My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Discussions related to motors other than hub motors.
This includes R/C motors, botttom bracket, roller and geared drives.
Locked
FlyingFinn   1 W

1 W
Posts: 54
Joined: Jan 03 2018 7:48pm

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by FlyingFinn » Oct 11 2019 12:51pm

Got my FAT1000 yesterday. Been driving around nearby dirt and backroads. Very nice and happy with the quality and how smoothly the PA works. Only minor issues are that Bafang display drops battery percentage too quickly if I’m using thumb throttle. Battery percentage drops from 95% to 65% instantly when thumb throttling. It never recovers above 70% even if I change to Eco mode level 1. This happens even if I use the thumb throttle for one minute! Battery’s own indicator still shows full 5/5 bars.
F86E8AB5-5526-4B19-B890-915DC4F5D61A.jpeg
F86E8AB5-5526-4B19-B890-915DC4F5D61A.jpeg (158.76 KiB) Viewed 1161 times

Hardcore   100 W

100 W
Posts: 115
Joined: Mar 22 2018 7:19pm

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by Hardcore » Oct 11 2019 4:23pm

one, the battery lights won't really show you much usefull information. And to get the accurate battery percentage back I've noticed that you have to turn the bike on and off. What you can do is put the settings to voltage, which gives you a real-time value of the voltage that tells you exactly how your battery is. A bit of feeling is needed in the beginning, but I think someone posted a comparison between voltage and percentage.

Tjeska   1 W

1 W
Posts: 53
Joined: Sep 26 2016 2:48am
Location: Europe

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by Tjeska » Oct 12 2019 2:47am

alenari wrote:
Oct 11 2019 11:23am
Anyone else unable to get a response from Frey ? Mailed them over two weeks ago now and still no reply.
For my questions and order, I did it on the alibaba App. Always had a response in less then 24u.

FlyingFinn   1 W

1 W
Posts: 54
Joined: Jan 03 2018 7:48pm

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by FlyingFinn » Oct 12 2019 7:05am

One more question. The charger says output voltage 48V 5A. How can I charge a 48V nominal battery to full with a 48V charger? If you don’t know what I mean don’t even bother to answer.

Something doesn’t add up in this equation. Either the charger outputs more or the battery has smaller voltage than announced.

Hardcore   100 W

100 W
Posts: 115
Joined: Mar 22 2018 7:19pm

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by Hardcore » Oct 12 2019 7:28am

54.6 volts output for the said 48v charger, and to be all-inclusive, their 52v charger outputs 58.8v. You can also check the voltage of your battery using the Bafang display. Fully charged it should read 54.6v for a 48v battery.

Reasoning: you have 13 cells in series with each a nominal voltage of 3.7v (13x3.7 = 48v), while their max voltage is 4.2V. You do the math if you know what I mean

FlyingFinn   1 W

1 W
Posts: 54
Joined: Jan 03 2018 7:48pm

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by FlyingFinn » Oct 12 2019 7:32am

Hardcore wrote:
Oct 12 2019 7:28am
54.6 volts output for the said 48v charger, and to be all-inclusive, their 52v charger outputs 58.8v. You can also check the voltage of your battery using the Bafang display. Fully charged it should read 54.6v for a 48v battery.

Reasoning: you have 13 cells in series with each a nominal voltage of 3.7v (13x3.7 = 48v), while their max voltage is 4.2V. You do the math if you know what I mean
Thx for your reply. Thus to be noted that their charger markings are incorrect. Output isn’t 48V as marked but 54.6V which is the correct voltage. Otherwise the charger seems to be well made.

The math adds up and the only possible explanation math-wise when comparing Ah, voltages and cell numbers is the aforementioned incorrect markings on the charger.

rayebiker   10 mW

10 mW
Posts: 28
Joined: Sep 15 2018 10:03pm

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by rayebiker » Oct 12 2019 4:56pm

Are there supposed to be mounting holes for the chain guide? My motor doesn't seem to have anywhere to mount it.
Attachments
20191012_144123_compress48.jpg
20191012_144123_compress48.jpg (89.08 KiB) Viewed 1054 times

rayebiker   10 mW

10 mW
Posts: 28
Joined: Sep 15 2018 10:03pm

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by rayebiker » Oct 12 2019 5:01pm

Here is the guide
Attachments
20191012_145914_compress20_compress8.jpg
20191012_145914_compress20_compress8.jpg (102.25 KiB) Viewed 1054 times

Hardcore   100 W

100 W
Posts: 115
Joined: Mar 22 2018 7:19pm

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by Hardcore » Oct 12 2019 6:57pm

