Cyclone 4000W "Build motor" Vs. C3000W Vs. Tangent Ascent?

SwampDonkey

100 W
Has anyone used the larger "standard" Cyclone available from sellers as stand-alone motor? Ive heard that its more efficient by about 8%, which is considerable. What does this mean in terms of performance? Will it take greater voltage or current?

How would these compare to the Tangent in terms of performance?

Side question: How is the stock Cyclone controller modified to accept greater current? Ive heard the shunt needs to be modified, but I need a description of the procedure.

Thanks!

Hi SD,
If you look on the Cyclone website, all of their motors except the "2000 - 4000W" motor have claimed efficiencies in the 85% to 89% range. The "2000 - 4000W" motor claims 97.6%, but is of similar type and configuration to all the others, so I think that is likely to be a typing error, and the actual efficiency is 87.6% not 97.6%.
I would love to be wrong.. a motor capable of 4kW with 97.6% efficiency wouldn't have many cooling problems!

It is possible that the ASI controller Luna is selling with the cyclone motor as a 4kW kit may push the efficiency slightly higher than the standard one if it is well set up, but I have no direct knowledge of that kit.

I have the coaxial bike, that means it has the 4kw motor integrated. The motor is the same general design as the 3kw but with a ~30% longer stator that equals ~30% more torque. So the motor is wider. The gearbox is the same and the efficiency shouldn't be too different. It does not run a lot cooler than the 3kw from what I've read, but people who have both say its quite a lot more powerful and fun.
As people are already running 60A on the 3kw cyclone I would say you should keep it at that and enjoy more torque and reliability from stressing the 4kw one less.

The 60A controller is the same as the 40A with some solder on the shunt. Google 'solder shunt' if you wanna know what that is. It is a home made procedure. One good thing is the new controllers now have 100v caps instead of the old 80v ones, that means you aren't stressing them too hard by running 72v nominal (84v peak).

Vs the Ascent the biggest difference is it has a 6:1 internal reduction and it only needs to spin 700rpm on the outside on 72v(4200rpm internal). The tangent has 20:1 but spins 12500 rpm internal and 625rpm on the outside on 52v.
Other difference is price, obviously. The 4kw should cost about 10%, so if you burn up or it does to water damage/condensation you pay $200 and you are good to go.
You would expect the ascent to have much better machining tolerances but honestly, the cyclone draws 250w full rpm without load and the ascent advertises 200w. This doesn't scale linear with load either.
The cyclone controller has a bluetooth app that has tons of useful features like rpm display(different than speed), limit current, cruise control, etc..

SO how bad is the noise with the Ascent? I have access to one at a good price, but it may not be more desirable than the Cyclone 4000W.

The sound is mostly for the rider being so close to the bike. From a couple of meters the sound is low. With fresh grease my mtb tires sound about the same.

Back