My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Discussions related to motors other than hub motors.
This includes R/C motors, botttom bracket, roller and geared drives.
Deafcat   100 W

100 W

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by Deafcat » Jul 04 2019 11:47am

mwesleyroper wrote:
Jul 04 2019 4:09am

I did this 20190704_042326 - Copy (3).jpg on my first attempt at speed on the flat and she was still giving as I let out of it. I believe it has amazing potential. Post results when done please!
82.8 km/h? This is an impossible speed at these power levels, except if you were standing in one place and riding the bike with the rear wheel off the ground.

Or, if you had a massive tail wind.

Nice try though!

Richard N   100 W

100 W

Post by Richard N » Jul 04 2019 1:53pm

Deafcat wrote:
Jul 04 2019 11:47am
mwesleyroper wrote:
Jul 04 2019 4:09am

I did this 20190704_042326 - Copy (3).jpg on my first attempt at speed on the flat and she was still giving as I let out of it. I believe it has amazing potential. Post results when done please!
82.8 km/h? This is an impossible speed at these power levels, except if you were standing in one place and riding the bike with the rear wheel off the ground.

Or, if you had a massive tail wind.

Nice try though!
Always know your audience! :D
IMG_20190704_114407.jpg
IMG_20190704_114407.jpg (24.68 KiB) Viewed 1049 times

mwesleyroper   100 µW

100 µW

Post by mwesleyroper » Jul 04 2019 7:42pm

Map Paddy wrote:
Apr 11 2019 9:44pm
Does anyone know a suitable replacement for the crank arms I got pedal strike now I got a bad case of wobbly crank going on .I k ot its ISIS spline but if anyone has fitted one that works well or a link to somthing that works please local shop no help at all
I recall someone on reddit saying they were very satisfied by changing the Bafang arms on their Biktrix to Miranda 152mm length, 8mm offset crank arms.

Stanleybb50   100 mW

100 mW

Post by Stanleybb50 » Jul 06 2019 1:21am

Adova wrote:
Mar 20 2018 10:53am
Hey all - and thanks for the detailed info on your experiences with Frey here!

Just pulled the trigger on an AM1000 with the lower end component configuration (e.g. Alibabba shows range from $2000 - ~$3000 for the AM1000). I am a novice biker, a bit older, and really just wanted the 1000w motor in a full suspension bike that would not break the bank. I think this will fit the bill.

I am a software engineer and plan on trying to see if I can port the software over to Android so that it could be modified on the road. Just need to make some sort of Bluetooth adapter for the cable.

I'll try to update as I go along...
Did anything ever become of this? Pretty awesome idea. Could maybe try to use it work with the Eggrider folks..?

brake034   10 mW

10 mW

Post by brake034 » Jul 06 2019 1:50am

I have both a Frey HT and an Eggrider on order :wink:

barbarossa   10 mW

10 mW

Post by barbarossa » Jul 06 2019 2:25am

Deafcat wrote:
Jul 04 2019 11:40am
mwesleyroper wrote:
Jul 04 2019 3:17am

You had me thinking Luna may have indeed lost their marbles when you mentioned the aluminum cassette. However, after going to the source and reading about their cassette I think Luna made one of the best choices in cassettes. The cogs are made of steel while the carrier is aluminum. SRAM claims, "The PG-1230 is the only Eagle cassette that meets durability requirements for E-MTB applications". Sounds legit to me.
That does not sound legit to me at all, since SRAM is based in Germany and would only make a statement like that in relation to domestic E-MTB bikes... "350W peak"

Karl did an article about this issue, riding Luna ludicrous, and explains the issue pretty clearly: https://electricbike-blog.com/2019/02/1 ... 350-197mm/

I don't agree with all of his points or conclusions but he's absolutely right to be concerned about aluminum HG-spline freehub bodies, I would never expect this interface to deal with 2000W power levels. However, since the PG-1230 is HG spline, it should actually be okay on a hub with steel driver body (Onyx, DT Swiss, Hope I think has steel option too, etc). I don't know which rear hub they used, but based on the other oversights I'll point out shortly, I would not be surprised if it was aluminum driven cassette.

I was somewhat mistaken in my previous post, in stating the NX Eagle was XD-driver... It is absolutely HG Spline, I'd even looked that up a few months back. The remaining issues are more troubling: the 12-speed chain, and good narrow-wide 12 speed chainrings. Luna dove head-first into a very dangerous mix of unknowns... We don't know if any of the 12-speed chains can survive these power levels, and the 12-speed chain is so new that few good chainring options exist. Jumped the gun, and for what? There is already mounting evidence that 1x11 drivetrains have unnecessary gear range on an ebike, and weaker chains than 8/9 speed. Diving into 1x12 with so many unknowns... Unreasonable.

