Going to be putting together my build this weekend. Other than greasing the motor (BBSHD) any other tips before I do so?

AAjax

10 µW
Build is based on a 2013 Trek Cobia https://www.bicyclebluebook.com/SearchListingDetail.aspx?id=3075223 with a BBSHD, lekkie 42t ring and large triangle pack from EM3ev. Have my Mobil 28 in hand and will be greasing the motor after work tomorrow. Using this guide https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqrBRPENKN8 and this guide https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axwKZj6ipjI to get the motor pre-greased before installation. Any other tips or tricks you might recommend before putting her together? Your insight and experience is appreciated.

I built two bikes with the BBSHD in December - for my wife and myself. Easy to do but I did need some spacers to get the motor and chain ring positioned correctly. I got some 2mm spacers from Amazon when I realized I needed them and I bought a chain ring spacer from Luna. Take the time to get the spacing right and you will love the results. I have not greased my motor yet. Not sure that is needed on new units. I have read about this but both of ours are dead quiet at the moment and running smoothly.
I did add brake cutouts on the rear brake only - and since our brakes are hydraulic, I had to get the magnetic sensors. I bought one set and put one on each of our bikes. I did not go with the cutout for shifting. I read about problems with it and I have gotten used to shifting without it. If it were reliable I would probably go with one - at least for my wife's bike.

I did pick up a brake cutout and a gear sensor for the build. Will have to see if the gear sensor is worth the trouble.

Thanks for your reply.

I just opened up my BBSHD after a couple thousand miles as it was running fine and quiet I just wanted to add some grease if needed. I only added the dark grease lithium based on the large gear side. When I opened it up there was a reasonable amount of grease on the gears I added some more and buttoned it back up as the proposed method of getting grease to the white nylon gear apparently requires complete disassembly of the entire motor which is just ridiculous there should be a means of opening a port on the other side and injecting some silicone-based white lithium non-petroleum grease into the area to just add some as it is a huge project to take it all apart just to put some grease in there when I do in the spring I will add a port with a plug on it so it'll stay sealed but then when I pulled the plug I can inject a small amount of extra grease in there if needed it can also serve as an inspection port the trick will be to make the hole big enough to get an inspection camera borescope type and to look and yet still plug up the hole after I haven't decided if I'm going to use a rubber type plug or thread to hole and use a metal plug cap. Perhaps a clear plexiglass inspection plate that is removable

Interesting thoughts, just keep in mind if you add grease then visibility through a window and/or scope may be challenging.

Also thoughts on greasing, I suspect may help to improve the quality of grease, but I also wonder if overgreasing may result in additional friction and so reduced efficiency. I have a friend that has 3 BBSxx and he said he has something crazy like 5 or 10k miles on one and I don't think he messed with the grease, I'll have to ask him.

Back