Crazy Genius bike design crankshaft-speeds

It's a fake drivetrain with an imaginary design. That one in the video doesn't shift at all, and it probably would break with even the gentlest attempts to pedal the bike. I doubt that even a stronger single speed version would withstand heavy pedal torque without skipping, damage to the driven plate, and/or breakage of the small rolling element bearings used as gear teeth.

It is a beautiful piece of the machinist's art. But this is the kind of thing that happens when you have a generation of designers fooling around with 3D printing instead of engineering.

markz said:
1 - Its a prototype

I suggest it's not even a prototype, but a non-functional mockup.

Ivanovitch_k said:
mhh, reminds me of the bafang G380

It reminds me even more of the shaft drive used by Major Taylor in the 1890s. That one, like this one we're discussing, used rollers instead of teeth on one side of its bevel gears. The rollers were on the wheel rather than the shaft, so there was no potential opportunity to shift ratios.
4739907849_19cf553bed.jpg

But until this newfangled version of a very, very old idea gets implemented in a bike that can actually be shifted and pedaled without messing it up, the 1890s bike wins.

Shaft drives are not rare anymore.
Many of the "sharebikes" around here have shaft drive and other odd features,,
Like this, which also ha a Nexus 3 speed in that hub
4AJCNX.jpg

And whilst this looks very similar...you will actually realise it is a Left hand side shaft drive,..on a mono arm rear frame,.and with some weird disc brake in the center there somewhere.. :shock:
4zzCZr.jpg

Hillhater said:
Shaft drives are not rare anymore.
Many of the "sharebikes" around here have shaft drive and other odd features,,
Like this, which also ha a Nexus 3 speed in that hub
4AJCNX.jpg

First of all, ew. Gross.

Second, shaft drive seems like a good idea for a bikeshare design, because so many of the parts are fundamentally incompatible with normal and common bikes. Therefore they're not as appealing a target for theft and parting out.

And whilst this looks very similar...you will actually realise it is a Left hand side shaft drive,..on a mono arm rear frame,.and with some weird disc brake in the center there somewhere.. :shock:
4zzCZr.jpg

Ew. Gross. There are definitely no worthwhile parts there for the thieving scum type of DIYer.

The latest newcomer on the bikeshare scene here in Austin is an outfit called Jump, who have highly bespoke and tacky e-bikes with Bafang hub motors and rack mounted batteries.

I'm a little surprised that a bike with this little time-tested design in it doesn't have a shaft drive. But I guess it's already theft-resistant enough the way it is.

Whatever gets feckless self-entitled idiots out of their cars for a few minutes is a good thing. I have to keep reminding myself of that.

There are many different variations on the sharebike designs, some almost conventional, .
The only common factor seems to be those solid tyres.
i have certainly eyed up one with a spoked rear wheel , 3 speed Nexus, hub brake etc...and since many of these are now abandoned, could be ripe for "rescue"
One sharebike org has quit the country, and rather than collect the 1000s of bikes , it has told its registered users to just keep 2 each !( it had originally cost $60 to register)

Back