My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Discussions related to motors other than hub motors.
This includes R/C motors, botttom bracket, roller and geared drives.
FREYebikes   100 W

100 W
Posts: 113
Joined: Dec 20 2017 11:52pm

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by FREYebikes » Aug 12 2018 9:30pm

Hi Sean,

Bafang told that the motor in 500W version can't afford the 52V battery. that's why it burnt. We haven't realized it. if Bafang in US can't solve the motor issue in your side, Please contact us. we will support. Please don't worry.
we will suggest customers to take 48V which is fit better than 52V for the motor.
dalysea wrote:
Aug 10 2018 4:56pm
Hi all,

I have some sad news to report. My weight plus the hills of San Francisco finally proved to be too much for the Bafang motor. The display powers on, the battery is full, but neither the throttle nor the pedal assist are getting any power from the motor.

I'll be shipping the motor to a Bafang support person in Las Vegas to see what the specific cause of death was, and let you all know in case it is helpful information.

I want to say that this is not Frey's fault and I still think Bafang is the best motor to use. I don't know yet what happened to it, but in Bafang's defense, I've attached a photo from the top of the hill that defeated it. This is one of the Twin Peaks, the highest points in the city of San Francisco.


20180807_221134-2095x1197.jpg

Cheers,
Sean

FREYebikes   100 W

100 W
Posts: 113
Joined: Dec 20 2017 11:52pm

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by FREYebikes » Aug 12 2018 9:34pm

Hi,

We are really sorry about the EX1 not available because of the short supply and longer delivery time. We owe several sets of EX1 to some customer, as supplier told, the set should be available around 20th, August, so I think it will be available soon after 1 week more, and then we can arrange it for you.
About the color, maybe we have some misunderstanding earlier, so far we do not have polish alloy in good surface treatment, only the alloy original color we've showed earlier. but not sure whether customer can accept it as a finish product or not.
Cruncher123 wrote:
Aug 08 2018 11:17pm
Richard N wrote:
Aug 05 2018 4:34pm
Ivanovitch_k wrote:
Aug 05 2018 4:18am
Richard N wrote:
Aug 04 2018 10:40pm
The charger plug looks like a 3 pin Mini-DIN, but without the square center post. Do they come without that post? Can you rid yourself of
it's not DIN. The closest match I have found is GX-16 3-pins.

However, the stock cable is Reention-branded (the mfg. of the battery case), and It looks like the individual pin diameter is smaller than the GX.

Anyhow, Ivy is able to sell the spare charge cables. As well as the discharge plug & sockets.

I made an 3pin XLR to reention GX to use the satiator, works fine.
I am very impressed with both Frey and Ivy! First rate communication for what must be an endless stream of questions.
I wasn't impressed and was disappointed and frustrated. My bike was supposed to be polished aluminum. Came flat black. Was supposed to have SRAM EX1 installed. Still haven"t got the groupset, but I see someone just got one delivered with SRAM recently? Ivy said none were available 6 weeks ago and wouldn't ship until Aug 20 a few days ago, so somebody's fibbing.

Lots of miscommunications despite my best efforts to pin things down and ask for updates via multiple messages. It was also delivered a few weeks later than promised. All-in-all, plenty of needless issues arose due to poor communication and/or language barrier.

hoojsn   1 W

1 W
Posts: 54
Joined: Dec 11 2017 11:58pm

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by hoojsn » Aug 13 2018 4:18am

dalysea wrote:
Aug 12 2018 10:57am
Ivanovitch_k wrote:
Aug 10 2018 5:58pm
dalysea wrote:
Aug 10 2018 4:56pm
I have some sad news to report. My weight plus the hills of San Francisco finally proved to be too much for the Bafang motor. The display powers on, the battery is full, but neither the throttle nor the pedal assist are getting any power from the motor.
damn, two Ultras gone in this thread already :(

Hope frey or bafang gets you a new one asap...

