Bikee Bike motor build

elementary

10 W
After many emails I took the risk and bought what they call a 1500w
I tried my best to communicate with them my intention to use my Hobbyking back pack and they said no problem. I made a point to ask for red/black power cord and they said ok and offered a water resistant connection too!
Well it arrived and it is a paper weight until they get back from holidays in Italy.
The problem... 1. They sent a three wire power cable! yellow, blue, green and no instructions how to connect.
2. They didn't include a motor controller button pad.

Considering what I paid for the motor I would have expect better customer service and for them to understand +/- power requirements Maybe include all the parts?
I could guess at the wiring, but they were careful enough to include "highlighted" WARNINGS that if something doesn't work it's my problem.
I will update and post how long it takes them to get the the Bikee motor running.
For now, if you are serious about buying a Bikee Bike kit, don't until we see if/when they address these issues.

elementary said:
1. They sent a three wire power cable! yellow, blue, green and no instructions how to connect.
That's usually what's used for the motor phase wires. Are you certain that is the power cable? (it certainly doesn't look water resistant with bare wires)

You can test where the wires go with a multimeter, but you'd need to open up the controller to do it.

Normally the controller has a red and black cable for - and + The cable in the picture is the phase cable normaly like amberwolf said. Could you take a picture of where that cable comes from ?

Good luck
Leo

This is what they said....

About the wiring: Blue is ground, yellow is positive.
About the motor controller button pad: that’s an optional and you’d have to request for that at the order. If you want one we can send that to you for 75 Euros + shipping.
Please note that we are closed for summer holidays till Aug. the 27th.

Should I feel good about spending almost $1700.00 (after customs charges) and realized that a simple plastics button is optional... NO...
What I think Bikee Bike should do is use a cheap cardboard box for shipping to save money so they can afford to provide a kit with all the parts...
See picture of Bikee box next to Bafang box..

At this point we can agree Bikee Bike is still a Beta Test, but they have a nice shipping box...

Maybe they could use Bafang parts and provide a complete kit... See picture

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-08-14_075730.jpg
    Screenshot_2018-08-14_075730.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 2,642
1. Picture of Bikee Bike motor
2. First carbon fiber layer for fat bike swing arm clearance modification.

NOTE: The Bafang BBS 02 or BBS HD required the same fat bike swing arm modifications

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-08-14_085217.jpg
    Screenshot_2018-08-14_085217.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 2,630
Hi Walter, I believe now you have everything you need to get it going. I'm not sure you received my message about the app. That's the standard way to setup the system and that's why the button pad is optional. Please feel free to contact me for more support! Thanks, Matteo

Did someone mention wide?

Okay, but lets keep in mind that if pedaling or exercise were priorities, we would still ride 70 pound 1958 Schwinn Phantom's

FYI, modification of carbon fiber is much easier than making the same modifications on Alloy frames doing TIG welding on the very thin aluminum swing arms.

But no worries, I have broken several pivot bolts, but never a swing arm...

See pictures...

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-08-15_090237.jpg
    Screenshot_2018-08-15_090237.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 2,498
  • Screenshot_2018-08-15_090242.jpg
    Screenshot_2018-08-15_090242.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 2,498
Pilot Engineer said:
Hi Walter, I believe now you have everything you need to get it going. I'm not sure you received my message about the app. That's the standard way to setup the system and that's why the button pad is optional. Please feel free to contact me for more support! Thanks, Matteo
Okay, yellow + , blue - but I need to know what the green is connected to because I see resistance and maybe some capacitor
twitch when I check it with meters...

1. Bikee did approve batteries up to 20s, but at 16s the Bikee app is not allowing controller adjustments and shows two alerts. (See pictures)

Bikee email...
Our controller can work up to 72V nominal Lithium Ion cells. So 84V is the max it can handle.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-08-15_135848.jpg
    Screenshot_2018-08-15_135848.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 2,471
Walter, the system has an anti theft protection mode which allows you to modify the setting only after you entered your unique PIN number into the app. You just have to do that the first time. Your PIN number is on the label inside the nice box! ;)

Plus I confirm you that the system handles the 72V 84V max ) without any problem.

I suggest you to download the manual here: https://www.google.it/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.bikeebike.com/uploads/1/2/6/8/12686946/bikee_bike_best_ebike_kit_user_guide.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjTvYXc5-_cAhUQxYUKHaNtDrQQFjAAegQIABAB&usg=AOvVaw0dawkDUCUYhL2l-aQHkiWM and read it. If you have any problem you can just look at page 48.

Looking forward to see your first reaction after your first ride. If you want to feel the full power you can set the country as "OTHERS" . otherwise you can limit the motor to any of our smaller power versions to save up some battery.

Green wire is for communication but since you don't have our original battery with smart BMS, that won't work. Not a big deal: our electronics will figure out battery data such as charge level, just the figures won't be as accurate as with the smart BMS.

By the way: I love your built and again I'm looking forward to see your first reactions.

Matteo

elementary said:
1. Bikee did approve batteries up to 20s, but at 16s the Bikee app is not allowing controller adjustments and shows two alerts. (See pictures)

Bikee email...
Our controller can work up to 72V nominal Lithium Ion cells. So 84V is the max it can handle.

20S LiFePO4 batteries would be about 72V, perhaps they didn't mean higher voltage cells.

Sorry to give Bikee Bike bad news.
First let me give some history... I build ebikes for a hobby and if you followed me over the years you may recall these two carbon fiber FS bikes had several different motors.
Because I was bored with the excellent performing Cyclone 3000w at 72v I decided to try modify carbon fiber frames... just to learn...
My plan..
1. Modify #1 to fit a 100mm Bafang 750w
2. Modify #2 to fit something new... So I picked a Bikee.

