cable operated hydraulic brakes

Magura rim brakes will definitely give a lever feel that's similar to a hydraulic disc brake, if that's what you're using for the other brake. You can choose from among several pad compounds to match the braking response to your other brake, too.

Chalo said:
Magura rim brakes will definitely give a lever feel that's similar to a hydraulic disc brake, if that's what you're using for the other brake. You can choose from among several pad compounds to match the braking response to your other brake, too.

Curious what you didn't like about the levers, I notice they are offered in 2 finger and 4 finger levers, I'm leaning towards the 4 finger for more lever to grab in a jam.

https://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=40482&gclid=Cj0KCQiAiKrUBRD6ARIsADS2OLluk8krHnGg0px1ugqBTU2TXZC30Thf9HoVQThK5xqloQzxQXEYlFwaAm4lEALw_wcB

Trying to get a price match from universal to chain reaction's price, way cheaper.

Raisedeyebrows said:
Curious what you didn't like about the levers, I notice they are offered in 2 finger and 4 finger levers, I'm leaning towards the 4 finger for more lever to grab in a jam.

At the time I had mine, there was just one kind of lever, long bladed and pretty straight. It looked and felt cheap. I like a long bladed lever, but I didn't like the one on the Magura.

file.php

These look a little bit nicer and less straight than I remember. But I think they're the kind I had.

I can't tell if they changed the lever shape much, going to go ahead and give one a shot and I suppose I could hunt up another hydro lever if I end up not caring for the shape.

Attachments

• IMG_2344.JPG
    IMG_2344.JPG
    15.3 KB · Views: 743
Voltron said:
I'm not sure that really is a wear line.. I had heard it was more of a ventilation channel, much like vented disc rotors.
Ah, well, I didn't know they made those (don't really see the point given the size of the rim as a rotor, unless you're braking all the way down a long hill ;) ).

Must be some reaosn for it, or they wouldn't spend the money doing the process to put them there, though.

But many customers I get seem to barely notice tires worn to the casing, skipping gears, rubbing brakes, or much of anything really... not sure how much a visual wear line is going to make them wonder if their wheel is about to break.

Those are also probalby the same people that drive cars with no oil left in them, until the engine just siezes. And those that run out of gas on the road frequently. ;) Drive on bald tires until they explode on the highway and cause rollover pileups. :( Probably don't cook for themselves either or keep food at home cuz it spoils and they get sick cuz they didn't check before eating it. :p Have to buy new computers frequently because they never clean the dust out and the fans clog up and overheat the system so it dies.

Maintenance? what's that? :roll:

Went to the bike show over the weekend https://www.nahbs.com/ and disc brakes looked to be the big thing this year. Lots of new stuff. Got to feel direct comparisons of many different setups. Cable seems to be being phased out. Nice were the new road hydro levers and new 4 piston mtn bike calipers. I am not trading my old school road setup any time soon, but on the mtn - ebike side, the new levers and calipers are very nice feeling and certainly worth a look. The cable stuff from all of the folks showing felt terrible. I hope they work better than they feel.

I have TRP Spyke brakes with Avid FR5 levers, Jagwire housing and 203mm rotors. They don't feel terrible to me.

Timelord said:
I have TRP Spyke brakes with Avid FR5 levers, Jagwire housing and 203mm rotors. They don't feel terrible to me.

Saw those also and they were very impressive for a total mechanical setup. After mentioning the poor feel of the cable- hydro display units to a few of the reps, they all were blaming "poor adjustments". They were not at all interested in pushing them.

amberwolf said:
Maintenance? what's that? :roll:

The money they still must pay to woman who used to do all that stuff for them; but upped and left one day. :?

Post by craneplaneguy » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:05 am

Well I already ordered a set of these, actually one, https://www.biketiresdirect.com/product ... gZEALw_wcB

Today I installed the Spyre dual caliper mechanical brake, along with the disc that came with it and new Nokon cable and cable housing. On the front wheel, if I like it I'll probably upgrade the rear also, but not it's "special" Rohloff hub required disc. While I had the Montague up on my bench, I took my new big magnifying glass with built in light (messing with the idle jets on the plane the other day, a super tiny hole, decided a good glass was needed in the shop) and went over the entire frame looking for incipient cracks, and it passed.

Then I took it for a ride in my 40 by 40 shop, with two rigs and other stuff inside, so a fairly narrow track. Ice and snow outside, and windy. The test ride went well until the 4 th. circuit around the shop, (not having riden the Mont/Rohloff combo all winter, I had forgotten how much I liked it) when I caught one side of my handle bar on the shop's hose reel, and went down on the concrete floor HARD. Like my other crashes, it being an ebike had nothing to do with it, i didn't even have a battery on board, just carelessness mixed with stupidity. No harm done to me or the bike, and it amused the dog. Not enough of a ride to really test the brake, it felt about the same, but i imagine they have to seat in or something? Mechanically speaking, I just like the idea of both pads moving, not just one.

Back