Denver commuter e-bike

Well, time for troubleshooting, huh?

One simple thing to try is to unplug the Sempu PAS connector - it is powered by the 10V rail of the CA3. Maybe the failed Sempu is dragging down the 10V supply. Unplug it and see if the CA3 comes to life. Pure guesswork, but easy to try.

Assuming that doesn't work, another question: Does the CA3 display backlight come on?

Well, game over I guess, unless you want to open the CA3 and try to troubleshoot/fix it. There are several hints and suggestions for doing that, mostly buried in the long "Cycle Analyst V3 Preview..." thread.

There must be a connection between the Sempu failing and the CA3 doing so a bit later.

Good luck - let us know how it goes.

I’m going to return my commuter to stock human-only powered form. Electric DIY bits have been nothing but a headache. The Sempu ate its wiring, as it must have been moving relative to the BB shell and the 1/2" hole I drilled through it:

Jf3SrKQ.jpg

I've asked ebikes.ca to initiate a return for all that I can, and will go through my credit card company's return protection if they can't accept the 2 commute-old parts.

In 2008 I had more time than money and was willing to put up with Chinese parts' quality. My Crystalyte 407 had a Hall sensor failure, and I think I also had a controller fail along the way. Then I rebuilt the bike with a new controller and a 9C motor... which rusted out within a few seasons.

These days I have many more options, and also have more money than time. Installing parts with cryptic Engrish instructions and troubleshooting setups is not how I wish to spend my evenings. I'm done with that part of the experience.

A sad end to a good project. Take heart. Don't give up! Once you get past this problem, it will be a great bike. This same Sempu BB, bought from Grin a couple months ago is working well for me, and seems like the best torque sensor going right now.

Again, if Grin does not want your broken one back, I'd love to get it to take apart.

I don't think I'm getting anything from Grin for that Sempu, and indeed am going to pursue returning the non-broken items to my credit card company again. So I may be able to send that Sempu to you, FETguy--hang tight while I work through the return.

I voiced my displeasure to Grin via email, too, quoted here for posterity:

<<<<< them

Hey Toshi,

We understand that it can be frustrating setting up a system that is designed to be open ended for versatility. Because these kits are being retro fitted to bicycles it requires additional work than a turn key bike.
There will be hang ups and trouble shooting involved. These are good skills to learn on a ebike because later on down the road it is inevitable parts will wear down and fail. So having the skill set to trouble shoot and resolve the problem on the spot will get you up and running much faster.
http://www.ebikes.ca/shop/support.html

If this is something you are not comfortable with by all means you are welcome to return the products. We can offer full refunds on products that are new and unused. Anything else will be subject to a partial refund.

Let me know if you want to continue with the RMA process.

Regards,

Steven

>>>>> me

Feedback for you guys:

1) I've purchased probably two thousand dollars worth of parts through you in prior years, with a Crystalyte 407 and a 9C build coming to mind. I'm used to things failing, but all this at the second commute in to work is over the top.

2) Your documentation is subpar. The Sempu just came with its straight-from-the-factory info sheet. Since you're selling it to use with your own components it'd be very helpful for buyers to document that they can put in XYZ settings in the CA setup or buy a TTL cable and sync the latest firmware with this preset. This was very unclear. One shouldn't need to search the endless-sphere archives to find setup instructions for a new, packaged product.

3) Rather than spend 2 minutes to look up the Sempu presets (which I found on another forum, posted by an ebikes.ca staff member, with no thanks to you) you referred me to buy an additional product. Basically it was a smug RTFM except the manual didn't exist in the first place: see point 2.

4) I deliberately chose to buy from your outfit for this order based off of my history, and because I want to support the independent product development that Justin has done over the years, the CA first and foremost. For this I acknowledged I'd pay a premium on, say, the battery.

I was fine with this if the product and the service matched the price, but again, see point 3. Perhaps my expectations for level of service have outpaced the reality of how ebikes-turned-Grin has grown, but having a PAS sensor whose instructions say to use a piece of cut up handlebar to install it, yet this installation process causes it to break is an example of said expectations not being met.

Back