If you didn't get it with the chainguide then you have to get the holes in there yourself. I did it as well due to too many chaindrops. But what have you been doing to your bike? Looks well used

rayebiker   10 mW

10 mW
Posts: 28
Joined: Sep 15 2018 10:03pm

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by rayebiker » Oct 12 2019 10:11pm

Hardcore wrote:
Oct 12 2019 6:57pm
If you didn't get it with the chainguide then you have to get the holes in there yourself. I did it as well due to too many chaindrops. But what have you been doing to your bike? Looks well used
yep, lots of chain drops, unfortunately. Ivy sent me the chain guide when she sent a new rear hub. Blew out the freewheel at the Downiville Downhill. Lots of rides in South Lake Tahoe and northern CA. I have definitely put the bike through its paces. It is a fun powerful bike!

Did you tap and die the holes for the guide? How hard is it to get the motor housing off to do that? (Or did you use some sort of self taping metal screws?) Can you send a few pics (as best you can since the chainring is in the way).

User avatar
brake034   10 mW

10 mW
Posts: 30
Joined: Jun 16 2019 3:40am

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by brake034 » Oct 13 2019 3:43am

It mounted ex factory like this on my HT;
Image

Image

Hardcore   100 W

100 W
Posts: 115
Joined: Mar 22 2018 7:19pm

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by Hardcore » Oct 13 2019 5:50am

rayebiker wrote:
Oct 12 2019 10:11pm
Hardcore wrote:
Oct 12 2019 6:57pm
If you didn't get it with the chainguide then you have to get the holes in there yourself. I did it as well due to too many chaindrops. But what have you been doing to your bike? Looks well used
Did you tap and die the holes for the guide? How hard is it to get the motor housing off to do that? (Or did you use some sort of self taping metal screws?) Can you send a few pics (as best you can since the chainring is in the way).
Yes, tap and die. Getting the motor off is quite easy but you have to undo the bolts and lower the motor out of the frame (you can keep it connected or disconnect as you like). Then you can tap two holes like in the attached picture and die them.
Attachments
IMG_20181010_151614 (2).jpg
IMG_20181010_151614 (2).jpg (362.01 KiB) Viewed 997 times
IMG_20181010_151934 (3).jpg
IMG_20181010_151934 (3).jpg (395.54 KiB) Viewed 997 times

FlyingFinn   1 W

1 W
Posts: 54
Joined: Jan 03 2018 7:48pm

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by FlyingFinn » Oct 14 2019 7:57am

The suspension was definately too loose for a 110kg guy. Added around 10-15% more air to both shocks. Both require a shock pump. Front to 100psi and rear to 130psi. Now it’s perfect. Outside temps hover around 10C so therefore it’s best to adjust pressures while the bike is being kept outside. Battery is always stored inside in 20C and charged only when room temp is reached. These things become more important by the day when temps are dropping here in the North.
Attachments
8093E9C8-24AF-4F6B-A2F8-E98540E91CFE.jpeg
8093E9C8-24AF-4F6B-A2F8-E98540E91CFE.jpeg (162.54 KiB) Viewed 943 times

devean   1 µW

1 µW
Posts: 1
Joined: Apr 02 2019 2:59pm

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by devean » Oct 14 2019 9:49am

FlyingFinn wrote:
Oct 11 2019 12:51pm
Got my FAT1000 yesterday. Been driving around nearby dirt and backroads. Very nice and happy with the quality and how smoothly the PA works. Only minor issues are that Bafang display drops battery percentage too quickly if I’m using thumb throttle. Battery percentage drops from 95% to 65% instantly when thumb throttling. It never recovers above 70% even if I change to Eco mode level 1. This happens even if I use the thumb throttle for one minute! Battery’s own indicator still shows full 5/5 bars.

F86E8AB5-5526-4B19-B890-915DC4F5D61A.jpeg
How much were the taxes? Im from Finland as well, im thinking about buying the upcoming Frey CC.

Sinbord1981   100 W

100 W
Posts: 101
Joined: Apr 13 2019 1:31am

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by Sinbord1981 » Oct 14 2019 4:31pm

Guys I'd like to share my Facebook channel out to you. It's predominantly aimed at UK-based prospective customers for any of the Frey model range of bikes, including the new CC and EX models that I'm sure you've read about now. Please feel free to LIKE and FOLLOW the page.

https://www.facebook.com/AdrenalineEbikes

I'll be bringing you details on how to buy - either direct from Frey in China, or through my company as their UK Distributor. Pricing is totally transparent and we're working for you to bring the best value high quality eBikes to the UK.

I will be also be bringing interesting news, views and articles around the eBiking scene covering aspects such as UK law and riding on UK roads as well as the dreaded anti-dumping tax.

