Mongoose CX24V450 with 2500 watt L-R Small Block

Discussions related to motors other than hub motors.
This includes R/C motors, botttom bracket, roller and geared drives.
Raisedeyebrows   1 kW

1 kW

Re: Mongoose CX24V450 with 2500 watt L-R Small Block

Post by Raisedeyebrows » Aug 26 2018 4:19pm

EbikeAus wrote:
Aug 26 2018 5:51am
Raisedeyebrows wrote:
Aug 25 2018 11:10pm
No I have not done any mods to the bike lately, just riding it a lot and also pedaling a Mountain Bike on various trails a ton as well this summer.

Looks like putting a longer shock on is totally doable and should get you a bit more seat height, appears one would not cause any clearance problems either, I am going to see what I can find in the way of shocks that will work. The 219 drive chain is holding up well and the chain on the pedaling side doesn't get stressed much so it's good too. I think you'll be amazed at how the small block motor fits in there like a glove with plenty of room for adjusting the chain tension as well. With the 20" wheel in the back it really climbs hills like crazy.

I was careful to check the tension on the chains daily when breaking it in just to make sure either side didn't snug too much and booger up any bearings. I only did one chain adjustment and it's held fine, Mike thought the tension was looking good. Once you have the motor and bracket you should be able to bolt it together pretty quickly so looking forward to seeing another with a similar setup. What are you doing for battery?
Sounds like it's working well for you. That's good! I'm looking forward to getting mine going better :D
We're coming into some better weather here, so should be able to give it a good run.

I was thinking a 165mm or 190mm shock with 50mm travel could work well but will most likely swap to a 24" front wheel first, as you did, then see where it sits.

I'm in the middle of building a 14s 5p Samsung 25R battery with bluetooth bms.
I have access to large quantities of near new power cells for dirt cheap, so cant really justify buying a pre- made battery.

I'll mention the Magura Hydraulic Rim Brake I installed on the rear is working extremely well, it was money well spent and has a lot of braking power and a nice feel to it. I can see why downhillers used them before disks brakes were common. The pads that came with the Brake are so good I will just order another set when they wear out, I've been putting them through hell doing hard stops on steep hills and they really grab and haven't worn much at all.
Yuba Mundo w/BBSHD
Specialized Hard Rock w/9c clone, statoraid, hubsink
Trek Fuel 90 w/BBSHD
Above all run on 14s4p 52v li-ion
Ecobike folder 36v
Currie Flyer scooter 24v on 24ah of SLA

Every trip made with electric bike is one less car trip, saves money, no toxic fumes, less noise, less impact on roads.

EbikeAus   100 W

100 W

Post by EbikeAus » Aug 29 2018 6:09am

Raisedeyebrows wrote:
Aug 26 2018 4:19pm
EbikeAus wrote:
Aug 26 2018 5:51am
Raisedeyebrows wrote:
Aug 25 2018 11:10pm
No I have not done any mods to the bike lately, just riding it a lot and also pedaling a Mountain Bike on various trails a ton as well this summer.

Looks like putting a longer shock on is totally doable and should get you a bit more seat height, appears one would not cause any clearance problems either, I am going to see what I can find in the way of shocks that will work. The 219 drive chain is holding up well and the chain on the pedaling side doesn't get stressed much so it's good too. I think you'll be amazed at how the small block motor fits in there like a glove with plenty of room for adjusting the chain tension as well. With the 20" wheel in the back it really climbs hills like crazy.

I was careful to check the tension on the chains daily when breaking it in just to make sure either side didn't snug too much and booger up any bearings. I only did one chain adjustment and it's held fine, Mike thought the tension was looking good. Once you have the motor and bracket you should be able to bolt it together pretty quickly so looking forward to seeing another with a similar setup. What are you doing for battery?
Sounds like it's working well for you. That's good! I'm looking forward to getting mine going better :D
We're coming into some better weather here, so should be able to give it a good run.

I was thinking a 165mm or 190mm shock with 50mm travel could work well but will most likely swap to a 24" front wheel first, as you did, then see where it sits.

I'm in the middle of building a 14s 5p Samsung 25R battery with bluetooth bms.
I have access to large quantities of near new power cells for dirt cheap, so cant really justify buying a pre- made battery.

I'll mention the Magura Hydraulic Rim Brake I installed on the rear is working extremely well, it was money well spent and has a lot of braking power and a nice feel to it. I can see why downhillers used them before disks brakes were common. The pads that came with the Brake are so good I will just order another set when they wear out, I've been putting them through hell doing hard stops on steep hills and they really grab and haven't worn much at all.
Thanks for that heads up with the magura brakes, they sound really good. Think i'll be needing a bit more stopping power with the small bock! :D
Choose LiFe 8)

May all your batteries be fully charged and perfectly balanced :P

joshuahuang   1 mW

1 mW

Post by joshuahuang » Feb 04 2019 12:52pm

what kind of bottom bracket is on the bike? I want to put a cyclone motor on it but not sure if I can put a cassette on the rear or not

EbikeAus   100 W

100 W

Post by EbikeAus » Sep 26 2019 8:56pm

Bumping this as I’m about to start working on mine again
Choose LiFe 8)

May all your batteries be fully charged and perfectly balanced :P

LightningRods   10 MW

10 MW

Post by LightningRods » Sep 26 2019 9:20pm

joshuahuang wrote:
Feb 04 2019 12:52pm
what kind of bottom bracket is on the bike? I want to put a cyclone motor on it but not sure if I can put a cassette on the rear or not
The bottom bracket is the stock one that came with the bike as far as I know. No I don’t think a cassette will fit.
"I don’t mind that they stole my idea, I mind that they don’t have any of their own.”
-Nikola Tesla

Lightning Rods Web Site http://www.lightningrodev.com
Lightning Rods Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Lightnin ... 4531978401

Mike@MedicareSavings.US   1 µW

1 µW

Post by Mike@MedicareSavings.US » Oct 05 2019 9:14pm

First of all, outstanding project/work :flame: Mike & Kelly :bigthumb: ,

I( in Charleston, SC) didn't know anything about this "goose" project. I biked to James Island Goodwill(10/5/19) looking for size 11 tennis shoes.
Saw the CX24V450 with the sticker(paper slip/price) already gone. Went to front desk & management to inquire. No show from sticker bandit. $30 and a ride from neighbor is all she wrote.
Got on Googges. Bookmarked this post & then watched way to much YT, Subscribed to ERT & Messaged Lightning Rods on FB too. I have never owned or worked on a dirt bike or e-bike. However I have a 9 yr old daughter & soon to be 12 yr old son that love to ride and adventure on bikes with me on JI. I would love for them to go the full distances with me on something like this. If you gentlemen wouldn't mine, I would be quite honored to borrow your knowledge/template for my kiddos to ride a "goose" on the east coast. Please let me know the best way to reach out. I can easily be found online as well. God Bless fellas.

LightningRods   10 MW

10 MW

Post by LightningRods » Oct 05 2019 10:06pm

Hi Mike,
I received your PM on Facebook. I’m finishing up two full bike builds right now and so I’m in the shop rather than on the computer.
I’ll be happy to share whatever info I can on this project. This is actually a lot of bike for a child. It can be detuned of course, but Kelly has been tearing around at speeds that I wouldn’t want MY youngster traveling.
Loop back to my LightningRods Facebook page and let me know how I can help you.
Cheers,
Mike (Lightning Rods)
"I don’t mind that they stole my idea, I mind that they don’t have any of their own.”
-Nikola Tesla

Lightning Rods Web Site http://www.lightningrodev.com
Lightning Rods Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Lightnin ... 4531978401