My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Discussions related to motors other than hub motors.
This includes R/C motors, botttom bracket, roller and geared drives.
FREYebikes
100 mW
100 mW
Posts: 46
Joined: Dec 20, 2017 11:52 pm

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by FREYebikes » Feb 10, 2018 4:00 am

Yes, same chainstay 474.3mm.
Drop Dead Fred wrote:
Feb 09, 2018 2:56 pm
FREYebikes wrote:
Feb 07, 2018 12:11 am
2018 version AM1000 sample bike with some details.
QQ图片20180207115618.jpg

Head tube is shorter, 145mm instead of present 160mm
QQ图片20180207115614.jpg

It fit with seat post 31.6mm instead of present 30.4mm, so then it can fit for adjustment seat post.and with a hold for the cable
QQ图片20180207115628.jpg
QQ图片20180207115540.jpg

Adjust the points a little, try to make the bottom 2 point in flat line similar to the chain line. this adjustment make the riding more smooth. If here support video, we can upload some little video for you have a look.
QQ图片20180207115517.jpg
Standard offer is Monarch suspension, and it is possible to upgrade DELUXE suspension.

Back 2 tubes is with a little round by the edge, present frame is nearly square.
QQ图片20180207115551.jpg
QQ图片20180207115608.jpg

The Geometry is no change, mainly some details showed above. and adjust the suspension point try to make riding more smooth and comfortable.
Anyway, we will try to improve it better and better if possible to do for you.
We will develop each model base on your demands and try to do it best we can.
Hey Freyebikes (Ivy),
With the new frame will the chainstay be the same length 474.3?

FREYebikes
100 mW
100 mW
Posts: 46
Joined: Dec 20, 2017 11:52 pm

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by FREYebikes » Feb 10, 2018 4:08 am

We upload a little video to show the bike when it started by throttle and pedalling. it is very smooth and comfortable now. no sudden power feeling transfer to body, just like a regular bike.

https://youtu.be/DO0fYadJjOg

User avatar
Tom L
1 kW
1 kW
Posts: 329
Joined: Jan 15, 2012 1:09 pm
Location: Tasmania, Australia

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by Tom L » Feb 10, 2018 4:19 am

Have you updated the programming for the 2018 model, as per robocam’s earlier post here?

User avatar
DaninSpain
1 mW
1 mW
Posts: 13
Joined: Feb 04, 2018 5:28 am
Contact:

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by DaninSpain » Feb 10, 2018 12:04 pm

FREYebikes wrote:
Feb 10, 2018 4:08 am
We upload a little video to show the bike when it started by throttle and pedalling. it is very smooth and comfortable now. no sudden power feeling transfer to body, just like a regular bike.

https://youtu.be/DO0fYadJjOg
Is the old model I have ordered (still in transit) not smooth and comfortable? (Feeling worried) :(
The best things in life are not things :)

FREYebikes
100 mW
100 mW
Posts: 46
Joined: Dec 20, 2017 11:52 pm

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by FREYebikes » Feb 11, 2018 6:54 am

Hi Daniel, Present AM1000 is also good enough and very reliable quality have been recognized by customers already. Please don't worry.
You can verify it by yourself after you receive it.
DaninSpain wrote:
Feb 10, 2018 12:04 pm
FREYebikes wrote:
Feb 10, 2018 4:08 am
We upload a little video to show the bike when it started by throttle and pedalling. it is very smooth and comfortable now. no sudden power feeling transfer to body, just like a regular bike.

https://youtu.be/DO0fYadJjOg
Is the old model I have ordered (still in transit) not smooth and comfortable? (Feeling worried) :(

User avatar
Kinni420
100 W
100 W
Posts: 219
Joined: Jan 29, 2012 12:17 pm
Location: SouthPark, Co.

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by Kinni420 » Feb 12, 2018 9:17 pm

chain line alignment looks horrible!
"It has a lithium cracking station. We may be able to adapt some of its power packs to our engines." Spock, season one, episode four. 1966....How right he was.