Please don't forget you can also reach out to me directly at simon_orsborn@yahoo.co.uk for any specification & pricing details.

Best regards,

Simon Orsborn M.Eng., Company Owner & Director.
Adrenaline eBikes Limited.
Company Number: 12255483.

FlyingFinn   1 W

1 W
Posts: 54
Joined: Jan 03 2018 7:48pm

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by FlyingFinn » Oct 15 2019 3:44am

devean wrote:
Oct 14 2019 9:49am

How much were the taxes? Im from Finland as well, im thinking about buying the upcoming Frey CC.
The customs tax and VAT are included to EU in the 550€ shipping cost. No import declaration by the customer was required. It arrived straight to my home door by a freight company (Kaukokiito). Building the bike took 1 month and shipping 40 days by land freight to Finland.

Just order and start waiting for the bike to arrive. Easy and hassle-free. No paperwork required.

jeron   10 mW

10 mW
Posts: 26
Joined: May 03 2019 11:46am

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by jeron » Oct 15 2019 12:10pm

It's super easy ordering at Frey. Great response and no extra taxes. Delivered to my door here in Belgium. You don't need a middle man.

FREYebikes   100 W

100 W
Posts: 162
Joined: Dec 20 2017 11:52pm

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by FREYebikes » Oct 16 2019 8:24am

Hi,

I hope there is no midunderstanding.
Simon Orsborn is our dealer in UK. so anyone in UK want to buy FREY bikes can buy from Simon.It will be same price as buy from FREY directly, and can get support and service locally.
About other areas no dealer available, can buy directly from FREY, and we serve directly.
FlyingFinn wrote:
Oct 16 2019 3:35am
Sinbord1981 wrote:
Oct 14 2019 4:31pm
Guys I'd like to share my Facebook channel out to you. It's predominantly aimed at UK-based prospective customers for any of the Frey model range of bikes, including the new CC and EX models that I'm sure you've read about now. Please feel free to LIKE and FOLLOW the page.

https://www.facebook.com/AdrenalineEbikes

I'll be bringing you details on how to buy - either direct from Frey in China, or through my company as their UK Distributor. Pricing is totally transparent and we're working for you to bring the best value high quality eBikes to the UK.

I will be also be bringing interesting news, views and articles around the eBiking scene covering aspects such as UK law and riding on UK roads as well as the dreaded anti-dumping tax.

Please don't forget you can also reach out to me directly at simon_orsborn@yahoo.co.uk for any specification & pricing details.

Best regards,

Simon Orsborn M.Eng., Company Owner & Director.
Adrenaline eBikes Limited.
Company Number: 12255483.
Anti-dumping tax... Who the f**k cares about this if Frey has delivered all their orders to EU-zone without any issues? I couldn’t care less if Frey breaks some Polish customs regulations if I get the bike fast and without any hassle or tax!

Hey don’t fall into this guy’s trap! This middleman can go and enjoy his Brexit-mayhem by himself and see how no-one dares to buy anything from UK. If you’re afraid of surprise taxes, don’t buy anything from UK! Let those cocky w*nkers enjoy isolation from common markets.

UK will have customs border and tax-walls with 27 more countries. The whole EU with only 1. Take a wild guess who loses more?

SpeedHunter   1 mW

1 mW
Posts: 19
Joined: May 18 2016 1:19am

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by SpeedHunter » Oct 17 2019 5:14pm

Im going to purchase a Frey AM1000 and wondering if anyone could give me tips for the purchase, for example is there any spare parts I should request, or any mods I should look out for? I am a bit of a noob with mountain bike parts, but I love the look of this bike, so pumped!

This is the current configuration which I will be getting shipped to Australia:

Bafang Ultra 48V 1000W mid drive system with throttle;
48V 21AH Samsung 35E cells powered big capacity battery;
ROCKSHOX YARI 160mm air suspension fork;
ROCKSHOX DELUXE RL rear suspension;
MAGURA MT5e 4-piston hydraulic brake with power cut function for ebike use;
SHIMANO XT M8000 11 speed group set;
MAXXIS 27.5*2.8" mountain tire.
Price is 3120USD not include shipping cost.

Thank you in advance!

cscscs   10 mW

10 mW
Posts: 24
Joined: Jun 28 2019 2:23pm

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by cscscs » Oct 17 2019 9:04pm

SpeedHunter wrote:
Oct 17 2019 5:14pm
Im going to purchase a Frey AM1000 and wondering if anyone could give me tips for the purchase, for example is there any spare parts I should request, or any mods I should look out for? I am a bit of a noob with mountain bike parts, but I love the look of this bike, so pumped!

