SRaaE(sur-ron as an enduro bike)- my take on sur ron

nethern

1 mW
Hvae surron for a while, like this bike. I saw there are not many riding review about the bike from dirtbike rider perspective. Want to add some spice to the pile.

About me
I just started to ride enduro dirtbike 1.5 years ago. My skill is only at beginner's level. I was amazed by how physical demanding offroad riding is, particularly when starting off. I am basically a weekend warrior who has limited time of practicing.But i want to improving my riding skill, like body position, balance, wheelie, etc all the cool stuff. Dreaming about riding like Grahm Jarvis one day.

Why sur ron
For offroad single track, i ride a 2t ktm 200. But the bike is kind of tall for me. I have 30inch inseam . A lot of cases when on the trail, i can't reach ground when stuck. Or can't have one foot on the ground and kick start. Dead lifting 110kg on a slope after crashing adds on top of my physical wearing. I quickly worn out and needed break. (Welcome to enduro) i am also bad on throttle. Whisky throttle once almost sent me to a tree. I have heard cross training is benefitial for offroad riding learning trial riding skills. So i am looking for cheap option of something to practice at my backyard without annoying my neighbours, or the in backhill park where dirtbike is not allowed. I need something light(dont need to lift hard) and lower seat (can give more confidence with feet on ground).

I diy'ed a bbshd with an old downhill bike, but the power delivery sucks on the controller. I could never do wheelie on it. No room on bike for a better controller, and i dont want to spend too much time on what i am not too good at. Then I looked at oset eletric trial bike The online reviews did not give it justification and for the adult version, its bit overpriced. Then i found this good looking and seems-capable surron. Not too expensive. If it can be modified to a trial bike, even better. Evnerd has interesting conception about this convertion, though not available as yet.

Now i have it. i took it for a hard ride(for me) to see what it can do.

My sur-ron
Stock 60v model
X model controller
58t rear spocket

The forrest
The forrest is the place many dirtbikes like m spend their weekends. The tracks are full of ruts and whops from seasons of abuse. The photo gives an idea of the track but the are worse ones.
IMG_20180805_124828-1.jpg

Taking it to the field
Unlike big and heavy ktm, which i need a trailer and bike rail on it, i only need a hitch rack for the surron. The was originally bought for carrying the ktm, but my little car's hitch ball weight rating is not up to the task. For surron, piece of cake.
IMG_20180805_175720-1-1.jpg

Ride with agility

The bike is very light and agile. I can be controlled easily to where ever i wanted, even for saving a crash. It can turn quick and sharper than dirtbike. It feels a bit unstable compared to dirtbike with bigger-wider wheels and better suspensions. But dnm fork and shock still did great job on obsorbing bumps. I am no expert of suspension, but i just know it gave me smooth enough ride. Not the best.

Because of its light weight, body position affect more on the riding. Wheel spin happens more often than my ktm. I have to keep my butt on the rear constantly to settle it. Low handlebar might also contributed to the issue.

Cornering
I could lean it fast and easily, meaning i could start turning a little bit late to the corners. One thing that kept annoying me is the hard plastic cover. It hurt my inner thigh when i tried to sit on it for turn. Hence, my turn cant be too fast or the front could wash out. The surron r&d team clearly has no one rides dirtbike.

The stock handlebar also interfered with my sticked out leg. I often accidentally pressed the horn on left turns.well, given the silence of this bike. That can warn other trail riders i am coming. Good feature! :lol:

Technical riding
The narrower wheel made it easier to get stuck in between rocks or gaps. There was once, i had to pull the front wheel off the gap when riding through a rock pile. The clearance is also a bit lower than ktm.

Dont think they are big issues, just need to pick a line this bike can go through.

I am also eaily wheelie through or jump over some obstacles with surron that i was reluctant to do with ktm due to feeling lack of control or confidence.

However, i would not want to attempt real challenge log hop due to the filmish skidplate. The engine is next to it. Even with a good skidplate, i worry that the frame mount cant hold on to the abuse. (See durability&quality section below)

Power
The power it delivers is very tamible and predictable compared to a 2t dirtbike. So, it can easily give confidence to its rider. For most parts of the trail i rode, it has no problem coasting along with decent speed. In fact, in some section of the tracks, i felt like i rode faster than with my ktm.

