Friction drive ebike system. Platform: Dirt type bicycle, knobby tires. Max Avg watts ~300W

Okami

10 W
Hi, everyone!

Been a lurker here for a while but finally decided I might post my results and findings concerning friction drive for ebike.

Short summary:

Motor: chinese made 63mm size motor, speed: around 200kv

Controller: Helicopter / Plane 60A Yep esc

Battery: Multistar 6s 12ah (soon might go to 10ah, due to enclosure size

---

Mounting: on top of rear tyre, clamp attachment stemming from seat tube (28mm).

https://zip.failiem.lv/thumb_show.php?i=gekxh8ha&view/img]

[img]https://zip.failiem.lv/thumb_show.php?i=f7fxmz77&view

Motor pressure is constant against the tire using a large spring.

Wattage / Speed: So far peak values have been from 600 - 800 W, I assume 300-400W continous power.

I can get up to 35kph (21mph) using motor power only. With pedaling abou 43kph (27mph).

Power consumtion: Seems to be about 8 - 9 Wh/km, so quite low consumtion even with lotsbof throttle and speeding.

Tire choice / motor surface:
Smooh profile tires would have been the best though I have got knobby tires on it.

At first I thought it wouldnt work very well because of that but in the end im quite sattisfied with the results.

I tried to apply some vinyl (fabric) tape on motor but it didnt hold well and it just rolled up chunks in a few places and caused more vibration.

I was planning on gluing abrasive tape but the one I found locally was not very gritty / course enough, so I never tried it.

Though I came up with conclusion that skateboard grip tape should work nicely, I just have to come up with where to get a little piece of it.

Final conclusions:

I like that the bicycle is still light enough to be easy lifted. What I also like is that the wide tires and front suspesion gives a rather comfortable ride not sure how comfortable it would be with narrow tires.

On topic about power, I would have liked at least 500-600w of constant power.

My only approach now would be to either apply more grip to the motor or change tire profile.

There is some tire wear already but I believe this is because I have others let to ride it and they havent been always gentle with throttle and have let the motor slip..

Will update with a few more details / conclusions in future..

thumb_show.php

Updated post with some pictures, in case they didnt load before.

Back