SURRON LB: RESEARCH & DEVELOPEMENT

Discussions related to motors other than hub motors.
This includes R/C motors, botttom bracket, roller and geared drives.
thoroughbred   100 W

100 W

Re: SURRON LB: RESEARCH & DEVELOPEMENT

Post by thoroughbred » Jan 23 2021 9:00pm

WWW has been around forever, i see they have wheels for Cake bike and light bee
https://woodyswheelworks.com/collection ... 0-off-road

$450 for a complete wheel with a billet hub. $90 cheaper if you supply your surron hub. Where can you get a billet hub made for $90?

What would be the ultimate hub configuration for the rear wheel? Doesnt the OEM use some weird bolt pattern for the brake rotor? (and sprocket)

I wanted to try a 21 inch front on my SR but all the aftermarket stuff obviously wont work for my DIY Honda forks.It took a ton of fiddling around, ended up using YZ80 hub, XR650L rim and buchanon spokes. 21 incher feels great over logs and rocks, certainly worth the hassle :wink:

Merlin   10 MW

10 MW

Post by Merlin » Jan 23 2021 9:31pm

sry looks like a china build to me.

way to thick spokes, no name rim and wtf? above 440$ for a frontwheel?
i see the offer is with excel rims but that pic shows no name and that cock thick spokes are a bad wheel build :D

smdub   100 mW

100 mW

Post by smdub » Jan 23 2021 9:39pm

Uhh, Woody has been doing high end wheels for ages (prob longer than I've been alive.) His reputation is fantastic. I suspect the super thick spokes you're crapping on are real 8-10ga motorcycle spokes since he says he has to drill the hub. The nipples don't look like the hybrid ones I have from Wicked that adapt a heavy 12ga mountain bike spoke to a motocross nipple hole. Woody's looks like a real deal motorcycle spoke/nipple.

Merlin   10 MW

10 MW

Post by Merlin » Jan 23 2021 10:16pm

Ya maybe he is, but it's not bad ass using 8g spokes for a 50kg bike.

In UK you can buy for 450 a whole set front and rear from SM PRO... direct from factory.

sc-surfer   10 mW

10 mW

Post by sc-surfer » Jan 23 2021 10:47pm

Well, this isn’t Europe. And Woodys makes an amazing wheel. Yes the spokes are thick. Yes, it might be overbuilt. Yes, they do use Excel rims. And yes, my wheel cost $380 using my own hub. That included shipping and tax. And they turned it around in 1 week. That’s one week from the day I dropped my hub at the post office to the day the wheel came back. And yes, it’s a fantastic wheel. So maybe not a great deal in Europe, but unless you can deliver a better deal to us here in USA I’m calling it a good price for a great wheel.

Merlin   10 MW

10 MW

Post by Merlin » Jan 24 2021 8:37am

i saw pics from "Stock fork surron riders" where the "too thick spokes" hit the brake caliper.

talking about "overbuild" ....no offend to the build itself but thick spokes are bad for "good wheels"
the wheel hast to flex. And with lightweight bikes it doesnt flex at all.
all stress goes to the hub and suspension.

now now you could argue you have a fork for suspension and the hub is beefy enough.
flexing wheels gives you also more grip too.

maybe all of them is on a level the "usually" surron rider doesnt need. but when i pay 450$ for a wheel i expect/want spot on material.

again: no offense.

from experience "wheelbuilders" mostly not that open to critism their work.

if this company is open: ask to get the wheels in 12g spokes.
if he say he has no nipples that match the 8mm holes....well...than you hit the difference between a "wheelbuilder" and a "Wheelbuilder"

thoroughbred   100 W

100 W

Post by thoroughbred » Feb 13 2021 6:43pm

Will the light bee motor be ok with 24S battery? I read that Luna melted some motors down and wonder what the actual limits of the motor are. Isn't the storm bee 96V and does that equate to 24S?

smdub   100 mW

100 mW

Post by smdub » Feb 14 2021 9:33am

thoroughbred wrote:
Feb 13 2021 6:43pm
Will the light bee motor be ok with 24S battery?
The motor limit is a power (thermal) one. Increasing voltage yeilds higher max rpm. If the current is limited, the power can be the same.

Aebrennan   100 W

100 W

Post by Aebrennan » Feb 17 2021 7:21am

thoroughbred wrote:
Will the light bee motor be ok with 24S battery? I read that Luna melted some motors down and wonder what the actual limits of the motor are. Isn't the storm bee 96V and does that equate to 24S?
Storm bee is 25s15p Sony vtc6 cells 105v hot off charger. The motor is same diameter but twice the width of light bee motor. The cases do look identical tho.

liveforphysics   100 GW

100 GW

Post by liveforphysics » Feb 19 2021 1:08am

Aebrennan wrote:
Feb 17 2021 7:21am
thoroughbred wrote:
Storm bee is 25s15p Sony vtc6 cells 105v hot off charger. The motor is same diameter but twice the width of light bee motor. The cases do look identical tho.

That sounds exciting, I love the Sur Ron motor, and a 2x width version is pretty attractive. Can you share pics of it? I'm thinking of retro-fit potential into a light-bee chassis. Swap that motor in and feed it from a pair of ASI BAC8000'S and Sur Rons will cross over the 50hp line.
Each carcinogen vapor exposure includes a dice roll for cancer.

Each mutagen vapor exposure includes a dice roll for reproductive genetic defects in your children.

Each engine start sprays them into a shared atmosphere which includes beings not offered an opportunity to consent accepting these cancer experiences and defective genetics life experiences.

Every post is a free gift to the collective of minds composing the living bleeding edge of LEV development on our spaceship.

smdub   100 mW

100 mW

Post by smdub » Feb 19 2021 4:52am

Not sure if it's what the storm bee uses but surron makes a SP180-C2 twin motor drive. Much too wide for a light bee frame though.
https://evnerds.com/electric-vehicles/e ... companies/

Someone is working on a 'frankensurron' dual motor light bee. Looks promising. Is going to take an enormous battery pack to be able to draw 2x the current though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7lh5Fq95Eg