The display did not give any error code ? Looking forward to the cause of death anyways.
The error code was 04, which I've seen listed as either "Throttle not homing/throttle not returning to zero state" or "Battery overvoltage"

This was the 2nd time that I'd used the G510.500 motor with a 52 volt battery. Joe Zhang from Bafang says the G510.500 is not intended to be used with a 52 volt battery, but he said this right after I mentioned that, so I'm not convinced. The specs on the G510.500 are not on Bafang's website, and he explained that's because they only sell them to customers who ask for them. He said he can upgrade it to a G510.1000, but the controller was already showing 48V when connected with a programming cable, so I'm pretty sure these motors were already upgraded. What I actually wanted was to trade it in for an actual G510.1000 with the orange cover, labeled G510.1000, etc. not just a controller upgrade, which I think is what he's offering.

Anyway, I tried swapping out the throttle or not having any throttle connected at all in case that was the issue. Neither helped.

Thanks,
Sean
I don't understand why people ask for 500watts in the 1st place with the Ultra? Mine was with the silver & black cover and it still 1,000 watts. 2,000 miles on it and ride still smooth as silk. Maybe those think 1000watts too much should use M600.. which are more Hi-tech.

User avatar
trooper5707   100 mW

100 mW
Posts: 35
Joined: Jun 11 2018 10:32am

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by trooper5707 » Aug 13 2018 7:45am

Update on my snapped derailer, I went to install the new one this weekend and the derailer carrier was severely bent. Must have taken a hit in shipping. I was able to straighten it then install a new shimano XT. Dialed in the setup, set my sag up (I was like 75% as shipped - took the pressure up to 25%)

Unfortunately it was a pretty rainy day - so only got a little test riding, but it is def shifting fine now and riding well.
Frey AM1000 - Speed Machine
Rad Rover - Work Horse
Rad mini - On the go
Home Brew Hub 1000W Hub build
Xiaomi M365

dalysea   100 mW

100 mW
Posts: 42
Joined: Mar 13 2018 8:42pm

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by dalysea » Aug 13 2018 12:47pm

hoojsn wrote:
Aug 13 2018 4:18am
dalysea wrote:
Aug 12 2018 10:57am

This was the 2nd time that I'd used the G510.500 motor with a 52 volt battery. Joe Zhang from Bafang says the G510.500 is not intended to be used with a 52 volt battery, but he said this right after I mentioned that, so I'm not convinced. The specs on the G510.500 are not on Bafang's website, and he explained that's because they only sell them to customers who ask for them. He said he can upgrade it to a G510.1000, but the controller was already showing 48V when connected with a programming cable, so I'm pretty sure these motors were already upgraded. What I actually wanted was to trade it in for an actual G510.1000 with the orange cover, labeled G510.1000, etc. not just a controller upgrade, which I think is what he's offering.
I don't understand why people ask for 500watts in the 1st place with the Ultra? Mine was with the silver & black cover and it still 1,000 watts. 2,000 miles on it and ride still smooth as silk. Maybe those think 1000watts too much should use M600.. which are more Hi-tech.
If you have the silver and black cover, then you probably have a G510.500 motor. Not to speak on their behalf, but the likely reason customers such as Frey obtained these motors was that Bafang is able to upgrade them to 1000 watts. Now Bafang is telling Frey (and me) that a G510.500 cannot handle a 52 volt battery like the G510.1000 can. If you have a silver and black cover and it is a G510.500 and you're using a 52 volt battery for 2000 miles, then this is good news. Maybe mine was not upgraded to 1000 watts properly by Bafang. We'll find out.

But just to be clear, no one was asking for 500 watts, that's just the name of the model of motor, and I suspect it is the model you have, maybe not.

Also, did you go in and change the default programming? By default they are shipped with Limited Current set to 12 Amps. 48 volts x 12 Amps is 576 watts. As compared to the Frey that I have with G510.1000 with orange and black cover that came with default Limited Current set at 30 amps.

Here are screen shots of the controller information for both the G510.500 and the G510.1000. Both controllers are rated at a nominal 48 volts and max current of 30 amps, i.e. 1440 watts.

