I have 420 miles and 40,000 feet of climbing on my build at this point. So far it has been very reliable and fun. The chain has only stretched 0.6%. Since the configuration appears to be stable, I have decided to post my Bill of Materials. I'm a bit surprised at how inexpensive it is.
The parts which need to be modified are:
- File out "D" section, File Keyway. 15 minutes with a round file and a square jewlers file.
Motor shaft spacer tubes
- May need cut to length.
Motor Mount Rivet Nuts
- I installed three Rivet Nuts in the bike frame (scary
). These appear to be exactly the same as Giant uses for water bottle mounts, and they seem to work very well. I used a Hose Clamp at the front of the mount just to keep the torque reaction from lifting up on the front bolt. If the motor is mounted under the frame, the hose clamp should go at the rear of the mount. (I would not use rivet nuts in a Carbon frame...)
- Angle Aluminum. Cut to length, with tongue for the hose clamp. Slot one face for the motor. Drill to match inserts in bike frame. Fab a support strut which extends to bottom of frame. If anyone is interested, I can post my drawing. My motor slots would be correct for this motor, but the bicycle interface would probably need to be modified for individual applications. This could be done with hand tools in a day (coping saw), or maybe have a machine shop do the slots.
- Same as any other build...
I have noticed an Unintended Consequence. I had never planned to go fast uphill, but I'm finding that 350-400 watts and some serious pedaling and I can rip uphill singletracks. This is very addictive!
It rained yesterday here in NorCal, so the air is clear and the Hero Dirt has arrived. I'm off for a Thanksgiving ride!