Bafang Ultra 1000 needs work

garyal1

100 W
I have two Bafang Ultra 1000 mid drive bikes.
One is Frey AM1000 and one is FLX Blade.

The FLX Blade drive has a little over 1000 miles on it and the crank free wheel is going out(it catches once in a while and grinds when back pedaling.)

I cannot find ANY exploded views, replacement parts or teardown videos on this motor!

Can anyone help?

I want to eat the cost and do the work myself so I can learn the drive and make certain it gets properly greased.

I could call FLX and send it in on warranty but this would probably take forever.....

Yes, that is pretty much all I could find as well. That is a good video of the pieces but nothing on the removal, teardown or an exploded view drawing showing the parts and how they assemble together.

I would still tackle it but I cannot find out where to get the parts such as the freewheel and the gasket(s).

Can anyone help?

garyal1 said:
...I cannot find out where to get the parts such as the freewheel and the gasket(s).

Can anyone help?
It seems no one has been able to find a source of spares for any of the new Bafang integrated drives !
Very worrying and a big dis-incentive for anyone considereing buying one.
Eventually a source will pop up, but i gather the Max owners have been searching for 2 years or more ! :eek:
FWIW..in my opinion, Bafang have moved the roller clutch to a lower rpm intermediate shaft, which means that it will be transmitting higher torque levels than it would have done on the plastic gear shaft..
...so i wont be surprised if there are issues with that clutch.
However , the actual roller clutch , will most likely still be a proprietry component available from any good bearing shop.
I would watch that Luna video with the sound off....the guy (bearded) talks some crap at times .!

here are the gears specs, bearings and roller clutch P/N etc.. Bafang G510 v1.5

All images (except the 3 first) are clickable for higher resolution. Dimensions in millimeters.

use the spider + lockring as an handle to pull out this gear and reveal the clutch

Wow!

Thank you sooo much for this. It is a great help.

One more question:

WHERE Can I order these parts?

Biktrix says no unless I bought the motor from therm...

Luna does not answer.....

Ca Ebike does not have them and cannot get them....

I have asked to the same guys as you did + others.

I'm afraid we're SOL on this matter for now :(

Have there been many reports of this issue? I am planning to build a bike this winter, and I have been hoping to use the Ultra 1000. I don't want to spec a motor that has questionable life/reliability as this prototype (should it prove viable) will be offered in a product line. Are there any pictures of the parts that have failed? Is it the 3-pawl clutch that has worn out and is now causing the problem?

Hello, I see that you already have a lot of knowledge about this engine. Can you take a look at my problem? please forgive me English is not my strong point. [youtube]https://youtu.be/4LG-YPLt2Ao[/youtube]

I am in touch with FLX on this. I am sending them a video of the problem and they will analyze it to tell me how to get it fixed. I have offered to do the work myself so I can make sure the drive gets lubed properly. Either that or just pull the whole unit and send it to them.

I will post the results when I get them. I am still pretty amazed the we cannot get parts for these units without going thru the seller of the bike! :?:

From what I have heard, Bafang does not offer any spare parts for this drive, so if something breaks, it could be a major problem. You would likely need to buy the entire unit to get a part. Eventually, some parts may show up as broken units get replaced and parted out.

FLX has assured me they will take care of it. They have proven their commitment to me when I had a problem with the SRAM X1 group set.

I sent them a link to the Video and Expect to hear from them on Monday.

Here is a video of the drive.

https://youtu.be/0lroND3810I

FLX got back to me this morning.
I will pull the drive and ship it to them. They will replace it...

I was hoping they would just cover parts cost, so I could tear it down and see what happened.

Oh well at least they are standing behind their procucts.

I got notice yesterday. A NEW Bafang Ultra 1000 drive was shipped to my attention yesterday from San Diego.

I assume once I receive and install it they will have me ship back the problematic drive so eventually Bafang will get it and analyze the root cause of the failure.

I must say this has been a good overall experience so far. Not the defective drive! The way it has been handled by FLX. They have been great to work with.

Hmm. This thread makes me worry. I have a 1000 in my Luna shopping cart. Perhaps I should swap it for a BBSHD :? This winter, I plan to build a prototype off-road handcycle. A friend of mine used a 1000 in his build, and he loves it (torque-sensing > PAS). However, he doesn't have many miles on it.

