Cyclone mini - very un-smooth throttle response.

endrew

10 W
Hi,
I just finished installing a cyclone mini and took it to a test-ride. all stock parts from Luna.

Two problems encountered immediately makes it unlikely that I could use this motor -
1 - The throttle response is very poor. Very un-smooth. It felt like the motor sometimes suddenly kicks very hard in response to a minor change in throttle position. The motor was operated with the stock controller.

Will a different controller fix this? any other suggestions?

2 - Less important, the noise. I read that these motors are noisy, but I didn't think that it will be THAT noisy. Is there a way of reducing noise?

Thanks!

I would first check the throttle sensor output to see if the problem is the throttle. You should see a smooth linear increase in output from
~.8 vdc to ~3.6vdc from the hall sensor output wire to ground.

The controller is probably not adequate for the motor's RPM, which commonly creates a jerky on/off feel. If there is any tuning capability, it's extremely unlikely that it's tuned properly for the motor out of the box, considering the vendor.

There is no mention of whether the stock controller is sine wave or not, but a programmable sine wave controller would probably be the ticket to reduce the noise. But you will probably find straight cut gears if you open it... not much can be done about that.

TommyCat said:
I would first check the throttle sensor output to see if the problem is the throttle. You should see a smooth linear increase in output from
~.8 vdc to ~3.6vdc from the hall sensor output wire to ground.

I tried two different throttle sensors, with same results. I dont think its the sensor...

neptronix said:
The controller is probably not adequate for the motor's RPM, which commonly creates a jerky on/off feel. If there is any tuning capability, it's extremely unlikely that it's tuned properly for the motor out of the box, considering the vendor.

There is no mention of whether the stock controller is sine wave or not, but a programmable sine wave controller would probably be the ticket to reduce the noise. But you will probably find straight cut gears if you open it... not much can be done about that.

Will a quality sine wave controller also improve throttle response?

I don't have experience with your drive or sine controllers. I just know that high RPM motors run like garbage on cheap controllers with bad tunes, from dealing with early MAC hubs. The key characteristic of a controller that cannot handle the eRPM the motor is dishing out is on/off throttle response or stuttering.. and that characteristic can't be fixed with a tune..

There is certainly a better controller for your motor out there. The high RPM kelly sine controllers, the ASI BAC series, or the phaserunner are certain to run this motor better. But you will have to tune them somewhat for the motor, still.

endrew said:
Will a quality sine wave controller also improve throttle response?

Back