What are the drawbacks of increasing voltage?

endrew

10 W
OK, so I know that higher voltage means lower current and less gear shifts. But before I switch from 48V to 60V I'd like to know what are the drawbacks - will it affect the throttle response? maybe less accurate? not as smooth?

Any other drawbacks?

Thanks!

Many changes. It depends to some degree on how you ride, and how you modulate the throttle.

Throttle response will be more abrupt, less precise.

Power to motor will increase. Acceleration will increase. Top speed will increase.

Max current from battery to controller will be the same (limited by controller).

Average current from battery to controller may be less but only if you manage it with the throttle (which is now harder to do). Wire losses in an ebike are negligible, so it does not help.

Motor current will be the same for the same torque (has to be), but will increase at (the now increased) full power. Motor and wiring insulation is good for far more voltage than we're going to use. The ONLY way to increase motor torque is to increase motor current.

Motor losses increase at greater torque (I squared times R).

Overall the bike will likely be less efficient due to higher power peaks and higher speeds.

Increased efficiency by raising battery voltage is pretty much a Myth. There is a slight gain in one corner but there are many losses that in most real situations are larger.

Electric shocks will be more severe (and can be very dangerous), and shorts will be more spectacular and damaging.

Connector damage and sparking at connection will increase (unless precharge is used).

The bike may be more fun, and a wider EV grin may return for awhile.

Ride safe.

I have a 52v and a 72v bike. I have also ridden the 72v bike with the 52v battery.

Pros:

The ride is more relaxed, like an electric car or hub motor bike, the times you shift becomes drastically less.

You can get away with thinner wires to reach the same power (watts), and you will have smaller losses, in the wires.

It is easier on your drivetrain if you are smart about it. Pick a higher voltage, let the RPM go high, and in turn the torque will stay low. Your bike will be more reliable. You might lose the ability to pedal along in some circumstances.

Cons:

Due to the higher rpm, you will have higher mechanical efficiency losses(generally around 200w at full speed). Better to keep your rpm around 20-40% while cruising and 40-70% when racing.

It becomes more dangerous to touch, as a fully charged 72v is 84v, and that will start to get ugly if you touch it.

You can't increase the volts forever as for example the insulation on the copper of your motor is finite.

I would always go with a +50% jump in voltage over a +50% jump in amps(same power). Higher voltage is blissful driving, less shifts, less stress on drivetrain, you can rev it out and let that motor scream! :lol:

Instead of a lower current thing, be thinking a need for speed thing. If you are constantly mashing your throttle wishing you had a little more top end, then overvolting is a pretty simple way to get there. For me personally I like the higher speed enough to not worry about any efficiency hits.
But if you're rarely or never pushing that throttle harder and hypermile-ing then maybe it matters.

Back