G510.500_controller.jpg
G510.500_controller.jpg (13.55 KiB) Viewed 1227 times
G510.1000_controller.jpg
G510.1000_controller.jpg (13.95 KiB) Viewed 1227 times

Cheers,
Sean

hoojsn   1 W

1 W
Posts: 54
Joined: Dec 11 2017 11:58pm

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by hoojsn » Aug 13 2018 1:32pm

dalysea wrote:
Aug 13 2018 12:47pm
hoojsn wrote:
Aug 13 2018 4:18am
dalysea wrote:
Aug 12 2018 10:57am

This was the 2nd time that I'd used the G510.500 motor with a 52 volt battery. Joe Zhang from Bafang says the G510.500 is not intended to be used with a 52 volt battery, but he said this right after I mentioned that, so I'm not convinced. The specs on the G510.500 are not on Bafang's website, and he explained that's because they only sell them to customers who ask for them. He said he can upgrade it to a G510.1000, but the controller was already showing 48V when connected with a programming cable, so I'm pretty sure these motors were already upgraded. What I actually wanted was to trade it in for an actual G510.1000 with the orange cover, labeled G510.1000, etc. not just a controller upgrade, which I think is what he's offering.
I don't understand why people ask for 500watts in the 1st place with the Ultra? Mine was with the silver & black cover and it still 1,000 watts. 2,000 miles on it and ride still smooth as silk. Maybe those think 1000watts too much should use M600.. which are more Hi-tech.
If you have the silver and black cover, then you probably have a G510.500 motor. Not to speak on their behalf, but the likely reason customers such as Frey obtained these motors was that Bafang is able to upgrade them to 1000 watts. Now Bafang is telling Frey (and me) that a G510.500 cannot handle a 52 volt battery like the G510.1000 can. If you have a silver and black cover and it is a G510.500 and you're using a 52 volt battery for 2000 miles, then this is good news. Maybe mine was not upgraded to 1000 watts properly by Bafang. We'll find out.

But just to be clear, no one was asking for 500 watts, that's just the name of the model of motor, and I suspect it is the model you have, maybe not.

Also, did you go in and change the default programming? By default they are shipped with Limited Current set to 12 Amps. 48 volts x 12 Amps is 576 watts.

Here are screen shots of the controller information for both the G510.500 and the G510.1000. Both controllers are rated at a nominal 48 volts and max current of 30 amps, i.e. 1440 watts.


G510.500_controller.jpg

G510.1000_controller.jpg


Cheers,
Sean
My definitely 1000 watts but came with 48V battery. My setting was default but I ask them to remove the speed limitation that I thought might be difficult to set. But after reading thru the manual it was in fact pretty simple. In regard of Orange or Silver plate, the factory could request the colour that you want. You can look at another suppler FLX.. their bikes comes with Silver Plate too.."Orange Colour doesn't blend in with the bike colour" No offending if you order 1000 watts, and the factory send you 500 watts, bike factory should be responsible & liable for the wrong motor. I could easily achieved 35 mph with this beast.

dalysea   100 mW

100 mW
Posts: 42
Joined: Mar 13 2018 8:42pm

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by dalysea » Aug 13 2018 3:46pm

hoojsn wrote:
Aug 13 2018 1:32pm

My definitely 1000 watts but came with 48V battery. My setting was default but I ask them to remove the speed limitation that I thought might be difficult to set. But after reading thru the manual it was in fact pretty simple. In regard of Orange or Silver plate, the factory could request the colour that you want. You can look at another suppler FLX.. their bikes comes with Silver Plate too.."Orange Colour doesn't blend in with the bike colour" No offending if you order 1000 watts, and the factory send you 500 watts, bike factory should be responsible & liable for the wrong motor. I could easily achieved 35 mph with this beast.
I think you are still misunderstanding. The color of the plate is not a preference for me, it was an indicator of which model the motor is.

You imply that I ordered a 1000 watt motor and was sent a 500 watt motor instead. You are mistaken. That is not what happened, so I'm not offended at all.

My G510.500 was absolutely capable of over 35mph with no problems. I won't jump to any conclusions about why it isn't supplying power at the moment, but I can safely say it wasn't speed that caused the issue.

Removing the speed limitation is not the same as programming the Current Limitation. But if you can achieve 35mph, then, in all likelihood, they set your Current Limitation to 30 Amps.