Then again, I'm almost tempted to applaud them for pushing the limits and getting a crazy M600 bike out there... I just feel bad for the guys who bought this and will push it to full ludicrous power... I don't think they will spend much time riding.
I also made these considerations. i first used a DT Swiss Hybrid H1900 - comes with 2 steel bodies (XD and HG - but only 3 pawl system). then i rebuild the H1900 hub to a ratchet hub ( 3pawl to 24 teeth ratchet with XD hybrid freehub body -yes it works only problem is the seal of the freehub body but i simply reused the H1900 seal - so now my H1900 is a H1700 hub :o ). the 240/350 and H1700 DT Swiss uses all the same ratchet system - only diffenrence : all hybrid hub bodies are made of steel. so you can also buy the steel hybrid body and mount it on a 350 hub (XD and HG are available - microspline is still only aluminium or lets say "non hybrid"). but i also build a new rear tire based on the Onyx Hub with a DT SWISS HX581 rim (27.5 35mm 32hole) - absolutely silent 8) . Onyx freehub body is also made of steel (but there are also aluminium ones available as spare parts).

Best cassettes are already mentioned : SRAM PG-1130 for HG and SRAM XG-1150 for XD (for 11speed)
i personally use them with shimano sp41 cable hose, jagwire ultra elite slick wire, shimano hg-x e8000 chain 138-version, sram eagle 12x rear derailleur and 11x XT shifter ( shifter as it comes with the Frey). i know - it is mixed - but very,very,very smooth shifting.

12x (and even 11x, besides the long needed chain length needed for the frey) might have problem with big tires, chain might rub against the big tire in the lowest gear, but normally the 11x cassettes have enough space. another thing to mention that sram rear derailleurs dont bent the lower chainline towards your tire like shimano rear derailleurs - have a look at the shimano rear derailleur cages - lower pulley is a little "bent" (its extreme with 12x 9100/8100/7100 where the whole cage is bent but it is also with 11x rear derailleurs). lower chainline with shimano might be a little better (because upper pulley is positioned better under the largest cog) but you loose some important millimeters so the chain can rub against the tire.

now its 1 year and 2000km with my frey am1000. and it is really smooth - i really love it :mrgreen:
Last edited by barbarossa on Jul 11 2019 4:23pm, edited 1 time in total.

bugnut   1 mW

1 mW

Post by bugnut » Jul 06 2019 9:58am

Hello All, I received my AM1000 around early May. I gotta say that this is my first ebike and that I really love riding it. When I went for my first rides I noticed that the shifter would take the chain past the high and low gears and would cause the chain to fall off. About a month ago I took the bike to a LBS and had the derailler adjusted. Now under heavy peddle power the chain is jumping gears like crazy. It has actually come off the sprocket the past two times I have rode it. I went for the SRAM EX 1 thinking that it is a better setup. The bike only has 200 km and I am not a hard rider. I do ride mostly level 5 when in the street but other then that I ride on level one or two on trails. Can anyone shed light on where my problem could be?

Thanks

efMX Trials Electric Freeride   100 kW

100 kW

Post by efMX Trials Electric Freeride » Jul 06 2019 12:41pm

bugnut wrote:
Jul 06 2019 9:58am
Hello All, I received my AM1000 around early May. I gotta say that this is my first ebike and that I really love riding it. When I went for my first rides I noticed that the shifter would take the chain past the high and low gears and would cause the chain to fall off. About a month ago I took the bike to a LBS and had the derailler adjusted. Now under heavy peddle power the chain is jumping gears like crazy. It has actually come off the sprocket the past two times I have rode it. I went for the SRAM EX 1 thinking that it is a better setup. The bike only has 200 km and I am not a hard rider. I do ride mostly level 5 when in the street but other then that I ride on level one or two on trails. Can anyone shed light on where my problem could be?

