GNG / CYC X1 Pro 3000w

neptronix

Administrator
Staff member
Hey guys.. i was asking GNG if they had a 0.35mm lamination version of their mid drive motor..
And the guy at the end of the line told me about a new drive coming out in a few months.. the X1-pro.

Here are some pictures he sent:

View attachment 3

DH bike left-2.jpg

View attachment 1

WhatsApp Image 2018-08-08 at 11.42.19-1.jpg

Me: ( do you have a 0.35mm lam motor )

Them: Dear David,
Our new X1-pro 3000w motor is 0.2mm will be available in about 1-2 months but the thickness of GNG2016 premium motor stator lamination is 0.5mm.

Me: Wow, 0.2mm laminations!!! can you tell me more about this X1-pro?

Them: Yes! We spent a lot on the motor stator design and tooling. It is a 80OD motor.
Overall reduction 1:36.
Our motor is only 2.5kg with all the controller and reduction gear.
There will be two version, one with 2nd stage gear reduction, another with 2nd stage chain reduction. And there will also be different mounting option for 68/73/83/100/120mm bottom bracket.

So that's all the info i have for now, but i wanted to tip off ES... :)

If they have done a proper job of the design & engineering, it looks interesting.
Light weight, thin laminations, compact, doesn't hang down too far, stronger cranks (not square taper anymore!!), decent thick mounting plates..
Wonder if it has torque sensing?

If it doesn't have any weak points, and can make the power they are claiming, it could be one of the better mid-drives. If torque sensing, better again!
However, GNG doesn't have a track record of high quality engineering so far, so we will have to wait and see.

Tommm said:
Will mud and salt enter that open hole?

looks like there is a cover glass / acylic on there.

OK, i got more information from him.

"We use the thickest copper wire we can get, and use eproxy to fill it up for better cooling and water proof, and use the highest grade magnet for its high temperature use . And tempered glass to show the beautiful internals.

It is an in-runner 80 O.D. motor.
1:6 First stage Hardened steel planetary gear, for its reliability.
Right now we are finishing the controller unit and mobile App(spent a lot of time and effort as well).
We will run it at ard 6000rpm top speed.
After reduction the maximum torque will be around 150N.M.
The unit will include PAS sensor(32 poles)
Tanwan made premium ISIS bottom bracket unit.
ACS crossfire Freewheel"

"We will have better photos, testing videos and renderings in the coming two weeks. The rendering I sent you is the older design."

"We are open to more feedback from you guys before we go into the first manufacturing run."

6000 rpm's hmm, i was sure it's gonna have way more... which is better.

It sounds as though the bottom bracket is a separate item (which is good..)
On the "Sempu and Bafang Torque Sensing Bottom Brackets" thread, and looking at the Sempu and Bafang websites, there are occasional pictures of ISIS (not square taper) torque sensing bottom brackets. I have looked on Aliexpress etc and have not seen anyone selling the ISIS ones. (If anyone knows where I could buy one, please let me know..)

Neptronix.. as you are in contact with them.. Could you please let them know that there are some potential customers who would be MUCH more interested in their product if they offered a Torque sensing bottom bracket and a well-tuned controller that used the torque signal.
Better yet would be a controller / display combination that was programmed for, and could be easily switched between, three modes: 1) Pure Torque sensing, 2) Hybrid Torque / Cadence, and 3) Pure Cadence sensing PAS.

Hopefully, as it is a new product, the controller will be Sine Wave / FOC for less noise and greater efficiency?

one plus for toruqe sensor, but the problem is, that only torque sensor bb i know are thun's and the like and they all are 68mm :(

Hi Emaayan, Re: Torque Sensing BBs:
Check the relevant ES thread for more info: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=94553

Sempu make various lengths: http://www.sempu.net/newsshow.php?id=1

And although they are hard to find, there are definitely photos and drawings of Sempu double-sided torque sensor BBs with ISIS crank connections...

Edit: Here's a seller that might be able to do the ISIS version.. as usual on AliExpress, many different products jumbled together on one listing, with conflicting specifications etc. Type T3 shown with ISIS crank connection, but no specifications, drawings or price for the T3...
The joys of dealing with Chinese suppliers!!
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/torque-sensor-transducer-standard-buttom-bracket-parts-for-electric-scooter-e-bike-motor-assisted-bicycle/32793693999.html?spm=2114.12010108.1000013.2.13221e86nCmIHq&gps-id=pcDetailBottomMoreThisSeller&scm=1007.13339.99734.0&scm_id=1007.13339.99734.0&scm-url=1007.13339.99734.0&pvid=db8497ee-aa23-4d03-9ff6-0bb986e90809

well, if that controller is halfways normal:
a sempu bottom bracket plus a Cycle Analyst from www.ebikes.ca should do the job, or a sempu bottom bracket plus a german 'Forumscontroller' kit from www.pedelecforum.de. Both can be customized and offer more functionality as most stock displays.

fechter said:
At 6000 rpm it’s going to sound like a big electric drill. I wonder how loud it is?