If you believe that you have a G510.1000, please take a photo of the bottom of your motor and post it. I'm honestly glad you are really enjoying your Frey e-bike. I like them too. I'm just trying to make sure we share accurate technical information here.

Thanks,
Sean

hoojsn   1 W

1 W
Posts: 54
Joined: Dec 11 2017 11:58pm

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by hoojsn » Aug 14 2018 12:53pm

dalysea wrote:
Aug 13 2018 3:46pm
hoojsn wrote:
Aug 13 2018 1:32pm

My definitely 1000 watts but came with 48V battery. My setting was default but I ask them to remove the speed limitation that I thought might be difficult to set. But after reading thru the manual it was in fact pretty simple. In regard of Orange or Silver plate, the factory could request the colour that you want. You can look at another suppler FLX.. their bikes comes with Silver Plate too.."Orange Colour doesn't blend in with the bike colour" No offending if you order 1000 watts, and the factory send you 500 watts, bike factory should be responsible & liable for the wrong motor. I could easily achieved 35 mph with this beast.
I think you are still misunderstanding. The color of the plate is not a preference for me, it was an indicator of which model the motor is.

You imply that I ordered a 1000 watt motor and was sent a 500 watt motor instead. You are mistaken. That is not what happened, so I'm not offended at all.

My G510.500 was absolutely capable of over 35mph with no problems. I won't jump to any conclusions about why it isn't supplying power at the moment, but I can safely say it wasn't speed that caused the issue.

Removing the speed limitation is not the same as programming the Current Limitation. But if you can achieve 35mph, then, in all likelihood, they set your Current Limitation to 30 Amps.

If you believe that you have a G510.1000, please take a photo of the bottom of your motor and post it. I'm honestly glad you are really enjoying your Frey e-bike. I like them too. I'm just trying to make sure we share accurate technical information here.

Thanks,
Sean
Thanks Sean, actually I really didn't know they put label below the motor until you mention it. Enclosed the photo.
Attachments
Bafang Motor 48V 1000watts1.jpg
Bafang Motor 48V 1000watts1.jpg (87.36 KiB) Viewed 1149 times
48v1000w motor.jpg
48v1000w motor.jpg (18.54 KiB) Viewed 1149 times

dalysea   100 mW

100 mW
Posts: 42
Joined: Mar 13 2018 8:42pm

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by dalysea » Aug 14 2018 1:58pm

hoojsn wrote:
Aug 14 2018 12:53pm

Thanks Sean, actually I really didn't know they put label below the motor until you mention it. Enclosed the photo.
Thank you! So my theory about the cover identifying the model was not correct, that is good to know, thanks again for posting the photo. The bike looks really good in all black!

I left my tools at work so I wasn't able to take my motor off for shipping yet. I'll keep y'all updated.

Cheers,
Sean

Hardcore   100 mW

100 mW
Posts: 37
Joined: Mar 22 2018 7:19pm

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by Hardcore » Aug 15 2018 11:34am

Hi all,

I'm having the Sram ex1 cassette but the chain started skipping on the lower two sprockets. Does someone know how to get replacements for these (in Europe)?

Cheers,
H

leelorr   100 W

100 W
Posts: 132
Joined: Dec 02 2013 8:16pm
Location: Rio Rancho, New Mexico, USA

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by leelorr » Aug 15 2018 11:39am

The chain skipping can just be a derailleur adjustment. The last bike I ordered did this until I adjusted it so that the rear derailleur wrapped around more of the sprocket (and engaged more teeth).
Last edited by leelorr on Aug 15 2018 3:53pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Ivanovitch_k   10 W

10 W
Posts: 96
Joined: Jul 15 2017 4:54pm
Location: Paris, France

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by Ivanovitch_k » Aug 15 2018 3:41pm