Thanks
measure your chain and sprocket wear with a park tool chain checker or at your LBS.. what is your smallest rear cog, do you use the small cogs often or the middle cogs?? small cogs will wear quickly under motor power and that will stretch the chain.. stretched chain and worn cogs often causes chain jumping under load..
some ride & sk8 videos:
metacafe.com/channels/NATAS666DAMIEN
http://www.youtube.com/natas666damien
i have nothing for sale.. :)

barbarossa   10 mW

10 mW

Post by barbarossa » Jul 06 2019 2:08pm

efMX Trials Electric Freeride wrote:
Jul 06 2019 12:41pm
bugnut wrote:
Jul 06 2019 9:58am

Thanks
measure your chain and sprocket wear with a park tool chain checker or at your LBS.. what is your smallest rear cog, do you use the small cogs often or the middle cogs?? small cogs will wear quickly under motor power and that will stretch the chain.. stretched chain and worn cogs often causes chain jumping under load..
Yep, seems chain or/and cogs are worn out - but already after 200km ?
Cassette is 8x with 11-48 on an HG freehub.Sram recommends 10 or 11 speed chain because the cogs are not really 8x wide. the original chain is cheap , 10x with 144 links.
Do you have the original sram chain on your bike? I think „EX1“ is written on the chain links...
Chain lock in the right direction?
Chain too long? Perhaps less tension in higher gears...
and of course checking the chain as written before might help...

ps. EX1 largest 48t sprocket is made of aluminium - i dont know why sram did this? I think this is the weakness of this cassette. but your problem seems to be different...

Tom   100 W

100 W

Post by Tom » Jul 07 2019 4:31pm

mwesleyroper wrote:
Jul 04 2019 3:17am
Deafcat wrote:
Jun 27 2019 4:27pm
mwesleyroper wrote:
Jun 27 2019 4:13pm
Luna released their full suspension X-1 with a 2000 watt Bafang M600 a few days ago. Very affordable.
That bike is beyond ridiculous. Firstly, no evidence the M600 can handle 2kW for any length of time. Secondly, even if the motor survives, they frocking equipped the bike with an NX Eagle 12-speed drivetrain, which is an aluminum XD interface cassette not even remotely capable of handling those power levels... Then for this wonderfully light bike they added four-piston (!!) brakes, because that's totally necessary... What will break first? The frame? The rear hub/cassette? the motor? the chain? What a crap-shoot. $3500 USD entry price to ride an electro-mechanical time-bomb.
You had me thinking Luna may have indeed lost their marbles when you mentioned the aluminum cassette. However, after going to the source and reading about their cassette I think Luna made one of the best choices in cassettes. The cogs are made of steel while the carrier is aluminum. SRAM claims, "The PG-1230 is the only Eagle cassette that meets durability requirements for E-MTB applications". Sounds legit to me.
According to Luna's product page the X1 is equipped with the Sram SX Eagle 12 speed (not the NX). The SX uses the PG-1210 cassette. Note the PG-1210 product page does not contain the E-MTB durability language.

https://www.sram.com/en/sram/models/cs-pg-1210-a1
https://www.sram.com/en/sram/models/cs-pg-1230-a1'

That said, I don't see anything remotely close to this bike in terms of value at this price point, even if you had to replace the drivetrain.

pks   100 µW

100 µW

Post by pks » Jul 08 2019 1:09am

If anybody in on the market for the lightly used Frey AM1000 in large size with some great commuter-centric upgrades, I have one available for sale with free US shipping. 800 miles only.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=101210

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

intothewildrider   1 µW

1 µW

Post by intothewildrider » Jul 08 2019 4:51pm

Where do you guys order the am1000 from? because i see cinline bikes also have the am1000. is that a Frey knockoff or is it the same?

FREYebikes   100 W

100 W

Post by FREYebikes » Jul 09 2019 1:23am

Hi everyone,

Good news to all you!
We are planning an activity in this September.

An exchange Tour of FREY Electric Mountain Bike Fans in China

FREY team and brand is committed to creating value for users and partners. Guided by the customer-oriented principle and in order to provide users with better products and services, we are now recruiting several FREY electric mountain bike users and partners to visit Frey's factory in China and enjoy new product activities of Frey 2020.

Time: tentatively scheduled for 5-7 days in September.

Activity content and benefits:
1. For those who are selected, FREY will reimburse round-trip tickets, pick up flights and arrange all activities, accommodation and meals after they arrive in China.
2. Visit FREY factory, observe production process of Frey Bike and discuss with FREY chief designer and engineer on future demand trend and performance requirements of electric mountain bicycle.
3.Participate in the release and evaluation of some FREY 2020 new model, experience the quality and performance of FREY EMTB in mountain bike park, and enjoy 2020 new product experience activities.
4. Visit and ride in some famous scenic spots in China.
5. All eligible participants in this activity can enjoy the privileged price of Frey Bike AM1000 and M600 model, and each person can only buy one.
6. Those who are selected will enjoy privileges and have preferential price of Frey 2020 limited model, and each person can only buy one.
7. Frey will present exquisite gifts and souvenir, and sent back to the airport.

Recruiting Requirements:
1. All FREY Bike users, partners who purchased AM1000 or M600 model, and share FREY product information and FREY BIKE cycling experience.
2. Those who forward the information of this activity.
3. Those who wish to disseminate Frey and share the itinerary of this activity in real time.

