TSDZ2 Opinions Please

Discussions related to motors other than hub motors.
This includes R/C motors, botttom bracket, roller and geared drives.
Daytriker
1 W
1 W

TSDZ2 Opinions Please

Post by Daytriker » Jan 10, 2018 9:26 am

I am having trouble getting my head around this motor. I see some people using this on mountain bikes, riding on what I would consider tougher conditions where the motor & gears should be working harder than our typical operating conditions & yet I have sold 3 of these kits & one came back with a blown blue gear in less than 50 miles & another one has come back in less than 6 months. What perplexes me the most is the unit that has come back is ridden by a lady in her 60's & all of 150 lbs. & she swears that she uses the gears properly & isn't over stressing the motor. So I am wondering -

Recumbent Trike - all 20 inch drive wheels/total weight estimated 200 lbs./moderate riding conditions/36 volt-350 watt/stock

Will the Blue Gear get stressed by torque applied by either the Motor or Cranking Power? - Or a combination of both?
Would changing the Chain ring to a larger/smaller size help reduce the failures?
Will a larger ring take more of the strain off the motor (Blue Gear) by forcing the rider to pedal harder?
Will a smaller chain ring take more of the strain off the motor by making it easier for the rider to pedal?
Will changing to the Brass Gear solve the Blue Gear failure problem without risking the total motor failure under moderate riding conditions? Your opinions please & thank you.

Waynemarlow
100 W
100 W

Re: TSDZ2 Opinions Please

Post by Waynemarlow » Jan 10, 2018 2:12 pm

As stated else where, the TDSZ2 torque control is really very good but can allow lazy riding ie it will put in max power ( or what ever you have it set to ) at 0 revs ( as soon as you put power onto the peddles ). In watching all the riders who have ridden mine, almost to a man they forget to change into higher gears when they stop which means its all to easy with the motors aid to pull off from a dead stop in the wrong gear.

The manufacturers would be doing themselves a real favour to monitor the crank rotation and at 0 rotation or just above it, reduce the power output to prevent overloading the blue gear from initial startup within the wrong gear. put say a max 10% of power in until the both the crank and speed sensor shows the bike is moving and then ramp up the power input.

Triketech
1 kW
1 kW

Post by Triketech » Jan 10, 2018 2:43 pm

Tongsheng seems to have variances in production. That may include the bore centers for gear shafts. That can cause some motors to eat gears.

Daytriker
1 W
1 W

Post by Daytriker » Jan 12, 2018 8:23 am

I am thinking the problem is Rider Error more than quality variances as the problem seems to always be with the Blue Gear & no indication of anything else being faulty. Anyone else have opinions on changing the Chain Rings to make the life of the Blue Gear a little more durable? Thanks for your replies.