Brushed motor. Rust on brush wire

Pota

100 W
Does this rust affect performance and or negativ impact on the motor? Or is it mainly aesthetically? i other word, not nice to look at :)
RustyWire.jpg

That doesn't look bad enough to significantly affect performance. Most old motors get to looking that way. It's much more important where it attaches to the terminal screws. Make sure it looks clean under there.

Thanks for the info Fetcher. Ill take a look :)

Which of these do you think looks most promising?

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=forklift+motor&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.XPresolite+MTY+400.TRS0&_nkw=Presolite+MTY+4001&_sacat=0

Hard to say from the pictures. To me, the most important thing is the condition of the commutator. Brushes are easy to replace, and bearings are not too hard either, but if the comm is bad, it's a lot of work.

The RU (remanufactured) looks cleaner, but that doesent have to be the best because of that?

Yeah its hard to see, but the seller dont know either. He just said they where in working condition before it was removed.

Remanufactured would be OK if it was done properly. That would be just as much a gamble as the others.

You could possibly as the seller for a picture of the commutator (between the brushes). Pretty much anything else you can fix fairly easily.

Pota said:
Does this rust affect performance and or negativ impact on the motor? Or is it mainly aesthetically? i other word, not nice to look at :)
RustyWire.jpg

The copper wire coming from the brush does not rust. Rust is iron oxide. Corroded copper is green or blue-green in color. So if the substance on the copper pigtail is rust, it came from elsewhere and is of no consequence or could be cleaned off.

If on the other hand, what we're looking at is discoloration of the copper different from the adjacent brushes, then it could be due to excessive heat. Likely cause is unequal current sharing. Current is split between 4 brushes; adjacent neighbor and 2 at 180° opposite on the comm. Check and clean the connections, make sure the bush slides freely in the holder, all spring forces are equal and brush face seating is equal amongst the 4. Also check the pigtail connection to the carbon/graphite block, called the tamp. If loose, replace brush. It actually does not look like a severe problem from here. If worried, you could trade positions with one of the other brushes in the motor and see if the problem follows, stays or disappears.

major

I have two picture of the two different motors comutator

How do they look?

Attachments

• 20171201_092050-1.jpg
    20171201_092050-1.jpg
    386.4 KB · Views: 1,082
  • 20171201_092918.jpg
    20171201_092918.jpg
    353.2 KB · Views: 1,082
Back