New kit features from Cyclone tw

methods

1 GW
I could not be more pleased with the kit I received from Cyclone tw.
Those of you who have seen former kits will notice several distinct differences.

7 tooth freewheel motor shaft (ratchet-less directional clutch)
New_Cyclone_Kit_005.jpg

3 Piece crank: 44 - 44 - 24
New_Cyclone_Kit_002.jpg
New_Cyclone_Kit_009.jpg
New_Cyclone_Kit_003.jpg

Ghetto fabulous tensioner
New_Cyclone_Kit_004.jpg

I do apologize for the cell phone pictures btw.

These new kits are using the same motor that Gary has.
Looks like the old 36V motor but these are much more powerful
3600 RPM
98kg/cm torque
2.2KW, 48V @ 45A
4.4KW, 48V @ 90A for 30 seconds

7T freewheel on the motor drives 44T at the crank
24T at the crank drives the rear

I dont think you can beat this for $300
New_Cyclone_Kit_001.jpg

Same connectors as xlyte
View attachment 2

Fasteners seem good enough to me (though I will swap them all for mill spec)
New_Cyclone_Kit_010.jpg

Really happy with the electrical kit. I have no intention of using it (well, I will use the halls) but still very nice.
High quality wires all set up.

I originally inquired about the 3kw kit and was told that it ships with a Kelly.
I already have a monster KBL so I saved a few bucks by dumping the controller and throttle.

Paco was a very good communicator too btw.
Shipping took a while but that was due to waiting for the newer kit to come in.
Paco and I traded 25 emails which says a lot for an overseas supplier.

The thought process behind moving to a 3 piece crank was to allow the rider to switch from the 24T front to the 44T if they ran out of batteries and needed to pedal.

You will be seeing this kit featured soon in: "The Ghetto Booster" thread
The ol'kona stink has been upgraded with 8" Avid Juicy 7 brakes, indexed shifting, monster tires right off of Big Foot, and the 7" suspension is all tuned up for the extra weight.
Batteries have been reconfigured into 44.4V 20Ah slabs that are only 3" thick. They mount to the sides of the frame and there is room for another 20Ah.
The purpose of this build is to learn the ropes before I move on to my secret weapon -> Code named "Luke's quiet shame".

So anyways... yea... $300
IMHO a much better buy than a replacement 5305 hub.
I am confident (ok, hopeful) that I will be able to spank anyone running an X5 on acceleration, top speed, power to weight, and off-road performance.
I will be running the Kelly current limit starting at 100A. This time around I will probably run temperature probes.

See you at "The Ghetto Booster"
And keep an eye out for "The Tender Brandson" thread ( a bike that I recently built for my wife that probably smokes most ebikes on the street )
The Tender Brandson will receive this Cyclone kit after I upgrade to RC motors. (emphases on the plural)

-methods

Interesting. Adding the clutch to the motor sprocket will allow pedaling without the motor drag, but I still think the 7T will be noisy as hell, because the chain just has to hard a time getting around it. Miles has a term for it, but I forgot it, yet again. :? It's too bad they can't go a bit bigger, like 10 or 11T, and then go to a larger chain ring to keep close to the same ratio.

The 24T to the back will make for gobs of low-end torque, but it makes pedaling pretty much impossible. Interesting that they add a 3rd sprocket to use for pedaling. I guess this would work with a standard derailleur, but not sure how you manage it with a multi-speed hub.

Glad to see they finally have some useful mounting hardware. They used to just supply all the parts for the 350-650W kits, most of which are useless, and a hacked up mount.

-- Gary

Awesome Methy!

I'm pumped to see how it turns out! I bet you love it :)

"The purpose of this build is to learn the ropes before I move on to my secret weapon -> Code named "Luke's quiet shame"."

So, this is a pre-build to prepare for a build to shame mine? :) It's good to have the Methy I know and love back :)

I gotta warn you though, I put together a battery pack for my bike that can burst 70kw and sustain 50kw. I plan on milking it's full power potential with my next build. 10-14kw is good down low, but wimpy at higher speeds. I'm going for 50kw or bust on my next bicycle build. I want 12s in the quarter trapping maybe 110mph from my next bicycle, and I'm thinking about doing a recumbent for the drag advantage and resistance to wheelies. I will keep the other bike for offroad stuff.

liveforphysics said:
I'm thinking about doing a recumbent for the drag advantage and resistance to wheelies. I will keep the other bike for offroad stuff.

