BBSHD Firmware Upgrade

Discussions related to motors other than hub motors.
This includes R/C motors, botttom bracket, roller and geared drives.
automan25   100 mW

100 mW

BBSHD Firmware Upgrade

Post by automan25 » Feb 13 2018 11:03pm

Does anyone know how to upgrade the firmware on the BBSHD controller and where to get the latest firmware? According to Luna the controllers currently being shipped from Bafang no longer have the issue with the non-progressive throttle while peddling. Luna has been gracious enough to offer to upgrade the firmware for me if I send them my controller. That's totally worth it of course, but I'd rather not go through the hassle of removing it and all the wiring from my bike if I can do the upgrade with my computer here at home.

Rassy   1 MW

1 MW

Re: BBSHD Firmware Upgrade

Post by Rassy » Feb 14 2018 12:26am

Sorry, I can't help you with your request. But I've been pursuing the pedal/throttle issue on the 2017 BBS02 controllers for the last four months, including many exchanges with both LUNA and EM3EV. Could you tell here who gave you the information that the new controllers "operate properly" and/or the actual statement that was made?

Thanks,
-Rassy-
One Tadpole Trike equipped with a Bafang BBS02
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewt ... 28&t=69419
One Delta Trike equipped with a Bafang BBS02
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewt ... 0#p1291260

tomjasz   1.21 GW

1.21 GW

Post by tomjasz » Feb 14 2018 12:38am

automan25 wrote:
Feb 13 2018 11:03pm
Does anyone know how to upgrade the firmware on the BBSHD controller and where to get the latest firmware? According to Luna the controllers currently being shipped from Bafang no longer have the issue with the non-progressive throttle while peddling. Luna has been gracious enough to offer to upgrade the firmware for me if I send them my controller. That's totally worth it of course, but I'd rather not go through the hassle of removing it and all the wiring from my bike if I can do the upgrade with my computer here at home.
No one so far has shared.
Thanks Justin_le we're here thanks to you. All the best to the mods for their tireless work keeping it on an even keel.

markkenton   1 µW

1 µW

Post by markkenton » May 11 2018 3:33am

Hi Chaps,
I had this issue on two bikes and posted a YouTube video about this for the factory.
Sorry to say its not a firmware issue, but reading between the lines its a controller fault, though you will not get the factory to admit it.

Luna cycles in the USA says somewhere in their latest BBSHD product description that the BBSHDs they are selling do not suffer from the throttle /pedaling cut out fault, so Luna's buying power got the Bafang factory to fix it.

I tried getting a fix from the seller in China and they gave me all sorts of BS, even saying it was to protect the motor, which as you can imagine is exactly the opposite.
I can say, unless the Banfag factory are stupid, the Firmware of the good and bad controllers is identical, I have checked both and also copied working parameters to the faulty controller to see if that fixes it, it does not.

The way I sorted it was to permanently disable the PAS function by removing the magnets from internal crank sensor pick-up, a sledge hammer fix, but I absolutely must have a throttle as it fundamental to how I ride.

The only real fix I know of is to change the controller for a good / known working one and that's the challenge - how do you know other than to test it, because you cannot tell by checking the firmware revision, as it was the same on all my units - that is both settings & Firmware revision is the same.

dustNbone   10 kW

10 kW

Post by dustNbone » May 11 2018 10:31am

A much simpler way to disable the PAS is to snip the grey (PAS sensor signal) wire going into the controller.

AZeBikeGuy   100 mW

100 mW

Post by AZeBikeGuy » May 11 2018 11:51am

An even easier way to get the same result as disconnecting the cadence sensor:

PAS 0 - I=100%, S= 0%
PAS 1 - I= 50%, S= 72%
PAS 2 - I= 71%, S= 72%
PAS 3 - I=100%, S=100%

PAS designated assist level = 0
Throttle designated assist level = By Display's Command