Modded Sur ron Question

maarkmohamed

100 W
Hey guys, not sure if you guys saw but Luna Cycle released a video showing there modified Sur ron e bike as seen in the following video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gh2AT6Y3UvQ

They said they upgraded the controller, and battery pack. However im just wondering whether they made any modifications to the motor. Do you guys think they upgraded the phase wires to put out that power? As you guys might know im in the process of doing a dirt bike build and im trying to figure out which parts to go with, and if that motor can put out that power then ill definitely be looking to buy it. I did also message luna cycle regarding this but they werent willing to give out any information. I wish they would just tell me that, that would be a easy 650$ from me....

The story is the motor burned up after a while at 32kW. How they got 32kW out of the BAC 8000, I'm not sure, same with the 25R battery, but this is Luna so their numbers can be strange.

Stock phase leads aren't melting at an power level Ive seen. Dirtbikes with extreme power to weight ratios rarely get a high duty cycle %, and this is what enables the system to live. If you're going to road race it, you can have a high enough duty cycle % to overtemp/cook the motor. Motor cooling efforts may get it stable for road racing, but TBD.

Put the effort into the battery if you care about HP. The ASI8000 will basically pull everything you can find a battery that fits in that space to deliver.

Incredibly, 32kW is only half the theoretical power the ASI BAC8000 could deliver, but due to voltage sag its capped by battery.

Three Phase Power Calculation
Three Phase Voltage = 60 V
Current = 800 A, Power Factor = 0.95
Results:
Apparent Power = 83.14 kVA
Active Power = 78.98 kW
Reactive Power = 25.96 kVAr

liveforphysics said:

That explains it, the 32kW is not calculated with battery voltage and amps of that setup.

liveforphysics said:
Stock phase leads aren't melting at an power level Ive seen. Dirtbikes with extreme power to weight ratios rarely get a high duty cycle %, and this is what enables the system to live. If you're going to road race it, you can have a high enough duty cycle % to overtemp/cook the motor. Motor cooling efforts may get it stable for road racing, but TBD.

Put the effort into the battery if you care about HP. The ASI8000 will basically pull everything you can find a battery that fits in that space to deliver.

Incredibly, 32kW is only half the theoretical power the ASI BAC8000 could deliver, but due to voltage sag its capped by battery.

Results:
Apparent Power = 83.14 kVA
Active Power = 78.98 kW
Reactive Power = 25.96 kVAr

Im certainly not doubting the controller. Ive heard many good things about that controller and i might even use that for my build. But the motor is what i was curious about. Your saying due to the power weight ratio it could handle and last a decent amount. Tomm is saying that it burned out, i wonder if anyone else has some inside info on this. Do you guys think those phase wires on the sur ron motor could handle 500+ amps? Heres the pic/ link to it.

https://lunacycle.com/sur-ron-replacement-motor/

Like I mentioned above, continuous road racing overheats it. It still lasted a couple laps of Laguna Seca hanging with much bigger bikes before that motor melted.

im running the 8000 with 72v32ah of 12c multistar lipos and ride it daily, and hard. I only had one issue that Im attributing to heat where the controller was throwing a fault-hall-sensor error and would't spin up until it had cooled. Even for that though, I think it was the controller since I hadn't properly mounted it yet and it was basically encased in Black Gorilla tape. As the bossman said above, the battery will be what you'll need to worry about.

TLDR:
the motor is rock solid, and unless you're pulling long periods of time at 250+ Amps the motor shouldn't be an issue from my experience.

stonezone said:
im running the 8000 with 72v32ah of 12c multistar lipos and ride it daily, and hard. I only had one issue that Im attributing to heat where the controller was throwing a fault-hall-sensor error and would't spin up until it had cooled. Even for that though, I think it was the controller since I hadn't properly mounted it yet and it was basically encased in Black Gorilla tape. As the bossman said above, the battery will be what you'll need to worry about.

TLDR:
the motor is rock solid, and unless you're pulling long periods of time at 250+ Amps the motor shouldn't be an issue from my experience.

How much does a conversion like that cost, and what would it be like with 18650?

stonezone said:

TLDR:

Good to know im officially going with the sur ron motor ill keep you guys updated thank you

Back