Ebike controller for RC motors ?

qwerkus

10 kW
Hello,

Is it possible to run RC motors with ebike controllers ? What are the pro / cons ? I'm thinking of coupling a homemade RC mid-drive with a nice torque sensor. I don't see how this could be done with a castle or VESC Rc controller.

Thank you for your time,

qwerkus

Addy said:
Why can't you do it with a VESC controller? The throttle input is quite customizable, you can tune the voltage range to match whatever your torque sensor puts out, unless your torque signal is really exotic.

Cool! Sounds worth a try. Do you happen to have a link to someone who did it ? Also, regeneration could be interesting. Also doable with a VESC ?

qwerkus said:
Addy said:
Why can't you do it with a VESC controller? The throttle input is quite customizable, you can tune the voltage range to match whatever your torque sensor puts out, unless your torque signal is really exotic.

Cool! Sounds worth a try. Do you happen to have a link to someone who did it ? Also, regeneration could be interesting. Also doable with a VESC ?

Take a look at this thread: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=93831&p=1379069&p1378226#p1378226

Yes, variable regen is possible as long as your motor supports it. I'm running a VESC 4.12 board on my vector ebike with a direct drive hub motor. It works surprisingly well. I have an analog brake lever that I made which allows the VESC to do variable regen braking. I need to post a build thread one of these days...

Addy said:
I have an analog brake lever that I made which allows the VESC to do variable regen braking. I need to post a build thread one of these days...

Definitely - would love to see that one. Posting the VESC config would also help alot.

Hi Addy,
Yes, please do a build thread if you have time.. I would be interested to see the details of the controller and its setup, and how the variable regen was implemented.

Back