This is the current configuration which I will be getting shipped to Australia:

Bafang Ultra 48V 1000W mid drive system with throttle;
48V 21AH Samsung 35E cells powered big capacity battery;
ROCKSHOX YARI 160mm air suspension fork;
ROCKSHOX DELUXE RL rear suspension;
MAGURA MT5e 4-piston hydraulic brake with power cut function for ebike use;
SHIMANO XT M8000 11 speed group set;
MAXXIS 27.5*2.8" mountain tire.
Price is 3120USD not include shipping cost.

Thank you in advance!
Get extra mech hangers for sure. If it were me I would try to upgrade the fork to pike or lyrik if you're going to use it for true mountain biking. A wired-in headlight is a nice option if you will be riding in the dark at all. An extra headset is a convenience too as they are kind of a PITA to match and order and the neco is decent enough. Personally I prefer the 17.5AH battery as the bike is already heavy and the range on the 17.5 is already plenty - also the 21 will protrude - I even removed the handle from mine as it was irritating my knee as it also protrudes). I also ordered a complete extra set of suspension bearings since these are also frame-specific and would be a PITA to source later. Does that help?

Sinbord1981   100 W

100 W
Posts: 101
Joined: Apr 13 2019 1:31am

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by Sinbord1981 » Oct 18 2019 12:24am

SpeedHunter wrote:
Oct 17 2019 5:14pm
Im going to purchase a Frey AM1000 and wondering if anyone could give me tips for the purchase, for example is there any spare parts I should request, or any mods I should look out for? I am a bit of a noob with mountain bike parts, but I love the look of this bike, so pumped!
SpeedHunter I’d also recommend getting the gear sensor. This cuts the power to the drive train when changing gear. Without it, if you’re not mechanically sympathetic you could wreck your gears. Normally when cycling on any bike I tend to back off the pedalling power momentarily when I change gear and if you employ that technique yourself you should be fine but it’s a nice little addition and insurance policy. Cheers. You’ll love the bike!

FlyingFinn   1 W

1 W
Posts: 54
Joined: Jan 03 2018 7:48pm

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by FlyingFinn » Oct 19 2019 11:27am

SpeedHunter wrote:
Oct 17 2019 5:14pm
Im going to purchase a Frey AM1000 and wondering if anyone could give me tips for the purchase, for example is there any spare parts I should request, or any mods I should look out for? I am a bit of a noob with mountain bike parts, but I love the look of this bike, so pumped!

This is the current configuration which I will be getting shipped to Australia:

Bafang Ultra 48V 1000W mid drive system with throttle;
48V 21AH Samsung 35E cells powered big capacity battery;
ROCKSHOX YARI 160mm air suspension fork;
ROCKSHOX DELUXE RL rear suspension;
MAGURA MT5e 4-piston hydraulic brake with power cut function for ebike use;
SHIMANO XT M8000 11 speed group set;
MAXXIS 27.5*2.8" mountain tire.
Price is 3120USD not include shipping cost.

Thank you in advance!
My list:

1. Gear shift sensor
2. Extra hangers for rear mech (I ordered 5pcs)
3. Kickstand (good to have, as it can be removed/attached easily)
4. Wider/narrower tires (I took 4.8”s as snow tires for my FAT, you can go up to 3.0”)

litespeed   100 kW

100 kW
Posts: 1381
Joined: Aug 11 2010 4:42pm
Location: St. Peters, Missouri

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by litespeed » Oct 20 2019 12:24pm

That’s what I would order as well.

Tom
I'm married so you know I'm no stranger to pain!

SpeedHunter   1 mW

1 mW
Posts: 19
Joined: May 18 2016 1:19am

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by SpeedHunter » Oct 22 2019 3:00am

Hey guys, does the motor disengage during gear changes? I just rode a custom e bike today with a Bafang Mid Drive 48v1000w kit installed and it was quite jarring how the motor cut out when I changed gears... THanks

User avatar
fechter   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 14257
Joined: Dec 31 2006 3:23pm
Location: California Bay Area, USA

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by fechter » Oct 22 2019 8:01am

SpeedHunter wrote:
Oct 22 2019 3:00am
Hey guys, does the motor disengage during gear changes? I just rode a custom e bike today with a Bafang Mid Drive 48v1000w kit installed and it was quite jarring how the motor cut out when I changed gears... THanks
If the gear change sensor is installed, yes, it cuts the power when you shift to prevent damaging the chain and sprockets. Some people don't like the gear sensor and disconnect it, but then you have to manually reduce power when shifting (what I do with my BBSHD).
"One test is worth a thousand opinions"

Locked