Mongoose/ Dyno CX24 200 Build

EbikeAus

100 W
Hey all,

I've been itching for a new build for some time and saw one of the Mongoose CX 24 200 come up for sale.
It seems that here in Australia they were rebranded as Dyno 24 200, although it appears to have the same frame as the CX 24 450 in the U.S. with rear suspension.

Will post pics soon.
The original tyres having plenty of tread, tells me it hasn't done a lot of work and is in good condition overall.

Being 5' 10 it is definitely a bit small in it's current state..but will most likely copy the other great looking builds like the recent small block build and add some decent forks and 24" front tyre, maybe a different seat and some bmx bars.

First up I'd like to try a 10s 36v 18650 pack on it. Do you guys think I will fry the motor straight away, will it even run, or should I upgrade the controller before even attempting it?

Thanks in advance :)

Hillhater said:
Every 24v bike i have tried , has run no problems, and much better, on a 36v pack .
..( try one on those Aprilias you have too !)

I'll give it a go. Pulled the battery case out today, looks like the 10s pack will fit in nicely.
Thanks

Has anyone tried one of these kits?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com.au%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F142519100496

Or this one

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com.au%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F132614876431

In particular the motor.

Here are some pics of how the 10s pack will fit. The only mod need is to grind down a little off the plastic reinforcements inside the box to allow the pack to fit snugly but not rub on anything hard.

oPy8sVa.jpg

The pack is made of recycled Sony VTC6 cells 10s 4p.

VSo7nzR.jpg

In the next pic you will see there are 2 x POS and 2 x NEG leads as there were 2 x SLA batts in the standard configuration for 24 volt.

sdL24Va.jpg

It appears the controller is limiting/ not allowing 36 volts :?

Looks like I'll have to either make a 24v lithium pack or upgrade to 36v controller.

Any advice welcome

Got it sorted

Hmm, im not sure how exactly that wiring is connected but..
Can you connect the 10s pack direct to the controler input leads to eliminate all those other connections and switches,.
Also check that the bms in the 10s pack is not cutting the power when connected for some reason..

Hillhater said:
Hmm, im not sure how exactly that wiring is connected but..
Can you connect the 10s pack direct to the controler input leads to eliminate all those other connections and switches,.
Also check that the bms in the 10s pack is not cutting the power when connected for some reason..

Yes..I was clearly overthinking it :roll:
I ended up connecting the 10s directly to the controller via a 20 amp blade fuse and the on off switch on the battery box.
It's actually a decent setup the battery box, I reckon I can get 14s 4p in there when I settle on a new motor for it.

The motor does ok on 36 volt but that whining noise it makes would get old pretty quick, as would the hard little seat.
I'll probably get the seat reupholstered with more height and some more foam, or pick up a YZ125 seat as others have done.

I'm definitely getting new forks, front wheel and rear shock as the first few additions.

All in all I can see why others have tinkered with these, they seem like a solid little platform :D

I've ordered a set of these forks

ZOOM 620 DH 20" 24" 26" Disc Brake and V Brake DH Downhill Shoulders Mountain Bike Suspension Fork Travel 100mm
http://s.aliexpress.com/IzaYjYVz?fromSns=Copy

I'm not expecting anything amazing but should be a massive improvement on the dinky kids toy forks that are on there now.
I'm trying to keep this as a budget build for now.

I will add a 24" front wheel and improve front disc, thinking i'll stick with mech disc for now.

I plan to get a dirtbike seat, or reupholster the xisting to give more height and a bit of cushioning, the original feels like it's made from hardwood :roll:

36 volt lithium is a great upgrade so far, been enjoying riding with the kids. Apparently I'm the coolest Dad in the neighborhood :lol:

BoisclairStainless said:
Those Zoom forks look pretty good for the price. What's the total to your door?

I'm hoping they'll be ok.
$180 AUD to my door

Yes, It rides great. I just take it slow on take off. Once it's up to 10-15mph, it speeds up to 30+ fantastic. I dont have a speedometer and haven't pinned it on a straightaway yet so Im not sure of top speed. I have a bigger sprocket for it but until I get a new rim and hub, this will have to do.

BoisclairStainless said:
Yes, It rides great. I just take it slow on take off. Once it's up to 10-15mph, it speeds up to 30+ fantastic. I dont have a speedometer and haven't pinned it on a straightaway yet so Im not sure of top speed. I have a bigger sprocket for it but until I get a new rim and hub, this will have to do.

Looks like it should go well 😃

I decided to go next level with this build, at least for the drive train.

After seeing Raisedeyebrows build, I've ordered a small block and (mongoose conversion kit, my name for it) from Mike at Lightningrods :D

I plan to keep most other components to a smaller budget at this stage.

I have a couple of 14s5p battery packs I'm putting together.
One is Samsung 25R, the other LG HE2.

Thinking I'll limit current to 30 amps initially.

Any suggestions on a 12 fet 30 amp controller are welcome?

Thanks

My Zoom forks arrived, have to say I'm happy :D Probably wouldn't single track or jump with them but for my use they are good.

Bike as it was when I bought it. As you can see from first and last photo the geometry has already improved with new forks :)

2ZeOmDT.jpg

New forks

ABzZFti.jpg

qP9ngul.jpg

YH8LXSb.jpg

BlNK1Iz.jpg

Just ordered a 12 fet Lyen controller and cycle analyst to go with the small block motor.. :D

Hey guys

I bought a 2nd hand YZ125 seat, the original seat had to go, it was very hard and narrow.

So after some mods to the YZ seat it's sitting pretty good. Heaps more comfortable and gives another well needed inch or two height from the pedals...not that a lot of pedaling is planned for this little rocket, well maybe some faux pedaling 8)
I'll post a pic when it's completed with the cover back on :D

f2mLQnb.jpg

KvI6Old.jpg

X8r2KLG.jpg

ilwSmYV.jpg

NrQ6MW9.jpg

skeetab5780 said:
Seat looks good! Nice work

Thanks mate!
It's definitely best mod I've done on this build so far

Seat looks like it's a great improvement, I'll be looking for something similar for mine. The forks you got look much sturdier that the originals too. I'll be watching to see your reaction once you get the motor installed and are riding it, my guess is you are going to get a big grin on your face. I have been riding mine a lot, with the new motor on there please do invest in a good full face helmet if you don't already have one.

Raisedeyebrows said:
Seat looks like it's a great improvement, I'll be looking for something similar for mine. The forks you got look much sturdier that the originals too. I'll be watching to see your reaction once you get the motor installed and are riding it, my guess is you are going to get a big grin on your face. I have been riding mine a lot, with the new motor on there please do invest in a good full face helmet if you don't already have one.

Thanks, I'm very happy with how the seat turned out, I took a bit of a gamble buying the seat off ebay but it worked out well.

The zoom forks are nice and solid compared to the originals but like you I might get a nice set down the track.

Good call on the helmet 😎

I'll be making a few vids of this build.
Here's the first installment

https://youtu.be/eIediyNsjhM

Back