Ahh, a man after my own heart.

Matt

P.S. I know about Method's secret build. :wink:

yoyoman said:
So, are a controller, throttle and batteries the only missing items from a complete kit?

Yep.
If you go to the site and look up the prices for the 1kw, 1.5kw, and 3.0kw the only difference will be the addition of (1) controller and (1) throttle.

-methods

GGoodrum said:
The 24T to the back will make for gobs of low-end torque, but it makes pedaling pretty much impossible.

I will miss being able to pedal. On my "Tender Brandson" build I have it set up so that I can pedal at the top speed of 30mph. Feels really good to pedal at that speed.

Either way I always pretend to pedal anyway. My legs are trained to move no matter what to fool the "Haters of Electric Bicycles of America club" or HEBA

-methods

methods said:
The purpose of this build is to learn the ropes before I move on to my secret weapon -> Code named "Luke's quiet shame".

Will it have 2 or 3 wheelz Methods? Either way i feel Luke is quietly worried now you have
shaken off this fascination with hub motors and are getting serious LoL :p

methods said:
IMHO a much better buy than a replacement 5305 hub.
I am confident (ok, hopeful) that I will be able to spank anyone running an X5 on acceleration, top speed, power to weight, and off-road performance.

Should get you into low 7s on 100 meter acceleration run Patrick :) Hell i reckon my old thing would get down close to it (will soon see) Poor ol doc will have to rig up a trailer piled up with more Konion cells just too keep up hehehe...160volt time is it Doc? LOL Also very curious what the ol stalwart has up his sleeve for his "drag racing build" Im just hoping its non hub so he has a shot at keeping you two 'on your toes' and upgrading hehe

Look forward to see the new project anywayz mate, best of luck :)

KiM

Apprentice Gangsta 8)

I haven't seen the pictures of your bike with motors bolted to it yet.

Maybe you could quit laying tile and decorating and dancing in tutu's, and get a motor bolted to something. :p :twisted:

liveforphysics said:
I haven't seen the pictures of your bike with motors bolted to it yet.

Maybe you could quit laying tile and decorating and dancing in tutu's, and get a motor bolted to something. :p :twisted:

ROFLMAO what a nice mate you are Luke hehehe you will be eatin them words when Patrick buzzes by you on the back wheel as he flips you the finger hehehe :p... "dancing in tutus" <--im stealing that for future posts freakin classic...Way to rev him up though 10/10

KiM

Apprentice Gangsta 8)

Funny you should mention that.
5 years back I was spending a lot of time with the interns at work.
We always had practical jokes going...
At one point they ran fishing line all the way across the office from the front door to an obscene object behind my computer monitor. The first 3 time the door openend I was like WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unbeknown to me for months they had also been putting ridiculous ads in the company newspaper in my name!
The only one I ever got a call on was the time they put my car up for sale.
I wrote it off as some kind of misunderstanding or wrong number.

So one day I get a call from the newspaper lady and she is asking for my personal phone number
I asked her why and she told me that I only supplied my work number.....
hrrrruh?
I told here that I did not know what she was talking about and she read my ad to me:

Something to the effect of:

"One pink tutu with matching leotard, size 10. Call Patrick ....."

WTF?!??!

This newspaper goes out to all 2,000 people at my site and another 8,000 at another site
Even though there are that many people, it is a small enough place that people definitely know me.

I still have the pink slip of paper (that I retrieved from the newspaper lady) that was my prospective ad request.

-methods

HAHAHA...DAMN mate sounds like you need to get some payback happening PRONTO!!!

I'm thinking you wouldnt have to look alot further than your good buddy Luke for the culprit behind these ads hrmz? hehehe...do you fellas actually get any work done while at work? LoL

KiM

LOL. :D That's pretty good.