Hardcore wrote:
Aug 15 2018 11:34am
I'm having the Sram ex1 cassette but the chain started skipping on the lower two sprockets. Does someone know how to get replacements for these (in Europe)?
might be available here or here but overall it seems out of stock everywhere else and I've heard rumors of sram discontinuing the EX-1 line...
BBS'ed Radon ZR Team 8:
BBS02B 750W - DPC750C - 48V 17.5Ah GA shark - 11 spd 11-40 Shimano XT, 42T N-W Precialps CW, KMC X11e chain, Gearsensor, XT RD, XTR Shifter, F Saint Brake, R XT Brake, RT99 200/160 Discs, magnetic shutoff, DT Swiss X1900 QR9 wheels, Manitou M30 air fork, 2.4" slick balloon schwalbe Super Moto X tires @2 bars, Suntour NCX suspension seatpost, ergon SFC3 saddle, ergon GP3 grips, Supernova M99 Pro + E12 Taillight

dalysea   100 mW

100 mW
Posts: 42
Joined: Mar 13 2018 8:42pm

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by dalysea » Aug 15 2018 9:29pm

"The chain path across the cassette is highly controlled. The chain can only sit in a specific place on the cassette, correction teeth ensure this happens on every rotation or shift if the chain is out of sync."

Could the skipping be from the correction they talk about?

leelorr   100 W

100 W
Posts: 132
Joined: Dec 02 2013 8:16pm
Location: Rio Rancho, New Mexico, USA

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by leelorr » Aug 15 2018 10:24pm

Here is what was causing the chain skipping on only the smaller sprockets in my case:

The chain has to have the correct number of links for the range from smallest sprocket to largest sprocket, and size of the sprockets you have. Notice how the rear derailleur angles much more to the front of the bike to take up the slack in the chain as you shift onto the smaller rear sprockets, and how the angle of the derailleur angles much more to the rear when you shift into the larger sprockets. The number of chain links used is usually set by the manufacturer for the bike and sprocket range, but if the cassette is changed, the number of links may need to be changed so that the derailleur falls into the correct position (angled forward or reverse) when you shift. When you shift onto the smaller rear sprockets, and the rear derailleur is not angled forward enough, there may not be enough chain wrapped around the small sprocket to keep the chain from skipping over the very few teeth it is touching. When the rear derailleur is more forward, the chain wraps around more teeth of the sprocket, and the skipping is stopped. There is also an adjustment on the rear derailleur that changes it's front to rear angle. This adjustment, or the number of chain links can both cause this symptom. It may be that derailleur adjustment is not correct, or the number of links in the chain needs to be changed. If the rear cassette was changed, then this condition is even more likely. Or the bike just may not have been adjusted correctly. In my case I had installed a cassette with different sprocket sizes, and the rear derailleur was angled more rearward, so the chain was only wrapping around 2 teeth on the smaller sprockets. I used the adjustment screw on the derailleur to angle it more forward, and the problem was fixed because of the additional tooth that the chain was then wrapping around.
Good luck,
Lorrin

Ender2000   1 mW

1 mW
Posts: 15
Joined: Apr 11 2009 5:55pm

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by Ender2000 » Aug 16 2018 12:36am

Hey guys,

Does anyone know a decent rear bike light that connects with the g510? I ride a lot at night and I'm very interested in having a rear light that I don't separately have to charge or get off my bike to turn on.

User avatar
trooper5707   100 mW

100 mW
Posts: 35
Joined: Jun 11 2018 10:32am

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by trooper5707 » Aug 16 2018 7:50am

Ender2000 wrote:
Aug 16 2018 12:36am
Hey guys,

Does anyone know a decent rear bike light that connects with the g510? I ride a lot at night and I'm very interested in having a rear light that I don't separately have to charge or get off my bike to turn on.
I had them wire one in on mine, both headlight and tail. I can see if I can find any branding on it tonight.
Frey AM1000 - Speed Machine
Rad Rover - Work Horse
Rad mini - On the go
Home Brew Hub 1000W Hub build
Xiaomi M365

dalysea   100 mW

100 mW
Posts: 42
Joined: Mar 13 2018 8:42pm

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by dalysea » Aug 16 2018 9:14pm

Ender2000 wrote:
Aug 16 2018 12:36am
Hey guys,

Does anyone know a decent rear bike light that connects with the g510? I ride a lot at night and I'm very interested in having a rear light that I don't separately have to charge or get off my bike to turn on.
Tom L had some great posts a while back on wiring up the lights. Has anyone tried the Nip n Tuck light set?