About activity link is below:
http://www.frey.bike/article/Exchange-T ... -China.htm

FREY WELCOME TO YOUR ARRIVAL.

Those who are qualified and interested in the activity are welcomed. Please explain your situation, express your thoughts and expectations for the trip. Recruitment lasts for one month till the early August.

Application email: activity@frey.bike
The final interpretation of this activity belongs to Frey.Bike

cerberpeter   10 mW

10 mW

Post by cerberpeter » Jul 09 2019 4:21am

Hi guys!
I could not find any information on anti-dumping duty issues!? Has anyone who imported this bike in EU paid this special additional tax?
I would like to buy one myself, but last year I was striked with 84% of anti-dumping duty (+8% regular duty + 20% vat) on a full electric bike as such.

Sinbord1981   10 W

10 W

Post by Sinbord1981 » Jul 09 2019 9:39am

cerberpeter wrote:
Jul 09 2019 4:21am
Hi guys!
I could not find any information on anti-dumping duty issues!? Has anyone who imported this bike in EU paid this special additional tax?
I would like to buy one myself, but last year I was striked with 84% of anti-dumping duty (+8% regular duty + 20% vat) on a full electric bike as such.
I bought one and had it delivered to me in the United Kingdom (still part of the EU I think 😂). I paid 3.4% customs tax / duty on the overall price of what I paid to Frey (including the credit card fee that I opted to pay for security).

Stanleybb50   100 mW

100 mW

Post by Stanleybb50 » Jul 09 2019 10:23am

FREYebikes wrote:
Jul 09 2019 1:23am
Hi everyone,

Good news to all you!

FREY team and brand is committed to creating value for users and partners. Guided by the customer-oriented principle and in order to provide users with better products and services, we are now recruiting several FREY electric mountain bike users and partners to visit Frey's factory in China and enjoy new product activities of Frey 2020.

1. For those who are selected, FREY will reimburse round-trip tickets, pick up flights and arrange all activities, accommodation and meals after they arrive in China.
2. Visit FREY factory, observe production process of Frey Bike and discuss with FREY chief designer and engineer on future demand trend and performance requirements of electric mountain bicycle.
3.Participate in the release and evaluation of some FREY 2020 new model, experience the quality and performance of FREY EMTB in mountain bike park, and enjoy 2020 new product experience activities.
5. All eligible participants in this activity can enjoy the privileged price of Frey Bike AM1000 and M600 model, and each person can only buy one.
6. Those who are selected will enjoy privileges and have preferential price of Frey 2020 limited model, and each person can only buy one.
7. Frey will present exquisite gifts and souvenir, and sent back to the airport.

Recruiting Requirements:
1. All FREY Bike users, partners who purchased AM1000 or M600 model, and share FREY product information and FREY BIKE cycling experience.
3. Those who wish to disseminate Frey and share the itinerary of this activity in real time.

Those who are qualified and interested in the activity are welcomed. Please explain your situation, express your thoughts and expectations for the trip. Recruitment lasts for one month till the early August.

Very cool idea! And some lucky folks are going to enjoy the trip of a lifetime!

Sinbord1981   10 W

10 W

Post by Sinbord1981 » Jul 09 2019 10:44am

FREYebikes wrote:
Awesome. I’ve applied for this.

cerberpeter   10 mW

10 mW

Post by cerberpeter » Jul 09 2019 10:46am

Sinbord1981 wrote:
Jul 09 2019 9:39am
cerberpeter wrote:
Hi guys!
I bought one and had it delivered to me in the United Kingdom (still part of the EU I think 😂). I paid 3.4% customs tax / duty on the overall price of what I paid to Frey (including the credit card fee that I opted to pay for security).
That's definitely a bargain :D
Maybe UK didn't enforce those anti-dumping duties like other EU regulations (driving with lights on during the day for example)

Anyone else from the EU?

FREYebikes   100 W

100 W

Post by FREYebikes » Jul 10 2019 1:55am

Hi,

There are 2 ways to deliver to EU for single bikes. By air or by train. if by air, usually bike and battery sent separately. the local charge is about 100-200USD as we leart from customers.
If you concern about the tax to EU. there is another tranportation way for choice. that is go by train DDP to your address. all cost and tax included. about 500-550USD depend on the place. shipping time is about 35 days from our place to your hand after we delivery.
Hope my info is helpful to you.

