Paradox Kinetics Hermes

andrebandre

100 W
Here is a little bike i put together.
I can only compare the Hermes with a BBSHD which i have on my daily commuter though that is a 72V setup and this is only 48V.
The Hermes, to my eyes, is the best looking peice of kit out there.
It seems to me very well thought out for its intended use.
It has an electric fan that kicks in just like a car's and stays on for a while even when stopped and then shuts off after a while when stopped as long as the power is on, not sure if it is temp based or time limited.
The gears noise is there for sure but not an anoying sound, at least not to me, is like a turbo, if i go at max speed i can hardly hear it because the wind rushing by my ears. S o would say not very load at all but nothing like the whisper quiet BBSHD.
Powerwise i would say it compares to a BBSHD on 48V but the power is delivered controlled (exponentially) , at least in the begining of the acceleration, it is smoothed out, not raw like with the BBSHD which is good for longevity and bad if you want wheelie torque from standstill.
It is probably intended to preserve the gears and not blow up the controller. Also a certain idle speed is dialed in so that cassette gears can be changed and there is no backlash when throttle applied wile cruising wich is pretty much what most everytbody has dialed in on a BBSHD/Phasrunner setup.
And the possibility for cruise control via a push button on the throttle and a blinking led which shows more or less battery capacity percentage.
The system is not user configurable, that is my only gripe.
Other than that i love it, for what it is.

Attachments

• DSC00589.JPG
    DSC00589.JPG
    133 KB · Views: 3,736
Damn the pics uploading. Some do some don't upload directly from my computer
Have to upload to some hosting site first althoug the size is fairly small.

iNQWngC.jpg

QjgPDji.jpg

LbFMcbC.jpg

6Bs20Xw.jpg

Man you build the craziest bikes. That thing looks like a folder.

It is sort of a folder.
The rear triangle pivots underneath the top tube with the front wheel removed.
It is a well thought out frame, very light, very nicely finished.
The only drawback is that the top tube is so freakin short it is hard to find a battery that will fit.

Unique conversion! Thanks for sharing the great job you did building it!

Looks like a really really nice unit, but damn it's expensive.
Twice the price of a BBSHD setup based on the pricing I've been given - and that assumes purchasing a battery direct from em3ev.

Thanks Luke! I'm much flattered.

@dojrude
It is a more expensive build, maybe too expensive for what it is, but i wanted something that appealed to me from an esthetic point of view.
For value/performance/resilliency, i don't think there is anything that beats a BBSHD at the present time but in general all the Chinese offerings look unsofisticated and industrial, not something one would take pleasure gazing at.
They perform generally very well,at least speaking for myself i had only good experiences with Bafang and Cyclone and considering the price i don't think it can get any better.
As far as i can, i like to experiment and form my own opinion about stuff. It sure is an expensive way of doing things.
There is so much subjectivity out there, some people have only bad experiences while other good ones with the same product, it is hard to know what's what.
Best thing, try it for yourself if you can afford it or take everything with a grain of salt and hope for the best.

Appreciate the update, thanks.

I’m still yet to dip my toe in to ebiking and have been swaying between a BBSHD, a TSDZ2 or the new Lingbei model, but this also perked my interest.

Unfortunately this being twice the price of anything else wipes it straight off the table. The Lingbei is promising, but still has a lot of unknowns and is still being developed and improved. The TSDZ2 while being torque assist has a low cadence and requires hacking to make it beneficial - which is a lot of hassle and additional cost that I don’t think I can be bothered with. The BBSHD seems bullet proof and can be programmed out of the box. Bikee bike also grabbed my attention, but again is so much more expensive and doesn’t seem to have much in the way of a big user base with positive feedback.

At the moment it seems like I’ll be purchasing a BBSHD, but I still have concerns with it not being torque assist. I want something to support my riding, not provide 100% of the effort all the time and I don’t know if reprogramming can do that.

Lots more reading to do, but the BBSHD is winning the race at the moment.

Enjoy your riding, looks a nice unit even if it is only throttle based.

andrebandre said:
Here is a little bike i put together.
I can only compare the Hermes with a BBSHD which i have on my daily commuter though that is a 72V setup and this is only 48V.
The Hermes, to my eyes, is the best looking peice of kit out there.
It seems to me very well thought out for its intended use.
It has an electric fan that kicks in just like a car's and stays on for a while even when stopped and then shuts off after a while when stopped as long as the power is on, not sure if it is temp based or time limited.
The gears noise is there for sure but not an anoying sound, at least not to me, is like a turbo, if i go at max speed i can hardly hear it because the wind rushing by my ears. S o would say not very load at all but nothing like the whisper quiet BBSHD.
Powerwise i would say it compares to a BBSHD on 48V but the power is delivered controlled (exponentially) , at least in the begining of the acceleration, it is smoothed out, not raw like with the BBSHD which is good for longevity and bad if you want wheelie torque from standstill.
It is probably intended to preserve the gears and not blow up the controller. Also a certain idle speed is dialed in so that cassette gears can be changed and there is no backlash when throttle applied wile cruising wich is pretty much what most everytbody has dialed in on a BBSHD/Phasrunner setup.
And the possibility for cruise control via a push button on the throttle and a blinking led which shows more or less battery capacity percentage.
The system is not user configurable, that is my only gripe.
Other than that i love it, for what it is.
Beautiful build. Thank you for sharing. And i learned about this super cool looking bike as well.

May i ask how / where you bought the bike from? These are airnimals rhino, sold in uk. Did you import them from uk directly? How do you like the bike ovetall? It has decent shox on both sides. How does it perform as a mtb?

Thanks again

I did purchase it from the Cyclecentric UK (the Airnimal site)
It comes stock with a decent but basic Rockshox 155mm rear shock which i replaced with a Magura MX 165mm.
I haven't had the chance to put it through its paces in rougher terrain but i wouldn't consider it a proper mountain bike.
Maybe some sort of a BMX/Trail bike crossbreed.

2t3cJlU.jpg

We7Rsjt.jpg

One more pic with my personal tractor semi trailer.
I do drive a real one for a living but this little one is much more fun.

9zR0eGq.jpg

Back