User avatar
Richard N   10 W

10 W
Posts: 99
Joined: Apr 22 2011 5:58pm
Location: Victoris BC, CA

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by Richard N » Aug 17 2018 8:22am

hoojsn wrote:
Aug 14 2018 12:53pm
dalysea wrote:
Aug 13 2018 3:46pm
hoojsn wrote:
Aug 13 2018 1:32pm

My definitely 1000 watts but came with 48V battery. My setting was default but I ask them to remove the speed limitation that I thought might be difficult to set. But after reading thru the manual it was in fact pretty simple. In regard of Orange or Silver plate, the factory could request the colour that you want. You can look at another suppler FLX.. their bikes comes with Silver Plate too.."Orange Colour doesn't blend in with the bike colour" No offending if you order 1000 watts, and the factory send you 500 watts, bike factory should be responsible & liable for the wrong motor. I could easily achieved 35 mph with this beast.
I think you are still misunderstanding. The color of the plate is not a preference for me, it was an indicator of which model the motor is.

You imply that I ordered a 1000 watt motor and was sent a 500 watt motor instead. You are mistaken. That is not what happened, so I'm not offended at all.

My G510.500 was absolutely capable of over 35mph with no problems. I won't jump to any conclusions about why it isn't supplying power at the moment, but I can safely say it wasn't speed that caused the issue.

Removing the speed limitation is not the same as programming the Current Limitation. But if you can achieve 35mph, then, in all likelihood, they set your Current Limitation to 30 Amps.

If you believe that you have a G510.1000, please take a photo of the bottom of your motor and post it. I'm honestly glad you are really enjoying your Frey e-bike. I like them too. I'm just trying to make sure we share accurate technical information here.

Thanks,
Sean
Thanks Sean, actually I really didn't know they put label below the motor until you mention it. Enclosed the photo.
Could you tell us which supplier you ordered you bike from?

dalysea   100 mW

100 mW
Posts: 42
Joined: Mar 13 2018 8:42pm

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by dalysea » Aug 18 2018 3:57am

Richard N wrote:
Aug 17 2018 8:22am
hoojsn wrote:
Aug 13 2018 1:32pm

In regard of Orange or Silver plate, the factory could request the colour that you want. You can look at another suppler FLX.. their bikes comes with Silver Plate too.."Orange Colour doesn't blend in with the bike colour"
Could you tell us which supplier you ordered you bike from?
He mentioned FLX, not sure if that is the supplier from whom he actually ordered, but I was curious so I did contact them:

Sagui Aug 15, 03:58

Hi Sean,

​We have the G510.1000 motor, the motors were custom made for us and we didn't want to have the orange logo. The FLX Blade uses the Bafang Ultra mid-drive motor. It's rated 1000W nominal power and can reach 1400 watts of peak power.


But the next day a woman from FLX called and said she hadn't noticed it before, but she had figured out what I meant by the logo being orange. So it seems they can offer both (as hoojsn said). Bafang will give you whatever you ask as long as you're buying 50 or more motors. :-)

Not sure if this is even why you were asking, but just sharing since I thought it was mildly interesting.

Cheers,
Sean

dalysea   100 mW

100 mW
Posts: 42
Joined: Mar 13 2018 8:42pm

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by dalysea » Aug 18 2018 1:42pm

I shipped the motor to Bafang for troubleshooting. Here are some photos in case anyone can spot something wrong. The pinched speed sensor wire is bad, but wasn't causing any issue. And I see there is a nylon gear inside, but the gear doesn't look melted or anything. I wasn't able to get the cover off the other side of the motor, so no way to do a post-mortem on that wiring unfortunately.

pinched_speed_sensor_wire.jpg
pinched_speed_sensor_wire.jpg (93.26 KiB) Viewed 858 times
power_wires.jpg
power_wires.jpg (143.01 KiB) Viewed 858 times
main_wires.jpg
main_wires.jpg (121.99 KiB) Viewed 858 times
blue_connector.jpg
blue_connector.jpg (89.44 KiB) Viewed 858 times
gears1.jpg
gears1.jpg (161.7 KiB) Viewed 858 times
gears2.jpg
gears2.jpg (179.38 KiB) Viewed 858 times
gears3.jpg
gears3.jpg (143.7 KiB) Viewed 858 times
gears4.jpg
gears4.jpg (121.44 KiB) Viewed 858 times
inside1.jpg
inside1.jpg (166.52 KiB) Viewed 858 times
inside2.jpg
inside2.jpg (171.29 KiB) Viewed 858 times
inside3.jpg
inside3.jpg (100.28 KiB) Viewed 858 times

