Castle Creation gurus NEEDED....

jawshnitzel

10 mW
hello all,

i did a lot of reading here about 10 years ago and have finally put my bike together....

turnegy 80-100 130kv outrunner
castle creations pheonix edge hv160
external bms
turnegy 130a watt meter
turnegy servo tester modified for ebike throttle
12s 8ah 25c pack
12-1 gear ratio between motor and wheel
20" wheel
rider tuck position
should be geared to do 75km/h top speed

i am still waiting on my cap pack, so it isnt installed yet... but i couldnt wait, so i ran it a bit anyhow with the stock caps only.

here are my settings:

vehicle type = airplane
throttle type = fixed endpoints
throttle response = 1
brake strength = 0
cutoff voltage = auto lipo
autolipo volts / cell = 3.2
voltage cutoff type = soft cutoff
current limiting = very sensitive 160a
current cutoff type = soft cutoff
motor start power = low(39)
motor timing = low(0)
direction = reverse
pwm rate = outrunner mode

and here are my symptoms that id like to correct. it of course goes like crazy, lifts front wheel. but while my watt meter will say it maxed out at 126amps, the castle log says 300+amps. and at this point the high amp cutoff occurs.

how do i avoid this? do i have a setting that could be adjusted? ive played with throttle response and motor start power but i cant keep it from over current.

potential problems:
-too much voltage ripple? (cap pack on way)
-130a watt meter tooo small??? maybe remove from system?
-pwm rate setting maybe should be 24khz?????
-maybe motor timing need tuning????

i though i had way more control with the settings that the free castle software comes with..... am i missing something?

its fun, but i think it could be funner if i figure this out ;)

datalog of last short ride attached.

shnitzel

could it be that the castle creations log is phase current and the watt meter is battery current?

300A is phase current, you can't control phase current with Castle ESC's. Only thing you can do is lower the 'current limiting' from insensitive to sensitive. Also, you should use a Cycle Analyst in 'current control mode' and wire a shunt inline with the battery for power measurement. This will actually give you control of the torque produced (rather than controlling motor speed). Also, an 8ah pack is pretty small for 100+ amps.

-dave

Yes, the current limiting on the HV160 doesn't work anything like the current limiting on a 'normal' ebike controller. Pretty much no limiting and when it does limit, I think it just cuts power completely.

A CA3 might work but due to the latency in the throttle response, getting the PID parameters dialed in on the CA is very difficult. It will have a tendency to surge or oscillate.

The best approach is probably to limit how fast the throttle responds.

Back