Regards,
Ivy
cerberpeter wrote:
Jul 09 2019 10:46am
Sinbord1981 wrote:
Jul 09 2019 9:39am
cerberpeter wrote:
Hi guys!
That's definitely a bargain :D
Maybe UK didn't enforce those anti-dumping duties like other EU regulations (driving with lights on during the day for example)

Anyone else from the EU?

Hardcore   100 W

100 W

Post by Hardcore » Jul 10 2019 3:37pm

FREYebikes wrote:
Hi everyone,

Good news to all you!

Recruiting Requirements:

Applied!!!!!

brake034   10 mW

10 mW

Post by brake034 » Jul 11 2019 6:53am

Sneak preview of part of the Frey invitational tour? What about a two day trip to Brave Peak Bike Park https://www.pinkbike.com/news/chinas-fr ... neers.html??

NoFanBoiz   1 W

1 W

Post by NoFanBoiz » Jul 11 2019 7:13am

International buyers: have you all purchased via alibaba?

Weird stats trivia -

According to the 'Transactions' tab on the alibaba listings for the AM1000 low end config bike [https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/ ... 53227.html], there have been 3 transactions over the last 11 months,
and 1 transaction for the high end bike [https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/ ... 09431.html].

brake034   10 mW

10 mW

Post by brake034 » Jul 11 2019 7:20am

I bought directly, not via alibaba!

Hardcore   100 W

100 W

Post by Hardcore » Jul 11 2019 8:27am

NoFanBoiz wrote:
Jul 11 2019 7:13am
International buyers: have you all purchased via alibaba?

Weird stats trivia -

According to the 'Transactions' tab on the alibaba listings for the AM1000 low end config bike [https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/ ... 53227.html], there have been 3 transactions over the last 11 months,
and 1 transaction for the high end bike [https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/ ... 09431.html].
They have many similar/near identical offers, have you checked the others?

Deafcat   100 W

100 W

Post by Deafcat » Jul 11 2019 9:30am

barbarossa wrote:
Jul 06 2019 2:25am

I also made these considerations. i first used a DT Swiss Hybrid H1900 - comes with 2 steel bodies (XD and HG - but only 3 pawl system). then i rebuild the H1900 hub to a ratchet hub ( 3pawl to 24 teeth ratchet with XD hybrid freehub body -yes it works only problem is the seal of the freehub body but i simply reused the H1900 seal - so now my H1900 is a H1700 hub :o ). the 240/350 and H1700 DT Swiss uses all the same ratchet system - only diffenrence : all hybrid hub bodies are made of steel. so you can also buy the steel hybrid body and mount it on a 350 hub (XD and HG are available - microspline is still only aluminium or lets say "non hybrid"). but i also build a new rear tire based on the Onyx Hub with a DT SWISS HX581 rim (27.5 35mm 32hole) - absolutely silent 8) . Onyx freehub body is also made of steel (but there are also aluminium ones available as spare parts).

Best cassettes are already mentioned : SRAM PG-1230 for HG and SRAM XG-1150 for XD.
i personally use them with shimano sp41 cable hose, jagwire ultra elite slick wire, shimano hg-x e8000 chain 138-version, sram eagle 12x rear derailleur and 11x XT shifter ( shifter as it comes with the Frey). i know - it is mixed - but very,very,very smooth shifting.

12x (and even 11x, besides the long needed chain length needed for the frey) might have problem with big tires, chain might rub against the big tire in the lowest gear, but normally the 11x cassettes have enough space. another thing to mention that sram rear derailleurs dont bent the lower chainline towards your tire like shimano rear derailleurs - have a look at the shimano rear derailleur cages - lower pulley is a little "bent" (its extreme with 12x 9100/8100/7100 where the whole cage is bent but it is also with 11x rear derailleurs). lower chainline with shimano might be a little better (because upper pulley is positioned better under the largest cog) but you loose some important millimeters so the chain can rub against the tire.

now its 1 year and 2000km with my frey am1000. and it is really smooth - i really love it :mrgreen:
Impressive Sramano setup, it's always fun to see what can be mixed and matched. Also a huge fan of Onyx hubs, using em front and back now as well! Are you excluding the small gear of the 12x cassette with using the 11x shifter? I've got my bike setup with 11x NX Sram derailleur and shifter on a Box 11-46 cassette, clears my 3.8 tire no problem and with good chainline. Ultra motor with a 50t Wolftooth narrow wide, stock cable housing still, xx1 chain but will swap to a connex 11sx next. Tis on a hardtail Biktrix.

One thing I noticed recently with the Box cassette, a bit more chain noise, the sprockets seem to be narrower than SRAm PG-1130s. Might mix and match a bit when I rebuild drivetrain next... Will do jagwire housing if I swap derailleur or shifter too.