EXESS HP-E180 Bafang Ultra Max Enduro bike

TorEddy

100 W
Hi

Just found this high-end Bafang Ultra Max enduro bike, which by the pictures and specs, I just love!!
https://www.exess-bikes.de/index_en.htm

exess-header-hg.jpg

It's a lot of money, but i woulden't say it's expensive, as it looks top notch!
Did anybody here have a chance to try this beast yet?
The bike itself looks great, but I struggle to find if the Ultra Max is any good.. Did they come up with the perfect setting that makes it behave nicely?

Ok, so I just sold my current e-bike (viewtopic.php?f=28&t=73264&p=1106366#p1106366) to be able to buy this Exess-bikes HP-E180. It wasn't easy selling my loved e-bike who I have put so much time and effort into, but I realized that the BBSHD will always be a diy-ebike solution, and never have the reliability of a purpose built ebike.
NA-coaazbNealfhK5L21NlSUJSwTNc2kacvsL-iR3MQh4H1GB9ISbxKgt43NYOxkkO16Ok_tCxScinm0LFK-t-d8_qD8QqgSov2q8yFJlGfjVlTo4JiyZmGa0e96RxNK__MT9e4lKcIo_c4dE9EU6GAMLQzgF2znhHJ2TzdfkK7gehKuIPbnOwSx5jHOefvckKZgyVf3Z6xkatAS1ngv1XzAV00mZqAsWmcQdEPR3drJ4hcxEO_VcMZAam4N6VcaUm00B6X0kYYbuuvNBN6jXWILLWQeIK2GnGwFwiFBWtouFZQQvII5piYjisUsJBNTj1Ec0fvgBh6XDW5NMYjH9e_e8CGMcLXhfGtHlzvSX4X1f8xxqjPjF79PYNd92SSlhY9oAPHIdeWuTcOHEuArvP5ZTxYh2JOLd67yNaOVrsmU8Rs90ifGJe5a1dRysEM05yzCcwUvGvuRf3J5fF3vNY5YO7gBgIHHzFv4GD_mkO8Wrxm969YuzSLeyqL8b6dzNR9y7aO9-T_1FVubc1sfKzXPb_Dk0Iu7l3IHkEUzi9iYmFXVMzkLBTz4WQ7D9Ogqk6AsVptWPvfWpNOTiy2EkfCgMiczLLy6YWEsrZKNipyQ5gSXJ5PrgoaBj0xvz4uEt-RR-270CWxcm3O-SnnMjAJAxrVdSkh1Kw=w2593-h1585-no

Even though these are very similar bikes, both enduro bikes with 180mm travel, 1600w power, weight, 27.5+, etc. I was always nervous for somthing to break, and i could never get used to the high pedal cadence needed for the BBSHD.

The Exess is out of stock for now, but batch 3 will be available in sept/okt. That means I have som time to clearify what i want.
What color, black og black/orange?
exess-side-black.jpg

Eggrider display or original?
IMG_2018_03_30_09_07_08_8214-500x500.JPG

I want throttle on my right thumb, that means gearing on my left thumb. Kindernay IGH gear as before, or the new Shimano XT DI2 with electronic gearing. That gives me the possability to use the left gear shifter on the rear derailleur. XT DI2 will be 1/3 of the Kindernay igh price.
Should I upgrade the Yari to Lyrik fork??
Dropper seatpost?
Etc..
Some serious first word problems here..

reliability-wise, keep in mind that BBSHD parts are readily available everywhere. Those for the G510 are not.

Won't Bafang resellers be able to source spare parts for the G510 in the same way as for BBSHD?
I havent needed any internal parts for the BBSHD the last two years, so I hope the G510 will be atleast as sturdy, and hope availability will be better in the future..

DP_C230_.png

Does anybody know how the interoperability is between the different bafang head units?
I see the pictured head unit is CAN bus while the bbshd and g510 is UART.. guess they will not work together..

TorEddy said:
Won't Bafang resellers be able to source spare parts for the G510 in the same way as for BBSHD?

right now I asked around a lot of BBS-series spare sellers and they all got a "we don't supply parts for this motor" from Bafang.

