Bafang Max Drive - configuring

e-bikeNZ

10 µW
Background
Doesn’t seem to be a lot of info out there yet on configuring the Bafang Max Drive even though e-bikes with this mid drive are becoming more popular, so thought I’d document my experience with it as a starter for others interested in configuring it.

My e-bike
My requirement was a lightweight city e-bike I could ride without assistance on the flat, that could jump kerbs & cross parks, but which also had pedal assist to get up hills (I have to climb a hill that goes from zero to 430 metres above sea level to get home). I ended up buying a Bottecchia Krypton 29er which has the Bafang Max Drive (250W with 36V 13.6Ah / 489.6Wh battery) and one of the attractions was that you can configure the software for this motor.
Bottecchia_04.jpg
Settings via display unit
The first thing I did was correct the wheel size & up the speed limit in the Display unit. Mine has a Bafang DP C07.UART display so you have to press the “i” button twice, scroll down to the Password option, enter 0512 then set your protected parameters (e.g. wheel size 29, speed limit 60 kph).
DP_C07.232_B-1.png
The DP C07 is similar to the DP C10 but without the usb port on the side and here is a link for a Youtube video that shows how to navigate it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YEDKbNS1oQ

Configuration Software
The Max drive configuration software is the same as that used by the Bafang Ultra Drive (i.e. 1000W motor that also has a torque sensor) so has the Torque tab. The other tabs & settings are as per those used by the BBS01, BBS02, BBSHD. All the information therefore is out there already, it’s just a matter of finding the good oil.
The following is the key link by Karl Gesslein where you can read about the torque settings and download the configuration software. It also has links to other relevant programming pages.
Bafang Ultra Max https://electricbike-blog.com/2017/...g-the-bafang-ultra-max-mid-drive-ebike-drive/
The experiences of robocam with his Frey AM1000 are also a recommended read,
especially his youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWCR3iV3d9I

USB Cable
You will need to buy the standard USB cable to plug in your laptop to the bike. I bought mine from bike-union on ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/331764807313?ViewItem=&item=331764807313 and have had no problems. You can also get them from Lunar https://lunacycle.com/parts/bafang-parts/bbshd-parts/bafang-bbs02-and-bbshd-programming-cable/

My Configuration settings
My configuration settings are different to Karls as mine is just a baby 250W Max drive rather than a 1000W Ultra Max drive like his. As always you configure/modify at your own risk.
Basic-Tab.png
Pedal_Assist_Tab.png
Throttle_Tab.png
Torque_Tab.png

e-bikeNZ said:
The Max drive configuration software is the same as that used by the Bafang Ultra Drive (i.e. 1000W motor that also has a torque sensor) so has the Torque tab. The other tabs & settings are as per those used by the BBS01, BBS02, BBSHD. All the information therefore is out there already, it’s just a matter of finding the good oil.

Where did you find the configuration software? My understanding is the BBS02/BBSHD software won't work with the Ultra Drive.

See link to the Bafang Ultra Max in the original post

Just out of interest e-bikenz, what settings did you change (if any) via the configuration software?
And if you did what difference did you notice in the ride?

Cheers

Hi idave, Main Changes as follows:

In Basic settings on my bike the Limit Speed was already 100% on every Assist level, so I just spread the assist levels for a gradual increase of assist on most settings, with a jump at the top end for Hills.
In the Pedal Assist setting, Current Decay at 8 and Keep Current at 80%, so it didn't fade if I slowed going up hills.
Left Work Mode at 10, as performance seemed to drop off slightly up hills whenever I raised it.
In the Torque Settings, reduced the Start & Full KG so it was less effort pedaling up hills & likewise raised max current to 100% on all settings except Speed0. Lowered the delta voltages also across the board, as this appeared to again make it easier pedalling up the Hills.

As you can probably guess, I don't really use power assistance on the flat except when I am in a hurry and then on Full Assistance can easily do 30-50 kph. My focus has been really on making it easy to get back up a very long steep hill on the way back to my house and it's certainly achieved that.

mine is just a baby 250W Max drive

I ~think~ the Max will consume more than 250W on input..
For example, I rode a Bafang Max powered bike, and the displayed power showed peaks of like 700+ watts.

Does anyone know for sure? (I'm sort of a noob here.)

Thanks e-bikeNZ
Nice to know what others have done successfully. Over the next few day I will be trying a few setting changes.
Have some big hills around here too.

Hi e-bikeNZ
A question about the Max Drive software - I have downloaded it etc but it does not recognise any com ports (just blank).
The original BBS02 software recognises the com ports as does some upgrade software I did for the MAXdrive (from the maker).
Did it work first off for you? What OS did you use. I am running Win10. Tried 2 different computers and zip com ports.

Any tips?

Cheers

iDave

This wound up in the BBSHD thread, but really belongs here...

This is a picture of the controller board in a recent Ultra Drive. Circled in red is the shunt resistor. Stock value appears to be 5 milliohms.
By decreasing the shunt resistance, the maximum current will increase.

Ultra Motor Controller - Shunt Location.jpg

apparently bafang changed the shunt to a double one V1.5 power pcba. Mods will be much easier.

here is mine, at least produced on or after march. 2018 (some sticker with date code in it):

Mosfets are different too (P/N: EK06808 1747 KY, unknown to all major brokers)

The 1.5 also has en embedded hall sensor that reads a magnet attached to the rotor tip.