The Bafang turned out well... is now a awesome silent stealth street bike running the new Fleetwood smooth tire. see picture

#2 not so good..

1. Bikee is much TOO LOUD... Significantly louder than the Cyclone 3000w. Sounds like loud electric drill.
2. Bikee is not that impressive...Using 44t with a rear cog selection ratios to match my BBS-HD 42t woods fs bike... The Bikee with 16s Hobbyking s DID NOT do anything better than the BBS-HD at 52v shark pack.. But Bikee did get dogs to chase us!
3a Bikee controller wires are in a BAD location. Because a carbon frame is thicker, the wire gets squeezed, I needed to add more shims on the crank side.
3b. The controller wires are too close to the rear tire. Even with tape and wraps they will not last long in the woods. I don't see them surviving 4.5 studded winter tires.
4. No way do I want to use my $400.00 cell phone as a controller interface.
FYI,
New phone working now, but not keen on using it on the bike

Bottomline, these are just my opinions...

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-08-15_163723.jpg
    Screenshot_2018-08-15_163723.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 2,449
  • Screenshot_2018-08-15_173357.jpg
    Screenshot_2018-08-15_173357.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 2,449
  • Screenshot_2018-08-15_173335.jpg
    Screenshot_2018-08-15_173335.jpg
    247.2 KB · Views: 2,449
  • Screenshot_2018-08-15_163718.jpg
    Screenshot_2018-08-15_163718.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 2,449
  • Screenshot_2018-08-15_173251.jpg
    Screenshot_2018-08-15_173251.jpg
    276.5 KB · Views: 2,449
I don't understand whether you've been able or not to modify the settings. You say that it doesn't work correctly but it either work or not. Would you please confirm whether you've been able to change some settings and which ones? Thanks.

Works ok now with another phone,

Will some do more test and try it with 52v shark pack and then with 20s.

I will connect the 20s will the cycle analysis CA-3

Is there something on the green lead the ca-3 could use.

It is unfortunate for Bikee that I have set my expectations too high. Mostly because these two carbon bikes were last powered with 3000 watt motors running 84 volts with 60 amp shunts... and Cycle Analysis managing the controller.

Hi Walter, I'm glad everything works now.

Please note that during your first test ride the default settings were limiting the motor to 1000W, with 50% assistance and a 2-sec ramp (20% taming). So you tested the motor at 500W with a slow acceleration setup. We set it that way initially to have customers experiencing slowly the power the motor can exert and get used to the torque.

So if you want to unleash the real power you have to go in the setting menu, select "OTHERS" AS COUNTRY , put the assistance to 100%, switch the taming to 0% and tap five times on the RACE button. Please be gentle with the frame and do that by steps because the high torque will bend the frame

About the previous points: the only noise is a ratchet clutch which can withstand 200Nm . the noise goes away as soon as you pedal along with the motor.

One question: why you would connect the cycle analyst when you already have all the info and the possibility to modify the settings on the app?

About the 20S battery: I'd skip the test with 52V shark battery unless that can supply 45amp continuous and I'd go straight to the 20s configuration. That will give you more than 3000W. Again be cautious because the top speed should be around 45 mph, and if release the throttle and then you do again wot the flection on the carbon frame can be dangerous if you are in a bend.

Looking forward to hear from you
Matteo

Thanks for clarifying the power settings.

After a short test with the other/race settings, it is obvious the Bikee motor was limited to 1000w during the first test.

After several short test rides using the other/race settings at 16s.. I now can see how the swing arm piviot bolts could break like they did with the 20s cyclone... That why the ca-3 was necessary to limit torque/throttle ramping.

Your advise regarding the safety of this carbon frame is accurate.

The Bikee is a very different animal at other/race settings and I am looking forward to more testing. But suspect the carbon fiber frame will not hold up and I will need to move the Bikee to a alloy hard-tail frame

Also, I don't think the cycle analysis will be used with Bikee... the Bikee app has throttle taming settings and other settings I will need to learn....

Ansious to know more about this kit.
I have asked bikee by email if they sell the motor without the battery but they dont give me feedback...good to know that they do.

I am curious to know more about the noise, because being silente is important to me.

Thank for the detailed review :)

Walter, Great to see that there's a good feeling starting here. It takes a while to get used to the different settings because there's so much to play with. Once you'll have mastered the app, you'll have the system doing exactly what hou want him to do. You could even have your grandchildren testing it in total safety.

I agree with you to switch to the aluminum frame. In some cases the swing arm bending on carbon frame went till the point that the chainring started to scratch the arm, zeroing out the clearance in-between. If you'd insist with that, it might cut through the carbon.

About the power: with the 20s battery you'll experience a totally wild animal, just give him enough juice (45 amp continuous, 60 amp peak) and that will scare you.

Looking forward for the 20s test!
Matteo

Hi Antenor, we just started few weeks ago to manufacture the 1500W motor, and yes, we now sell it in the motor + controller only configuration. Please feel free to send your enquiries to info@bikeebike.com or ask here!
Matteo

The decision is final, the Bikee motor can destroy the carbon swing arm... Broke another bolt already.

Next week, the Bikee 1500w motor will be moving to a Kinnis alloy frame with 190mn rear thru axle.
See picture..

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-08-16_122939.jpg
    Screenshot_2018-08-16_122939.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 2,373
Back