More ebike questions

s4turn said:
I've also ordered 2 more PAS sensors $4 or something, they have different mounting brackets
https://bmsbattery.com/ebike-kit/705-dual-hall-sensor-12-signals-easy-assembling-pas-ebike-kit.html?search_query=pas&results=67

I have one of those, but it is unclear how to mount it. I assume you just press it onto a crank spindle and then zip tie or otherwise secure the case to the frame/bottom bracket. Not sure if it goes on the chainring side or the non-chainring side.

from the picture in the link it looks like its on the left hand side
dual-hall-sensor-12-signals-easy-assembling-pas-ebike-kit.jpg

wturber said:
s4turn said:
I've also ordered 2 more PAS sensors $4 or something, they have different mounting brackets
https://bmsbattery.com/ebike-kit/705-dual-hall-sensor-12-signals-easy-assembling-pas-ebike-kit.html?search_query=pas&results=67

I have one of those, but it is unclear how to mount it. I assume you just press it onto a crank spindle and then zip tie or otherwise secure the case to the frame/bottom bracket. Not sure if it goes on the chainring side or the non-chainring side.

The second picture shows left side mounting; and this makes it look simple.

Buk___ said:
Doh! Never noticed that picture. But that's pretty much what I imagined, except facing the other way. It it is odd that the cable heads toward the front of the bike and that the body is not secured to the frame. Does orientation matter? If so, then I'd be inclined to put this on the crank side so the cable points back toward my electronics. And if actually installed as shown, the cable is the only thing keeping the body from spinning. Won't that put unnecessary strain on the cable?

I read that if you have a KT-controller with LCD-3 display, the C1 setting is for the PAS sensor. Use 00-02 for 5 magnet disks, and 05-07 for these V12 sensors with 12 magnets.

I also have one of these too. I'm not using it until one of my orange ones fails. I got it to work in test mode. Forgot which way I had to spin it,

wturber said:
Buk___ said:
Doh! Never noticed that picture. But that's pretty much what I imagined, except facing the other way. It it is odd that the cable heads toward the front of the bike and that the body is not secured to the frame. Does orientation matter? If so, then I'd be inclined to put this on the crank side so the cable points back toward my electronics. And if actually installed as shown, the cable is the only thing keeping the body from spinning. Won't that put unnecessary strain on the cable?
It points backwards if you rotate it 180 deg!

It's fixed to the spline of the BB retainer sleeve, so it won't rotate in service, but can be inserted in more or less any position.

d8veh said:
It points backwards if you rotate it 180 deg!

It's fixed to the spline of the BB retainer sleeve, so it won't rotate in service, but can be inserted in more or less any position.

Good point. But I don't understand the point about the retainer sleeve. I started to install one of these just for grins when I replaced my bottom bracket. After pressing it onto the bottom bracket axle I couldn't see how anything was going to retain it. I'll take the crank off tonight and take another look. If still confused, I'll post pictures.

Oh - I was also not impressed by the moderate amount of friction in this device. It doesn't seem to spin very freely. Probably not a big deal, but it just seems wrong not to have that much friction. OTOH, maybe it wears in and spins more freely over time.

wturber said:
Good point. But I don't understand the point about the retainer sleeve.

If you look at the right hand view in the second image from the top
1-66cbd94998.jpg

The flutes on the outer circumference of the central boss push into the stationary part of the BB; and the curly prongs on the inner circumference grip the rotating shaft. Presumably the two (plastic) parts are not connected so prongs rotate the magnets and the flutes hold the body & sensors steady.

Buk___ said:
The flutes on the outer circumference of the central boss push into the stationary part of the BB; and the curly prongs on the inner circumference grip the rotating shaft. Presumably the two (plastic) parts are not connected so prongs rotate the magnets and the flutes hold the body & sensors steady.

Makes perfect sense now. I didn't remember the second set of "prongs" and did not connect your mention of "splines" to the spline pattern that the bottom bracket install/remove tool engage. Sure enough, the second set of plastic prongs line up exactly with the splines on the spline tool and the device fits tightly onto the cup of the bottom bracket.

Thanks!

got my new BMS today, wired it in!

havent taken my bike for a ride yet, suns down :( I need bike lights

but so far battery is still charging!

currently at 51.2v!!
its never charged this high, even when i reset the BMS last time. Use to stop at 47v!

exciting times :D

got the other 2 PAS sensors today too, can take some photos of them if people want
im not entirely sure I will use PAS sensors yet, I will just be stoked to have a working ebike.. after 6 weeks of waiting

s4turn said:
interesting, battery charges to 54v?
is that normal for a 48v battery?

Li-ion/poly 13S (48V) fully charged = 54.6V Practically empty = about 40V

Fit the PAS - it makes the bike so much better. I only use my throttle in exceptional circumstances like today to ride my bike to the doctor to sort out my bad foot. I can't pedal at the moment.

yeah thats the next thing I plan to do

got 3 PAS sensors now, just have to pick the best one :D

the cranks were really easy to fit (got the deore m590's)
Im still waiting for the brakes to come in too (got xt m8000's with 8" rotors for front and back arriving hopefully this week)

took the ebike to work today

the bike is a beast!
was able to sit on 45 km/h on the way home :D
I am peddling a lot too, i find it weird not to

no cut outs or issues (touch wood!)

Back