Interestingly enough, the small pcba with the hall sensors sitting in above windings is still there but left unconnected. Bafang must have had some old stock to flush once the new sensored board was put in production.

Oh, and the cable screw-posts are labeled ALIEN# :lol:

That's an interesting setup with the hall sensor. Seems like it might be prone to timing errors if the board position is off a tiny bit.

I like the Alien connections. Maybe something was lost in the translation or they are using some highly advanced technology from another planet.

Hello everybody. I want to choose a light new bafang M600 G521 motor for myself. but I can not find the information on the possibility of programming power levels as on bafang ultra M510. can anyone have experience with this motor and software? I understand that the model only entered the market and there is still very little information.

all that I was able to find out in Chinese supplier this is that they do not know whether there is an opportunity to program power levels like models bbsxx. And there was a new connector to connect the display. but he still has 5 pin.

Attachments

• IMG_20180703_113719.jpg
    IMG_20180703_113719.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 37,357
Hi All,

Any clue on how to configure DP C07 display/MM G330.250 motor without usb? C07 does not have usb port nor my menu does not have psd view -> cannot edit LUd or SPl option digits from default.

Thanks in advance!

idave said:
Hi e-bikeNZ
A question about the Max Drive software - I have downloaded it etc but it does not recognise any com ports (just blank).
The original BBS02 software recognises the com ports as does some upgrade software I did for the MAXdrive (from the maker).
Did it work first off for you? What OS did you use. I am running Win10. Tried 2 different computers and zip com ports.

Any tips?

Cheers

iDave

I see in your next post you found the answer, what was it? I am having the same issue as I can open a program for the BBSHD (the one with the Befang logo) and get to work with the USB cable. But am not able to get the Ultra software (Ver2.0) to recognize the USB cable. I know what com # to use (#4 because it works wit the Befang software). I want to fine tune the torque settings and that tab isn't on the BBSHD program. Anyone else have the same issue? What's the secret...Thanks in advance

I don't know what idave uses, but I use a laptop running windows 10 and the COM ports appear when I plug in the bike with the usb cable.

Do you see a line in your Device Manager labelled "Ports (COM & LPT)" ? In some peoples windows 10 you need to view the hidden Ports first to see it as follows.
(1) start Device Manager
(2) click on machine name line.
(3) Click on "View" drop down menu
(4) Click on "Show Hidden Devices"

On other systems you might need to take the "Action" drop down menu as some people indicate:
(1) Select menu "Action" -> "Add legacy hardware", then Click "Next"
(2) Select "Install the hardware that I manually select from a list (Advanced)" -> then click "Next"
(3) Scroll down, then select "Ports (COM & LPT)", then click "Next"
(4) Select "Manufacturer" as your need, (in this case, I'm selecting standard type or default option) then click "Next"

For some the following apparently works:
(1) open device manager
(2) click on action
(3) add legacy hardware
(4) click on next
(5) search for and install the hardware automatically(Recommended)
(6) next
it will detect that com port and next
(7) double click com port
(8) next
(9) next and finish

Thanks for posting your settings, I have recently got my ultra up and running it turns out the stock settings on these units are absolute dog turd.

Tested your settings and they're better than I previously had but still need a lot of tweaking.

Does anyone know if you can use the pas sensor instead of the torque sensor, my BBSHD settings were spot on and would be ideal until i could figure this programming out?

idave said:
Hi e-bikeNZ

Any tips?

Cheers

iDave
You have to start the software as admin....

e-bikeNZ said:
Hi idave, Main Changes as follows:

In Basic settings on my bike the Limit Speed was already 100% on every Assist level, so I just spread the assist levels for a gradual increase of assist on most settings, with a jump at the top end for Hills.
In the Pedal Assist setting, Current Decay at 8 and Keep Current at 80%, so it didn't fade if I slowed going up hills.
Left Work Mode at 10, as performance seemed to drop off slightly up hills whenever I raised it.
In the Torque Settings, reduced the Start & Full KG so it was less effort pedaling up hills & likewise raised max current to 100% on all settings except Speed0. Lowered the delta voltages also across the board, as this appeared to again make it easier pedalling up the Hills.

As you can probably guess, I don't really use power assistance on the flat except when I am in a hurry and then on Full Assistance can easily do 30-50 kph. My focus has been really on making it easy to get back up a very long steep hill on the way back to my house and it's certainly achieved that.

Great work ebikeNZ. This is a popular mid drive and your post is the most comprehensive I have found on instructions for configuring.

I currently have a converted bike with a Bafang BBS01, but am looking for a friend at a similar fitout to yours (XDS ecruz) but with a 11.5Ah battery.

My friend wants to use it for a flat 8km commute, as well as some hills riding in the Adelaide Hills. Nothing like your 430m rise though.....

A few questions:

a) how has it gone after a year of use?
b) any problems with motor wear running at the increased speeds?
c) If I just changed the max speed settings at the console and nothing in the advanced config, would you expect any problems?

Great work again. How can you help me with these questions?

Had no problems and wouldn't expect you will either, especially if you are just changing the display console settings.

Back