor cable for the Cycle satiator? I hate to cut up the nice 5A charger they shipped with my bike just to make an adapter cable. It looks to be something like a mini XLR, but not key exactly the same.

Is this where I can ask IVY to ship me one? Of course I would expect to pay for it!
Last edited by garyal1 on Aug 08 2018 8:43am, edited 1 time in total.

Richard N   100 W

100 W

Post by Richard N » Aug 04 2018 10:40pm

The charger plug looks like a 3 pin Mini-DIN, but without the square center post. Do they come without that post? Can you rid yourself of that post?

https://vetco.net/products/3-pin-mini-d ... -connector

Looks like there is no post in this image.

eltee   1 mW

1 mW

Post by eltee » Aug 05 2018 12:29am

Richard N wrote:
Aug 02 2018 9:31am
Tom L wrote:

It's all about the rear rack. If I can noodle a solid rack that doesn't just clamp on to the seat post, that might make me a convert. I'll never mount one on the stays either, I just don't like that arrangement.
I have a lightweight rack on my Cannondale Uber V seat post. Is there a reason you don't like them? Is it an engineering / stress issue or ??? I have a regular seat post on my bike. Just curious.

Your idea for one that uses the tube is interesting.

Ivanovitch_k   10 W

10 W

Post by Ivanovitch_k » Aug 05 2018 4:18am

Richard N wrote:
Aug 04 2018 10:40pm
The charger plug looks like a 3 pin Mini-DIN, but without the square center post. Do they come without that post? Can you rid yourself of
it's not DIN. The closest match I have found is GX-16 3-pins.

However, the stock cable is Reention-branded (the mfg. of the battery case), and It looks like the individual pin diameter is smaller than the GX.

Anyhow, Ivy is able to sell the spare charge cables. As well as the discharge plug & sockets.

I made an 3pin XLR to reention GX to use the satiator, works fine.
BBS'ed Radon ZR Team 8:
BBS02B 750W - DPC750C - 48V 17.5Ah GA shark - 11 spd 11-40 Shimano XT, 42T N-W Precialps CW, KMC X11e chain, Gearsensor, XT RD, XTR Shifter, F Saint Brake, R XT Brake, RT99 200/160 Discs, magnetic shutoff, DT Swiss X1900 QR9 wheels, Manitou M30 air fork, 2.4" slick balloon schwalbe Super Moto X tires @2 bars, Suntour NCX suspension seatpost, ergon SFC3 saddle, ergon GP3 grips, Supernova M99 Pro + E12 Taillight

Richard N   100 W

100 W

Post by Richard N » Aug 05 2018 4:28pm

eltee wrote:
Aug 05 2018 12:29am
Richard N wrote:
Aug 02 2018 9:31am
Tom L wrote:

I have a lightweight rack on my Cannondale Uber V seat post. Is there a reason you don't like them? Is it an engineering / stress issue or ??? I have a regular seat post on my bike. Just curious.

Your idea for one that uses the tube is interesting.
I do think some of the beam racks for light duty use will hold up just fine, but I need something I can take to the grocery store. It's not uncommon for me to haul 40 or 50 pounds of food home on the bus. I've even gone back in the same day if there is a good sale; a case of canned plum tomatoes for making tomato sauce ain't light! :lol:

Also, I've go a crazy Idea that I'd like the option of wiring up a second battery pack carried in a rear rack. Something like the Reention RB-1plus would add another 60 cells.

Richard N   100 W

100 W

Post by Richard N » Aug 05 2018 4:34pm

Ivanovitch_k wrote:
Aug 05 2018 4:18am
Richard N wrote:
The charger plug looks like a 3 pin Mini-DIN, but without the square center post. Do they come without that post? Can you rid yourself of

However, the stock cable is Reention-branded (the mfg. of the battery case), and It looks like the individual pin diameter is smaller than the GX.

Anyhow, Ivy is able to sell the spare charge cables. As well as the discharge plug & sockets.

I am very impressed with both Frey and Ivy! First rate communication for what must be an endless stream of questions.

dalysea   100 mW

100 mW

Post by dalysea » Aug 06 2018 2:32am

Ivanovitch_k wrote:
Aug 05 2018 4:18am
Richard N wrote:

My other chargers had XT60 so I just cut the Reention cable and spliced in XT60 connectors, works great and easy to get inexpensive XT60 connectors, just another option to consider.

Marmalade   100 mW

100 mW

Post by Marmalade » Aug 07 2018 7:48am

..still waiting for the battery..seems to be lost!. In the meantime, I designed & cut some stickers to make it less...meh.
IMG_3460_1.jpg