Yeah, that's true.
And the glass window won't help.

I don't think there is anything subtle or stealthy about a 3kW mid drive though.
I like high power density / high RPM drives though.. i'm willing to kick off the trend of partially lining motors with dynamat.. :lol:

Its like the cyclone and the Tangent Ascent had a baby. I like it! Maybe all the power of the cyclone 3000W with the size of the Ascent but much quieter?

Probably gonna be a grand or more, but if they can keep it around the cost of the BBSHD, im in SO HARD!

They just went up 25% for USA.

The 25% tariff is on Items coming from China, well for a while that is ,
isn't GNG in Hong Kong ?
so
Are you saying that goods that come from Hong Kong also have that tariff ?

I know that Hong Kong went back to China as a Territory, but for Business don't they have a different set of Import/Export regulations / ability to do business different than the mainland ?

Someone who knows about the Hong Kong Business Climate please comment on the difference between Hong Kong and Mainland China.

Items made in China that are shipped to Taiwan , Vietnam, Canada etc. are not part of that Tariff according to the articles I have read .

tomjasz said:
They just went up 25% for USA.

Any videos? Im interested if it doesnt have too much noise on low power (500-1000w). And it needs to have good throttle control unlike bafang or tsdz2.

They are not going to make it with torque sensing. Pas and torque simulation only.. I did ask.

My Feedback to GNG ....

1) We want an option of Full Right hand Ergo Grip Throttle, and Left Hand Full Ergo Grip Throttle . ( ergo grip so hands do not cramp up as much as standard full throttle and half throttle )
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ergonomic-Rubber-Mountain-Bike-Bicycle-Handlebar-Grips-Cycling-Lock-On-Ends/657377690

https://www.google.com/search?q=Ergo+Bicycle+Handlebar+Grips&rlz=1C1NDCM_enUS811US811&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwicxvKR1K7dAhWLylMKHSToC1EQ_AUICygC&biw=847&bih=393#imgrc=LC3trByd-u0m8M:

2) We want option of wiring on the controller for Hydro Disc Brake Handle shut off switch. ( Brakes like all the newer Hydraulic Shimano Disc Brake Systems )
in other words ... Motor Cut off when pulling in the Brake Handle .

3) On option to buy from more than one or two sellers . In other words let many companies / people become dealers for this motor .

Edit: Neptronix , If you become a dealer for these I am fine with that, I just do not want to see the same problem I have seen with other products that have only one U.S. Distributor and / or Vendor.

4) A good price for us Consumers ( End Buyers )

A little more info i received from Jon Chan of GNG on the new X1:

"Dear Victor,

It is real and please look at some of our testing motor photos. Though it is not perfect yet as in the photo.(the black eproxy is for heat dissipation) we will fill up the motor with clear eproxy in the final version, which is an expensive procedure but will greatly improve the heat dissipation rate and durability of the motor. we are still doing endurance test and noise test. We encountered some delay due to the manufacturing issue and it is all solved now. launching date will be delayed for another month (accept pre-order on ard 10/10 and start shipping at the end of Oct) but we are finally getting there.

You can also help us update the folks in endless sphere with these photos and the launch date. Thanks!

Attached are some photos of me testing the bike. its power and performance is top-notch!"

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2018-08-08 at 6.34.16 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2018-08-08 at 6.34.16 PM.jpeg
    147.7 KB · Views: 24,827
Trying to upload 2 more images that didn't make it straight from my computer

nwPZXCu.png

s4sLalE.png

Yeah I was going to go the bbhd phaserunner route but I might wait for this

Im waiting for this also. I would like to see videos how much noise it makes. I hope it will have good throttle control without any lag.

Im not sure is it good that there is no display other than phone? Is there any info what voltages it supports?

And it looks to be at least 1/2 the weight of the BBSHD ! perhaps even a little under a half , like 45% or so of the weight .

devo1223 said:
Yeah I was going to go the bbhd phaserunner route but I might wait for this

This is what i have about the voltage and controller placement and reduction options:

"We also have a 2nd stage 219H chain version, and you can try to mount in front of the bottom bracket or within triangular frame,

the Controller takes 30V-60V batteries, max 65A input and it is mounted between the mounting plate."

Back