RV-160 Pro not running properly.

Titien

10 µW
Hi,

I've been working on converting a Piaggio Ape 50 Tricycle to electric, but I can't get the motor to run without stuttering and making banging noises...

My set up is as follow:
- 72v 70Ah 20s Lithium Battery with 300A "Ant BMS/Smart BMS" with display.
- Revolt RV-160 Pro motor
- Kelly KLS-7275H controller

I originally planned on using Adaptto Max-E controller, which I bought and burned after too many unsuccessful attempts to get the motor spinning. I then got a Kelly KLS-7275H controller.
Now I'm trying with the Kelly and I'm getting similar results: Motor doesn't spin when I apply throttle, it only makes whining noises or, depending on rotor position, makes about a quarter turn and stops violently. The controller gets into "reset error" and applies current to the motor about once every second, until I release the throttle.I've tried Kelly "auto identification" but motor barely moves and make a subtle noise every second. I've also tried all 36 phase/hall combination, without success.
Note that when I was using the Adaptto and running the "auto-detect" I was having "hall error e1".
Hall sensors don't seem to be the problem, as when I turn the motor I read 100>110>010>011>001... I've also tested hall sensors output voltage and supply voltage as this link suggests (http://www.revolt.org.il/how-to-test-the-hall-sensors/). I get either 0v or 5V (when measuring against supply voltage, not ground)

I've tried everything that is in my power, read each and every topic related to my setup, but I can't find a solution.

Here are the controller parameters (Bluetooth android app)
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1djSpoFvBWuvMgZ8uG54dFnfqaXjpJb1wXqHND6hwhgk/edit?usp=sharing

And here is a picture of the Ape 50:
oDWfuZ3.jpg

Thank you !

From what I've read here and there on ES, Revolt motors in general are not of great quality, either in design or build, and may have timing issues with the halls because of the sensor placement. You may still see the correct signal progression on the halls, but their timing relative to the phases may be wrong, and that will prevent a controller from operating the motor correctly (or at all).

One example
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=87305

If you're certain that's not the issue, you could check for phase-to-stator shorts with a multimeter. It's possible that could cause issues running the motor.

If you can disconnect the WYE or Delta termination point inside the motor, you can check for phase to phase shorts (which would definitely cause problems), but there is a risk of damaging the winding insulation around that point during the disconnection and reconnection process (tends to require significant manipulation of the wire there).

Hey,

Thank you for your answer, amberwolf.
I don't really have the tools to properly measure hall signals... And I don't want to open my motor, in case I have to send it back to revolt.

I checked phase to stator continuity, no problem here.

I tried hooking up an other motor, and strangely enough I get the same results. Can't get the auto identification to work, and when I apply throttle, motor makes little noise for a split second and I get the "reset error" on the Kelly and it does that every second or so.

Maybe the controller is defective here, I don't know. Maybe the motor bad hall placement killed my Kelly, as it killed my Adaptto ?

Lots of questions here... If someone ever had a "Reset Error" on their Kelly... let me know.

Thanks !

Ok,

So I've done some measurements with a scope, and here are the results:

I measured between phases on CH1 and between +5v and Hall output on CH2 (I get nothing when I measure between Gnd and Hall output...)

On the last measurement, I think there is something wrong with hall signal.

I had to spin the motor manually, hence the bad shape of the signal. Sorry for that.

OE3L2Qx.jpg

XtPLPYi.jpg

qmr9TUU.jpg

Titien said:
(I get nothing when I measure between Gnd and Hall output...)
That indicates there is a problem with the ground, if you don't get the inverse of the same signal as measuring from signal to 5v.

This could also cause your system to be unable to run the motor correctly.

Back