We are hoping that the 1000 will be the best high-power e-assist for off-road handbikes, but reliability will be paramount. Are the other commercially-available systems more reliable because they don't run as much power? Just better quality? I will have to look into the availability of the other systems, but they are certain to be far more expensive.

I received the replacement Bafang Ultra 1000 on Friday in good order from FLX.

Installed it on Saturday AM. Everything is now good again! New drive was not a recycled used unit, but brand new unit!

Thanks to FLX for making a bad situation turn out well with no pain. Now to put a few 1000 miles on this new drive! :D

ions82 said:
Hmm. This thread makes me worry. I have a 1000 in my Luna shopping cart. Perhaps I should swap it for a BBSHD :? This winter, I plan to build a prototype off-road handcycle. A friend of mine used a 1000 in his build, and he loves it (torque-sensing > PAS). However, he doesn't have many miles on it.

We are hoping that the 1000 will be the best high-power e-assist for off-road handbikes, but reliability will be paramount. Are the other commercially-available systems more reliable because they don't run as much power? Just better quality? I will have to look into the availability of the other systems, but they are certain to be far more expensive.

If torque sensing PAS is not a big deal to you, I would go with the BBSHD as you can get parts easily, on line. Both have 1500 watt maximum power. The BBSHD is also a few pounds lighter. I have both and the BBSHD is a great drive, just no Torque PAS......

Has there been any change in the availability of spare parts for these Bafang Ultra drives.?
Warranty replacement of the full drive seems to be the only solution , and that may not be an option / declined/ impractical, etc..... for many owners.
Untill a reputable supplier of spares is established, i am surprised anyone is comfortable dropping $1000's on a bike customised for these drives.

Hillhater said:
Has there been any change in the availability of spare parts for these Bafang Ultra drives.?
Warranty replacement of the full drive seems to be the only solution , and that may not be an option / declined/ impractical, etc..... for many owners.
Untill a reputable supplier of spares is established, i am surprised anyone is comfortable dropping $1000's on a bike customised for these drives.
More than half a year later - has there been any change to this unfortunate situation?

Hey guys: I know for a fact I can get any of the parts for this motor from Biktrix, since I bought the bike/motor from them. They stock the clutch and freewheel parts in particular, but I have had no mechanical issues with these parts.

It wouldn't hurt to ask Biktrix again if they will sell these parts to you, though their typical policy is only to sell the parts to folks who have bought the motor from them. Perhaps due to the limited availability from other sources, Biktrix may be willing to help?

For the freewheel in this motor: I have taken it apart (for grease, and my engineering curiosity) and it is a very simple configuration. It is comprised of three hardened and ground steel pawls, which are retained and spring-loaded by a thin steel ring clip, on a steel carrier... This assembly rides inside a typical toothed engagement area. If it's giving you problems I'd take it apart to clean and re-grease, it may not be damaged at all, but binding up due to the SHITTY STOCK GREASE which is in my opinion the only bad thing inside this motor mechanically. I swapped it out around 1500 km for my own peace of mind, it was already showing signs of drying in some areas and there was also some mild ferrous corrosion in the grease (two clear indicators that it SUCKS).

The grease was replaced with Mobilith SHC 100 by the way. So far it is absolutely fantastic and I will take it apart at 3000 km for further inspection.

I think this thread deserves a bump! I was searching for spares info and everyone's saying they can't be bought, there ya go!

Hi guys!

I think my FAT1000 Ultra’s clutch is starting to die after 3000 kms. Sometimes it slips on steep uphills and I’m 100% sure it’s not the chain.

I ordered from https://www.greenbikekit.com/ new gears and the clutch. What I presumably ordered were the frontmost and the rearmost gears.

Do you know if the center gear has some kind of a one-way bearing? Could it be that what’s broken even if it’s unlikely? Can you buy those center gears from somewhere?

Yes the center gear group DOES have a one way bearing and it sounds like this could be your issue. I would change all three.....

garyal1 said:
Yes the center gear group DOES have a one way bearing and it sounds like this could be your issue. I would change all three.....

Thanks for the info! The issue is that where the hell I can find one...

Back