User avatar
Ivanovitch_k   10 W

10 W
Posts: 96
Joined: Jul 15 2017 4:54pm
Location: Paris, France

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by Ivanovitch_k » Aug 19 2018 9:52am

nothing looks wrong there, but hard to tell without examining the gears up close (especially the movement of the pawl clutch and the needle bearing clutch).

Also, your motor appear to be an early V1.0 with the white pcb and nylon gear so hopefully your replacement will be a supposedly more reliable v1.5. The speedo cable is still pinched but maybe not as bad as yours or the v1.5.

For the winding-side cover, it's quite hard to remove, I had to do serious taping with a rubber mallet to open it.
BBS'ed Radon ZR Team 8:
BBS02B 750W - DPC750C - 48V 17.5Ah GA shark - 11 spd 11-40 Shimano XT, 42T N-W Precialps CW, KMC X11e chain, Gearsensor, XT RD, XTR Shifter, F Saint Brake, R XT Brake, RT99 200/160 Discs, magnetic shutoff, DT Swiss X1900 QR9 wheels, Manitou M30 air fork, 2.4" slick balloon schwalbe Super Moto X tires @2 bars, Suntour NCX suspension seatpost, ergon SFC3 saddle, ergon GP3 grips, Supernova M99 Pro + E12 Taillight

User avatar
Daxxie   1 W

1 W
Posts: 56
Joined: Feb 14 2017 9:35am

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by Daxxie » Aug 19 2018 1:18pm

Ivanovitch_k wrote:
Aug 19 2018 9:52am
For the winding-side cover, it's quite hard to remove, I had to do serious taping with a rubber mallet to open it.
Did you get the winding core out?
Looks like its glued.

Image

User avatar
Ivanovitch_k   10 W

10 W
Posts: 96
Joined: Jul 15 2017 4:54pm
Location: Paris, France

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by Ivanovitch_k » Aug 19 2018 1:35pm

nope, couldn't even get the rotor out... but it's screwed on the sides iirc.

You vice-gripped onto the bearing and pulled out ? Bearing wasn't damaged ?
BBS'ed Radon ZR Team 8:
BBS02B 750W - DPC750C - 48V 17.5Ah GA shark - 11 spd 11-40 Shimano XT, 42T N-W Precialps CW, KMC X11e chain, Gearsensor, XT RD, XTR Shifter, F Saint Brake, R XT Brake, RT99 200/160 Discs, magnetic shutoff, DT Swiss X1900 QR9 wheels, Manitou M30 air fork, 2.4" slick balloon schwalbe Super Moto X tires @2 bars, Suntour NCX suspension seatpost, ergon SFC3 saddle, ergon GP3 grips, Supernova M99 Pro + E12 Taillight

User avatar
Daxxie   1 W

1 W
Posts: 56
Joined: Feb 14 2017 9:35am

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by Daxxie » Aug 20 2018 7:31am

Ivanovitch_k wrote:
Aug 19 2018 1:35pm
nope, couldn't even get the rotor out... but it's screwed on the sides iirc.

You vice-gripped onto the bearing and pulled out ? Bearing wasn't damaged ?
I gripped it in the bigger holes of the rotor. Not the bearing. Wasn't so hard.
But the windings? Must be glued, it won't budge.

wstud   1 µW

1 µW
Posts: 1
Joined: Aug 24 2018 1:29pm

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by wstud » Aug 28 2018 11:07pm

Ender2000 wrote:
Aug 16 2018 12:36am
Hey guys,

Does anyone know a decent rear bike light that connects with the g510? I ride a lot at night and I'm very interested in having a rear light that I don't separately have to charge or get off my bike to turn on.
Was thinking of getting this setup:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07B1 ... 7SO2&psc=1

Says it is for
Bafang mid-drive.

Post Reply