1996 Marin Palisades Trail, 9C 2810R DD, 45A 12x 4110 mosfet Lyen extreme modder controller, Magura full twist throttle, upgraded to 12 awg phase wires, light oil cooling, 18s2p, 29 mph @ 23 wh/mi
1970 Cook Bros single speed beach cruiser serial # 1
"All I ask is a tall ship, and a load of contraband to put on her" - Quark

User avatar
DaninSpain
1 mW
1 mW
Posts: 13
Joined: Feb 04, 2018 5:28 am
Contact:

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by DaninSpain » Feb 13, 2018 10:55 am

It looks like I ordered my AM1000 at the wrong time of year. Frey packed and shipped it around a week ago and still no tracking number for the bike or the batteries :( I'm figuring that it's in a queue of exports all trying to get out before the CNY. If I receive before the end of February I'll be (pleasantly) surprised.
I guess it's kinda similar to ordering something around Christmas in The US or Europe.
Impatient :x
The best things in life are not things :)

woggs1
1 µW
1 µW
Posts: 4
Joined: Feb 03, 2018 9:54 am

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by woggs1 » Feb 13, 2018 8:38 pm

DaninSpain wrote:
Feb 13, 2018 10:55 am
It looks like I ordered my AM1000 at the wrong time of year. Frey packed and shipped it around a week ago and still no tracking number for the bike or the batteries :( I'm figuring that it's in a queue of exports all trying to get out before the CNY. If I receive before the end of February I'll be (pleasantly) surprised.
I guess it's kinda similar to ordering something around Christmas in The US or Europe.
Impatient :x
What shipping company? I bought a similar ebike from another factory in China and it shipped UPS on 2 Feb 18 and arrived at my house just south of San Francisco, California, USA on 9 Feb 18. I did get hit with almost $300 customs duty too. I guess they were honest declaring the value.
Akita Fat Bike 4 r.jpg
Akita Fat Bike 4 r.jpg (168.01 KiB) Viewed 669 times

User avatar
DaninSpain
1 mW
1 mW
Posts: 13
Joined: Feb 04, 2018 5:28 am
Contact:

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by DaninSpain » Feb 14, 2018 1:18 pm

woggs1 wrote:
Feb 13, 2018 8:38 pm
DaninSpain wrote:
Feb 13, 2018 10:55 am
It looks like I ordered my AM1000 at the wrong time of year. Frey packed and shipped it around a week ago and still no tracking number for the bike or the batteries :( I'm figuring that it's in a queue of exports all trying to get out before the CNY. If I receive before the end of February I'll be (pleasantly) surprised.
I guess it's kinda similar to ordering something around Christmas in The US or Europe.
Impatient :x
What shipping company? I bought a similar ebike from another factory in China and it shipped UPS on 2 Feb 18 and arrived at my house just south of San Francisco, California, USA on 9 Feb 18. I did get hit with almost $300 customs duty too. I guess they were honest declaring the value.

Akita Fat Bike 4 r.jpg
The bike is coming by FedEx and the battery UPS. Ivy has forwarded tracking details today, so fingers crossed I may get it sooner than I think.

That looks like a nice bike Woggs. What are your thoughts on it? Are you going to do a review for us :)
Dan
The best things in life are not things :)

woggs1
1 µW
1 µW
Posts: 4
Joined: Feb 03, 2018 9:54 am

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by woggs1 » Feb 14, 2018 9:38 pm


The bike is coming by FedEx and the battery UPS. Ivy has forwarded tracking details today, so fingers crossed I may get it sooner than I think.

That looks like a nice bike Woggs. What are your thoughts on it? Are you going to do a review for us :)
Dan

The bike is awesome, better than I expected. Maybe I will start a new thread with everything I went through and my impressions. After the Olympics of course :D

3gfrey
1 µW
1 µW
Posts: 1
Joined: Feb 18, 2018 3:44 pm

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by 3gfrey » Feb 18, 2018 3:51 pm

I ordered a 3rd gen Frey a few months ago. I have about 240 miles on the bike and almost a couple of weeks ago, the motor stopped working. I made a video of this and contacted Frey.

Ivy mentioned that she reached out to bafang rep and he is unreachable for the next two weeks due to Chinese new year.
Will keep you guys updated on how this gets resolved.


FREYebikes
100 mW
100 mW
Posts: 46
Joined: Dec 20, 2017 11:52 pm

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by FREYebikes » Feb 20, 2018 11:36 pm

Hi, Please don't worry. We are coming back on this Friday and there are after sale rep in US for bafang motor. I think we can get in touch with Bafang next week and will support you as soon as possible. Sorry for late support because of Chinese new year holiday. but it is finishing soon. and I am always available during holiday. : )
3gfrey wrote:
Feb 18, 2018 3:51 pm
I ordered a 3rd gen Frey a few months ago. I have about 240 miles on the bike and almost a couple of weeks ago, the motor stopped working. I made a video of this and contacted Frey.

Ivy mentioned that she reached out to bafang rep and he is unreachable for the next two weeks due to Chinese new year.
Will keep you guys updated on how this gets resolved.

