BBSHD ensuring controller longevity with PAS

sleepless

1 mW
Hi all,

after my first Controller fried after just two month with stock settings I am a bit scared now and wanted to ask for advice. From my understanding I need to make sure the motor is spinning preferably fast. This isn't an issue when using the throttle but when I want to pedal I need a resistance of course. To achieve that the motor must spin slower because I'm not able to pedal as fast as the motor can spin. So how can I ensure longevity while pedaling? Should I just pedal with max. PAS level 5-6 from 9 available levels? Or should I really install a temperature sensor to be sure everything is fine?

Would be glad if someone could help me here. I'm really scared to pedal right now and am using just the throttle while ensuring a fast spinning chainring. That really shouldn't be the way to go.

If you're looking for ultimate control, disable the PAS and just use the throttle. You can pedal with as much or as little effort as you want, provide as much motor assist as you want.

Others have different opinions but I couldn't get used to the PAS on my BBS02. I like being able to get things rolling under pedal power, and once it's spinning hit the throttle and let the motor take over. If I really want to get off the line quick I put pressure on the pedal and simultaneously mash the throttle.

When I'm climbing a hill, I slack off the throttle and pedal as hard as I feel like. It feels much more natural than fiddling with PAS levels while I'm busy riding in traffic. It's nice to be able to pedal gently through a set of baffles without the threat of being suddenly "assisted". Shifting smoothly is second nature, no shift sensors or brake tapping or any of that, just back off the throttle and shift the same way I did before I had a motor. Shift complete, back on the throttle. Even shifting without the pedals, throttle only is pretty slick with some practice.

There are programming options for the PAS levels, fairly detailed settings for how fast the power ramps up and down when you start/stop pedaling, max crank speed/power for each level, and a bunch more settings. I fiddled with them for a while, but never was happy with the way it worked.

So I snipped the grey pedal sensor wire on the controller and never looked back.

The BBSxx has a single plug that connects the sensors in the motor to the controller, one of which is the grey PAS sensor wire. The rest of the sensors are still needed so I just clipped that one wire. You might be able to effectively disable it in the programming software somehow as well, but that seemed easier.

dustNbone said:
You might be able to effectively disable it in the programming software somehow as well, but that seemed easier.

I tried this but it seems to not be possible. I currently have PAS disabled via software but when I use the throttle and start pedaling the motor stops :roll: seems like PAS sensor has a higher priority. Will maybe also clip the grey wire.

But you aren't pedaling with full throttle, are you?

sleepless said:
dustNbone said:
You might be able to effectively disable it in the programming software somehow as well, but that seemed easier.

I tried this but it seems to not be possible. I currently have PAS disabled via software but when I use the throttle and start pedaling the motor stops :roll: seems like PAS sensor has a higher priority. Will maybe also clip the grey wire.

Some things seem to get overcomplicated for no reason,

When I don’t want pas I put it in level 0 and use throttle,

to sleepless and others posting on this thread, my experiences are with the BBS02 but there appears to be similar problems with the BBSHD. The BBS02 controllers manufactured before 2017 allowed for the full throttle range while pedaling. This was true for throttle only use (PAS 0) or any of the other PAS levels. For some reason Bafang changed how the controller works and there doesn't seem to be any way to correct it using a programming cable and the currently available Penoff or Bafang software.

Here's another thread discussing the issue:

http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=89554&sid=1653a69788eaf65c880f2cdb5db12f42

sleepless said:

Indeed I often pedal and use full throttle at the same time. Anytime I need to aggressively accelerate from a stop.

Antenor said:
Is not it enough to unplug the pas cable so he can stop working?

Worked for me today. I didn't cut any wires. Unmolested, and can revert to original just by plugging the connector back together. Very easy and worthwhile, best thing I ever did for my BBSHD. It was a black connector harnessing a few wires, so I don't know what all I disconnected, but I have zero PAS and full on throttle all the time, so I'm more than pleased. 8)

Back