I also hope they will revise their stance in the future, however, the previous iteration of their integrated mid drive aka the Max Drive (MM.G330) is out since late 2016 and still no parts on the horizon

jpc6000 here at endless said he might be able to get spares but heard nothing from him since.

TorEddy said:
I see the pictured head unit is CAN bus while the bbshd and g510 is UART.. guess they will not work together..

they won't work together. The G510 is indeed using the "EB-Bus" UART communication, not CAN. You can have a look here for all their UART displays... not sure all of them can be bought aftermarket tho..

Thanks for the info Ivanovitch_k, nice to know that spare parts can be a problem.. Hopfully Exess-bikes can be helpul with spares..

Too bad you can't mix and match between all the Bafang head units. I'm trying to have a clean looking handlebar, but thats not gonna be easy..
s-l1600.jpg

Left hand XT DI2 Shifter
DP_C18.UART1.png

Bafang motor control and display

WEB_Image%20Shimano%20XT%20Di2%20SC-MT800%20Display%203-porter639218999.Jpeg

XT DI2 gear indicator

25412_magura_vyron_elect_seatpost.jpg

Dropper post control

images

Right hand motor throttle

The Egg Rider wil probably replace the Bafang display and control module, but it would be nice to integrate the shimano display as well as i dont really need that, but it's needed in the di2 system..

TorEddy said:
Thanks for the info Ivanovitch_k, nice to know that spare parts can be a problem.. Hopfully Exess-bikes can be helpul with spares..

I would ask them beforehand. My motor supplier -Frey- cannot get parts from bafang :(

It would be interesting to know Exess stance on that matter.

Interesting answer from Exess-bikes:

We are designing currently the new model EXESS HP-E200 which will be released in Summer 2019. This bike will be offered then in 3 versions: 250W pedelec, S-Pedelec (45km/h) and the Race Version (no limits). This bike will be made then for the common bike market and this will be very interesting then for the bike magazines also.

We have ALL spare parts in stock. Those are not much parts and they are quite cheap either. The only problem is the controller because Bafang has made several versions which are not compatible. But we are currently developing our own controller which will be much more reliable, more efficient (higher range), better software, better protection. It will be available end of 2018. It fit in the place where the Bafang controller is mounted, so it just replaces the Bafang Controller. It comes with all bikes from January 2019 and it will be available as an aftersales part as well. So the customers having already an EXESS bike can use this controller also.

yes we will be able to run more than 30A. I don’t know yet how much current we will enable, this needs to be determined.

The new model will be released in Summer 2019.

Even though i really like the looks of the HP-E180, and initially had deciced to buy one, I have now ordered a LMX 64 for several reasons.
First, I see a lot of negativity around the Bafang ultra Max drive. Weight and no spare parts are the biggest gripes. Is the motor rpm versus pedal cadence ratio better then the BBSHD? I really hope so..
Second, I see no third party reviews about the bike, and no promotion from Exess themselves. Except a fancy web page that I really like, it is never updated, and no new videos is released. This makes me very sceptical as i don't see any true passion behind their product.
Third. Is the frame china made? Not sure if it matters, but china carbon fibre might not be the right frame material for a heavy motorized off-road bike.
I also had an unofficial ES-Facebook comparison, where almost everybody finds the LMX 64 to be a far superior bike.
LMX being well known on ES for several years, seeking the right emtb drivetrain, and lately seeing their attention to details, made the choise easy.

That looks very cool! I never got a response on my e-mail to Exess, so I honestly don't think they are up and running any more. Good luck with your new e-bike, spring should be here (even in Norway) soon :)

Soon to be available in the US with the upgraded controller!

https://wattwagons.com/collections/select-your-watt-wagon/products/travalanche

This is great news to potential US buyers.

I bought one direct from Germany last February & can't speak highly enough about the bike & the company. I have put >1000 (off-road) miles on mine & can't wipe the grin off my face every time I ride it. The exess :wink: power is intoxicating.
Jurgen@ Exess has been very responsive to my needs with quick responses to my inquires.
The bike has been trouble free & I am in the process of replacing the motor with one with the updated controller & improved battery.

