72V Cyclone 3000W Fresh Install....but these brakes?

SwampDonkey

100 W
I just installed my Luna Cyclone kit, no problems. I really know nothing about bikes, however, and this one came with no rear disk. It doesnt seem to have a hub flange to mount the disk like the front. Do I need to replace the whole rear axle or can I simply buy and attach a flange with the proper bolt pattern?

3a2lEDd.jpg

BVltimW.jpg

UAHJcI9.jpg

uwZt5uq.jpg

OV3wMnw.jpg

The rear of your bike is set up for a rim brake, not a disc. That said someone (Spinning Magnets, I think) showed a clamp-on rear disc mount.

Ok. I bought this bike used. There's a disk brake caliper mounted on the rear, but nowhere to put a disk. Im sure it has a clamp brake brackets on the rear but the disk caliper and mount is definitely part of the stock bike. I need to know the best way to affix a disk to the rear. New axle? Mounting flange?

Edit: Here is a pic of a stock bike. Disks front and rear.

Ph3mEnV.jpg

You should replace your wheel... that one has the really weak 3 piece pressed steel hub instead of a one piece alloy one. Trying to add something on would be a bad idea. The pair spoke setup is known for going out of true a lot too...

Side note... your barrel adjuster is all the way screwed out on your front brake, which makes it really prone to getting bent or jacking up the threads at the end. Sooner or later you have to screw it back in and take up the slack at where the cable pinch bolt is.

Ah ok, good deal. I was already drawing up an adapter flange in CAM, but if the wheel itself isnt ideal then replacing it sounds like a better option. Thanks for the advice, much appreciated!

Which battery did you use? I was looking at the same kit with the 60V luna battery, since it can output more current. The 72V battery looks like it would need two in parallel to provide enough current.

And what mountain bike is that?

Thanks!

n2mb said:
Which battery did you use? I was looking at the same kit with the 60V luna battery, since it can output more current. The 72V battery looks like it would need two in parallel to provide enough current.

Thanks!

I got the 72V 10Ah battery from Luna. Recommend HIGHLY! Dont let the low Ah fool you, this battery barely feels the load from the Cyclone, It flies and gets incredible range for its size. I just got back from a 12 mile ride at 45mph+ and the voltage dropped from 82 to 76 volts, so loads of power and capacity in reserve. Im not sure about the total range, but the battery is very dense with 720W/hrs on tap (or more, since it tops at 84V). Be warned, however, the throttle is very sensitive at this voltage.

This setup has enough power to snap chains and destroy the driveline, you dont need to parallel them. Step up to the 60A controller for more power. This is on a K2 Crush full suspension, weighs 60lbs as is.

SwampDonkey said:
n2mb said:

Thanks!

I got the 72V 10Ah battery from Luna. Recommend HIGHLY! Dont let the low Ah fool you, this battery barely feels the load from the Cyclone, It flies and gets incredible range for its size. I just got back from a 12 mile ride at 45mph+ and the voltage dropped from 82 to 76 volts, so loads of power and capacity in reserve. Im not sure about the total range, but the battery is very dense with 720W/hrs on tap (or more, since it tops at 84V). Be warned, however, the throttle is very sensitive at this voltage.

This setup has enough power to snap chains and destroy the driveline, you dont need to parallel them. Step up to the 60A controller for more power. This is on a K2 Crush full suspension, weighs 60lbs as is.

One thing to watch out for is the current draw. The GA cells are rated for 10A continuous discharge, 20A peak for 5 seconds. That translates to 30A continuous / 60A peak for that pack. Luna put a 50A continuous / 70A peak BMS in that pack, so you'd have to keep an eye on the current you draw from the pack. Do you have a current meter? How much are you drawing most of the time vs accelerating?

Their 60V pack would allow 70A continuous / 140A peak based on the batteries, but limited to 50A continuous / 70A peak based on the BMS. But, not as fast!

Back