User avatar
DaninSpain
1 mW
1 mW
Posts: 13
Joined: Feb 04, 2018 5:28 am
Contact:

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by DaninSpain » Feb 23, 2018 4:23 am

3gfrey wrote:
Feb 18, 2018 3:51 pm
I ordered a 3rd gen Frey a few months ago. I have about 240 miles on the bike and almost a couple of weeks ago, the motor stopped working. I made a video of this and contacted Frey.

Ivy mentioned that she reached out to bafang rep and he is unreachable for the next two weeks due to Chinese new year.
Will keep you guys updated on how this gets resolved.
This, for me was the biggest gamble about ordering directly from China. I received my bike a few days ago and I discovered after a 5km ride that the nut holding the left pedal crank was missing, and hence the arm fell off. I cannot say whether or not the nut was missing or it was loose and fell off during the 1st ride, but what I do know is I cannot ride my new bike until I can source a replacement nut, which is not as easy as you may think. I visited 8 bike shops before I finally ordered it online from Shimano.

I understand that a quality control issue can happen to any manufacturer, but it would normally be dealt with by the local dealer or shop you bought the item from....unless you buy directly from the manufacturer as in our case.

This is equally difficult for Frey (Ivy). As much as she is keen to help, Ivy is in China and I am in Spain.

This is one of the downsides of missing out the various stages between the manufacturer and the end user. The upside obviously being the savings you make over buying from a shop.

This last post of a failed motor sent shivers down my spine. If my motor failed as in this case, I would be up sh*t creek without a paddle as I doubt there would be anyone locally that could repair it. Would it mean I would have to pack the whole bike back in its box and ship it back to China? That doesn't bare thinking about.

It would be interesting to hear Freys ideas about after sales service...from China, and I will watch the outcome of the issue with the failed Brafang motor with great interest.
The best things in life are not things :)

tommie
10 W
10 W
Posts: 79
Joined: Jun 21, 2015 10:54 am
Location: N. Ireland

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by tommie » Feb 23, 2018 6:58 am

Left pedal crank arm loosening on the BBS02/HD versions was also an issue.
Were they already fitted or did you fit yourself?
To tighten properly use Loctite or similar threadlock along with a large Allen key and stand on the end of it to get enough torque!

Anyway should be an easy fix when you get the bolt.

btw how are these type of bikes looked upon in your part of Spain.... any problems?

mikejacko
1 µW
1 µW
Posts: 1
Joined: Jan 20, 2013 9:42 am

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by mikejacko » Feb 23, 2018 9:21 am

Has anyone bought one of these in the UK,just wondering how much I'll pay in customs.

User avatar
tumich
100 W
100 W
Posts: 180
Joined: May 28, 2014 3:28 am
Location: EU

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by tumich » Feb 23, 2018 10:49 am

Can you make similar battery case like that?
Image
My ebikes:
1. Ebike with Bosch CX
2. Cargo ebike with custom 4,5kWh battery and Bafang Ultra Drive 1000W
3. Treking bike with 250W PAS and 34Ah battery

Cheap, new, oryginal li-ion cells 18650 up to 3500mAh from 1,09$/each!-> https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewt ... 31&t=61608

User avatar
DaninSpain
1 mW
1 mW
Posts: 13
Joined: Feb 04, 2018 5:28 am
Contact:

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by DaninSpain » Feb 23, 2018 11:23 am

tommie wrote:
Feb 23, 2018 6:58 am
Left pedal crank arm loosening on the BBS02/HD versions was also an issue.
Were they already fitted or did you fit yourself?
To tighten properly use Loctite or similar threadlock along with a large Allen key and stand on the end of it to get enough torque!

Anyway should be an easy fix when you get the bolt.

btw how are these type of bikes looked upon in your part of Spain.... any problems?
Thanks for the heads up Tommie. The arms were already on when I received the bike. The bolt arrived and all is fixed. At the same time as ordering the bolts, I ordered some loctite :D

At the moment these types of bikes are overlooked by the authorities in Spain, so as long as I don't do anything stupid I'm not anticipating any problems (famous last words) :roll:
The best things in life are not things :)

User avatar
tumich
100 W
100 W
Posts: 180
Joined: May 28, 2014 3:28 am
Location: EU

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by tumich » Feb 24, 2018 8:45 pm

Brand called Volton made similar ebike based on Bafang Ultra and that frame.

Image
My ebikes:
1. Ebike with Bosch CX
2. Cargo ebike with custom 4,5kWh battery and Bafang Ultra Drive 1000W
3. Treking bike with 250W PAS and 34Ah battery

Cheap, new, oryginal li-ion cells 18650 up to 3500mAh from 1,09$/each!-> https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewt ... 31&t=61608

Post Reply