Will a Chris King rear hub handle a BBSHD?

Stu Summer

100 W
Will a Chris King rear hub handle a normal BBSHD's power? Can I get a steel cassette that will fit it?

Thanks!

I believe the BBSHD has a max torque of 160nm, and the CK ringdrive is rated to 1085nm according to their website.

The biggest issues i have with the CK hubs is the soft aluminium driveshell that comes stock. Cheap steel cassettes with individual teeth will chew that thing up notching the splines. You can get stainless driveshells to replace it, but its spendy, although worth it in the long run. The onyx hubs come stock with stainless driveshells if you have not purchased yet.

With that said, i like the all steel sunrace 11-46 cassette(CSMS8) that has great carriers to spread the load on an aluminium spline without marking it so bad. Ive had a couple, and they shift well, and are durable, and i believe there are 11-36/40/42 options as well :twisted: . But when its time to remove it, it will be annoying due to the deformed aluminium driveshell.

If you have an xd CK hub the driveshell will be already steel, and sram makes a all steel XD cassette.

Solaire said:
I believe the BBSHD has a max torque of 160nm, and the CK ringdrive is rated to 1085nm according to their website.

Keep in mind if you have a 24t front and a 48t rear, the wheel torque on the hub will be 160*2.

Anyway, the biggest problem with the bafang mid drives in terms of hub stress is when you start it, the internal clutch takes quite a while to engage, so there is a lot of spinning motor and cog mass, which upon engagement, practically acts like a hammer on the drivetrain.

Back