Bafang ultra - swapping thumb throttle for twist grip?

benjamin84

100 W
Hi all,

I'm considering buying an e-bike with the Bafang Ultra Max 1000W motor, however it only has a thumb lever throttle and coming from a motocross background that is bound to annoy me no end for more sporty riding. Is there a compatible twist grip out there that I could easily swap over?

I have a half grip one that came from Luna with the Bafang Higo connector already installed.
Pretty much any hall effect throttle could be spliced into the cable for the thumb throttle.

That sounds promising - any special specs I should look out for? Again coming from motocross bikes this is a whole new world of kit to me ;)

The thing to know is that most throttles (hand or thumb) are 3 wire hall effect devices. Some have 4 wires to be able to run a voltmeter or some other accessory in the throttle housing. Point being, even if you get one with the wrong end on it, wiring to work with your system shouldn't be that big a deal.

That sounds good! Can anyone recommend any good brands for such a throttle grip?

Had a chance of testing the bike today (Exess HP-E180) and I absolutely have to get a different throttle sorted before I would consider a bike like that.

Back