We has a fancy-dancy MS corporate meeting that my boss made me present a bunch of cooling design crap at. He gave me a whooping 4hrs of notice to prepare. I franticly threw together a powerpoint, grabbed my laptop and headed out to the meeting. Turns out, it was only 10mins away, so I had some time to kill. A walgreens was right next door to the place. I went in to get some munchies, and I got this amazing idea. I bought a 3-pack of plastic disposable douches. It was very difficult to keep a straight face waiting in line, and buying them. I unwrapped two and stuck them in my inside coat pocket. They are bulky and about a pound each. He was wearing a pretty faggy suit, and he left his coat on the chair when he got up before the meeting started. I put one douche in his inside breast pocket, and one in his outside pocket. Both with the nozzle's pulled away from the squeeze bottle part, so it was very obvious what they were, and they looked all ready to go.

So, we get in the meeting, and he is sitting there with his jacket on trying to look serious. I hadn't shaved for a week, was wearing dirty sneakers, worn out jeans, and a super fancy-pants work shirt that didn't match the rest of me at all. I kinda looked like a homeless guy that somebody gave a fancy shirt to wear. Normally I just look like a regular homeless guy. Anyways, he gets up and BS's for a minute, then introduces me to do the technical part of the presentation, and he pats his pocket... Feels something... Looks puzzled... Reaches in, grabs it, pulls it out, holds it in front of him and looks puzzled. Then realizes what he is holding at about the same time as everyone else at the meeting, and the room erupts at the same time he panics and franticaly tries to hide it behind his back. I yell, "hey, let's keep your personal life out of the workplace!" He looks at me with super death-laser eyes, and I tried to stop laughing, but I couldn't, and neither could anyone else.

Then I got up and gave my presentation, and everyone was in a great happy mood (except for my boss). Presentation went well.
That was a friday, and after I had left that friday, he put a roadkill possum into my desk drawer, right on top of my stuff, then stuffed paper towels under the crack of the door. On monday when I opened the door to my office, it smelled so bad, it made my eyes water and my stomache knot-up. When I opened the drawer and saw it, I threw up in my mouth. That desk never smelled right again, so I swapped it with the new guys desk.

Good times.

In cases of exceptional behavior, his wife may let him wear pants once in a while, but only in public. Otherwise, he just sticks with the #10 tutu and leotard for his normal casual attire.

You're in luck Gary, I have a few photos of Methy for you, but I'm not sure I want to know what it is you use the pictures for...

leotardmethy.jpg

methypinktutu.jpg

I'm not too worried Kim. My next build will be 50KW, and under 70lbs. He will puss out way before reaching that level. :D

Good Loooord... :-| I might have to take FrankG's advice and forgo the dual RC motors on my next tilting trike build and go for an Agni or Etek ....if i stick with the original plans i'll definitely be lookin' too whimpy next to you guyz hahaha

KiM

Apprentice Gangsta 8)

I'm going to give making my own motor a whirl, and making it sensored with a custom vector drive. If it sucks, I'm going to have the Jim (he does Kila-cycles motors) make me one of his little 6.5" diameter 50+Kw induction motors. They are small and compact. I love the induction motor idea, because with LiPo, power and WH's are in huge supply, and an induction motor lets you have killer topend speeds as well as low range torque. You just have to deal with worse economy than a perm motor.

You been snooping around my myspace pages Luke?
I forgot about my alter-ego page...
I should go over there and check up on things.

-methods

Check out Cyclone's New Double motor kit. Claimed 75mph/120kph top speed. Likely an overstatement but very fast nonetheless. Looks to me about 50mph (80kph) in the video assuming the rider is full throttle on the flats.

They are really starting to push the performance envelope now!

2x1000W-kit.jpg

The video shows some nice traffic weaving, overtaking cars and ICE mopeds. Definately the quickest way to get around central Taipei. Note the loud chain noise which is due to the 7t motor sprockets is very apparent throughout the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6o-g7YeC4Q

US$768 for the double motor kit without batteries.
http://www.cyclone-tw.com/

If only my setup had room for a second motor :cry:

Don't post stuff like this....I'm getting tempted :)

I love the noise free Crystalyte....but wish I could efficiently use the gear in the back and save a lot of weight on the rear wheel to be able to really use that 8.3'' DH travel :roll:

Probably the 2010 built will use that....

I will probably wait and see if you still like your next year :)

Robin

Back