However, it is not that powerful for the real climbs. For the real climb, i mean this:
images

There s a long steep climbing section i usually went, it coped well at the beginning, but struggled to move in the middle part. I had to paddle with my legs with full throttle, helping it tackle the steepest part. Once the slope eased a bit, by putting more weight at the back, it shot through with no problem. Building momenton is also a key on climbing with surron, actually for every vehicle.

Wheelie was easily achievabled by just blipping the throttle even from standstill. (Wheelie like Grahm Jarvis, yeeehaa!)
images

I found myself able to wheelie up logs or rocks where i usually just rolled over or even stalled with my ktm.

Less physical demanding
Dirtbike riders are some of the most fit group of people. I can recall that i could not even climb back to my ktm after following an experienced mate on e hourrs non stop riding. After 2 hours ride on surron, i did not feel as exhausted as riding ktm at the same tracks. I felt i could still keep going for the whole day. No dead lifting 100kg, no arm pump of operating clutch, though still burn on thigh and back, it was enjoyable to ride. It is understandable due to the less powerful engine and my skill level. And the low stock handlebar did give my back some good workout.

Plus, there is simplicity of operating an eletric bike, where no consideration of clutch, gear selection and engine stalling is needed. I focused more on line selection and throttle control. I have to say, it made me a better rider for that part.

Durability & Quality
Everyone seems to think sur-ron had made a very good quality bike. I like to put a pinch of salt to that. I think it is good but not great. There is once my rear whell had a rusty metal wire stuck between the swing arm and rotor. The wire chipped the swing arm a little. The exposed silver internal shows very rough surface, a bit like chipped dry brick mortar. (If my anology make sense). I have seem this kind of material being used by other dodge chinese parts i bought of aliexpress. They just break easily. It seems the aluminiun used for the frame is not as high quality compared to whats used on my ktm or my mountain bike(6061?). I could even use the metal wire to rub another small chip off it with some force. I believe the lower cost of the bike need to come from somewhere.

This is where my boot rubbed during the 2 hours ride. I hope my boot wouldnt sand the swing arm to needles
IMG_20180805_145806_HHT-1.jpg

Here is paint flakes from skidplate after the ride.
IMG_20180805_135313-1.jpg

Here is how i bent the skidplate when attemped a log jump..first try.
IMG_20180805_123553-1.jpg

Oh, the rear brake was suddenly lost in the first 60 minutes ride. Couldnot feel anything on the lever. While front brake made big squirl noise when brake and did not have much stopping power.

Summary
Surron is designed for fun offroad ride by people who had never rode real offroad. I believe the product idea was derived from the diy eletric bicycle market. But it is a big leap from what have been produced in china.

It can possibly match 50cc or even 100cc pitbike on trail. I did enjoy my ride with it. But i dont believe it is for the serious enduro rider.

The product quality is good, but, i want to see how long it can stand the nature's abuse. Only time can tell. Will update you if i break it.

how is the topspeed after change the 48T to 58T?
The speedo on the display max shows 72kmh/48T....feels more like 64Kmh max to me.

I like to replace the rear gear, 60kmh is perfect for riding in the dirt/forest....58T?60T are bigger?65/70T 8)

Joachim said:
how is the topspeed after change the 48T to 58T?
The speedo on the display max shows 72kmh/48T....feels more like 64Kmh max to me.

I like to replace the rear gear, 60kmh is perfect for riding in the dirt/forest....58T?60T are bigger?65/70T 8)

Download gps speedometer on your phone, hit record and put it in your pocket. When finished riding check your max speed.

nethern said:
Hvae surron for a while, like this bike. I saw there are not many riding review about the bike from dirtbike rider perspective. Want to add some spice to the pile.

Thanks for sharing with us your comparison between a real dirt bike and a surron!
It is very useful and confirm my idea: this ebike isn't build from and for a real dirty bikers who want replace their endothermic motorbike.

A light and less power e-motorbike (50-60kg) could be a good alternative for the weekend-rider (as me) who search fun instead of pure power (that requires ad adequate training), I keep looking. :wink:

Jonny

Back