There is no comparison to standard 250w ebikes...this thing rips (35+mph w/std. 1600w controller). The new 2200w controller should be ridiculous. The 180mm suspension works great even in cross-country use & the extra power completely masks the 57lb. (approx.) weight. Having ridden MX/enduro motorcycles, I believe on under 30mph trails, you'd be faster on this bike than a (gas) dirt bike.

If this bike ticks your boxes don't hesitate to buy one you won't regret it.

$7600, effectively zero details or specs listed, and what appears to be an obscenely small pack for a 3kw bike.

Hang on, let me get my credit card.

They are in the process of putting up specs but my understanding it's fully loaded with all the exess upgrades. You can find full specs on the exess site:

5,890 € Base EXESS HP-E180
+ 390 € upgraded controller
+ 890 € upgraded manitou fork
+ 350 € wireless dropper upgrade
+ 78 € chain guard
------
7598 € (approx $8500)

Watt Waggons is offering the 750W version for $7599. Add $900 for 3000W version which is pretty close to the Exess pricing in USD.

Add $650 for a spare Archon X1 3000W compatible Shark 52V 14ah Battery, including 5A charger.

I guess if Garmin can sell $800 pedals then no price is necessarily unreasonable.

8 grand for a 750w bike or 9k for 3kw still seems steep to me, but perhaps I'm just cheap.

Yep, I don't find it to be any particular value. I don't understand the rationale for WW to charge an additional $900 for 3000W. I think it may be a warranty cost but i don't think Excess charges this fee. It would also be much more compelling without some of the upgrades. If WW just took the base version, upgraded the controller, used a less expensive routed dropper and offered it for $6999 without any upcharge for 3000W it would be much more compelling.

The Exess is a premium bike whose price should be judged compared to similar hi-end, hi-powered, boutique bikes like M1, Stealth, Optibike, Haibike, Gryp, Sem Adventure, Ubco, Eve, Boxxbike & others over 250w.

When you also consider most major brand "legal" bikes have models more expensive than this with the anemic performance of restricted motors, the value of the Exess is obvious.

The purpose of this bike is plain & simply to go fast. It is not built & would be a waste to use it only on tight trails where you never exceed 15-20 mph.

The new Exess & Archon controllers improve the efficiency of the Befang Ultra so the range will be improved.
When I go for hammer rides I can easily ride for 1-1/2 to 2 hrs. at speeds up to 30+ mph with a 12ah battery.

All I can say is, of all the toys I have ever owned (bicycles, motorcycles & cars) this bike is THE most fun machine I've ever owned & to nickel & dime the specs misses the point completely. If a legitimate modern 180mm travel enduro mtb with killer power isn't worth $ 8500, than maybe you're not in the market for ANY $8500 bike. If you think a $ 13,000 Turbo Levo is a better deal....I'll be waiting for you in the parking lot after I get back 5 minutes before you. :lol:

Frankly, if I'm spending $8500 on a bike I'd probably just go and finance a Zero. You're right though, bicycle prices are absolutely egregious, and that's not even considering the powered models. I could afford it outright, I just don't see the value.

On EBR someone questioned the merits of the manitou fork upgrade since it's a downhill fork and this is not really a downhill bike. I think Watt Wagons is offering the bike in partnership with Exesss. It's not really their area of expertise and I think the only reason they are including the fork upgrade is their mantra is to offer highest spec available. In this case I'm not sure it makes sense for the majority of buyers and it's probably pricing more out than will benefit any, but I could be wrong, this isn't my area of expertise either.

https://www.exess-bikes.de/news/exess-hp-e180-now-also-available-with-manitou-dorado-pro-fork

Joe, did you upgrade to manitou fork and If so, why did you choose it?

HK12K said:
I guess if Garmin can sell $800 pedals then no price is necessarily unreasonable.

8 grand for a 750w bike or 9k for 3kw still seems steep to me, but perhaps I'm just cheap.

Its stupid crazy pricing, but those with lots of money and money to burn then so be it.

I'd buy myself a nice bicycle to build from with that kinda doe.

markz said:
HK12K said:

Its stupid crazy pricing, but those with lots of money and money to burn then so be it.

I'd buy myself a nice bicycle to build from with that kinda doe.
If you gave a chimpanzee half the asking price I bet they could cobble together something faster and with better range.

Back