I bought an E Bike for my wife but she says its to slow

Brendan1959

1 µW
Hi
This my first post, I had a look around and found no answers.
The Bike has a 250 watt rear hub bafang unit, I bought a programming cable and downloaded the bafang software and it seems to work,
The reading said speed limit by Display command which would not go above 24 KPH so I set it to 30 KPH and write then write flash.
Disconnected then looked at the display speed limit was still 24 KPH, I reconnected then re read the speed limit and it said 30 KPH.
We has laws that say no more than 24KPH so I wonder if the have hard set it to 24KPH.
Anyone had a solution?
Thanks in advance
Brendan

Yea for us US fokes that's 15mph...that is kinda slow. When I'm going 20ish I've got decent bikers on real bikes passing me...

Those geared hub motor can take what? 900w tops? I'd say if you can remove the speed limiter and get upto 20 thatd be your best bet. You'll use substantially more wattage to get to that speed and depending on your battery things will wear out faster.

Brendan1959 said:
The reading said speed limit by Display command which would not go above 24 KPH so I set it to 30 KPH and write then write flash.
Disconnected then looked at the display speed limit was still 24 KPH, I reconnected then re read the speed limit and it said 30 KPH.

Have you tried the bike to see if it provides assistance above 24 kph? This post describes something similar, but if you look about halfway down, someone found their display showed the lower limit, but the bike performed up to the upper limit.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=85918#p1288944

Hehe... "decent bikers on real bikes"... :lol:

Hiya. Canada here... where laws for the "power-assisted bicycle" on roads limit max. motor speed to 32kmh (American cousins say "20 mph". And that's *continuous*... funny lawyers... no mentions yet re peaks... :lol: )

Anyway, being a 21st-century urban sort, have zero problems passing thousands of cars EVery day. So when your Wife Unit says "too slow"... gotta wonder which planet she is from? Tks

Plenty of ebikers are happy with 250W. But...if she wants more power, I say why not?

Hard to say how much power she would be happy with until she takes a test ride. My "go to" answer is a 52V BBSHD with three gears on the rear wheel IGH, or 6-speed mega-range freewheel and derailleur.

That's my favorite combo for general commuting on streets.

I didn't see that you said what kind of bike this is.

I have a couple of Magnum ebikes with Bafang rear hub motors, and a couple of ebikes with Bafang BBSHD mid motors. I can program the mid motors with the app/cable, but I can't program the hub motors that way.

On my hub motor bikes, I'm able to make a number of selections on the display that will change things such as mph/km, tire size, etc. One thing that might work for you (if you can access the display to make changes) is to try changing the tire size parameter to something smaller...that would trick the system by making it think it's going slower than it really is. Of course, the speedometer would then be wrong, but that might be acceptable to your wife if it lets her ride faster.

Hehe... "Plenty of ebikers are happy with 250W. But...if she wants more power, I say why not?"...

I vote for acceleration. In a stop-and-go 21st-century urban world. :mrgreen: (Involves tons of amps...) :lol:

You can also just run higher voltage on the same setup (same controller and same motor).
Acceleration will remain the same, but top speed would increase.
For ballpark estimate, go from 36V to 48V and you speed increases to 133% of the original top speed (around 32 km/h).

I have a small folding 36V ebike with 20 inch wheels. It would top out at 28 km/h. So I upgraded battery from 36V to 52V. Now my top speed is 37 km/h. Acceleration is still slow though, but that's okay for my needs.

See how I did the upgrade here: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=93576

Matador

Well Guys Thanks for the help.
I did not ride the bike after I changed the top speed, just assumed (yes I know what that makes us) that the speed limit on the display was the speed limit.
She Road it to work today and her comment was " Great ride in today it flew" top speed now 30Kph
So it seems the display has a locked speed of 24 KPH but I changed it to the controller at 30KPH and its all good.
Even better that if the display is interrogated by the constabulary it will show speed limited to 24KPH.
Regards
Brendan

That’s great! You know the old saying, “happy wife, less driving you nuts from constant complaining”....hmm. Somehow I recall that’s supposed to rhyme.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thumb throttle
Has anyone connected a thumb throttle to the Bafang rear hub motors I have found one on line but suspect I will need a Y connector to fit it?
Thanks
Brendan

If the kit came with a regular throttle, you just replace it with your thumb throttle (unless you want both, in which case yes you'd use a y-cable).

If it did not come with a throttle, then you would need to find out if it has a throttle input (not all kits do). If it does not, you may not be able to use a throttle at all.

Since 20 mph takes 400-600w depending on conditions, I suspect your setup is only going to hit 30 kph in ideal conditions, no hill, no wind, or even needing some slight downgrade.

Most likely you can hit 500w briefly with that kit, but as motor rpm goes up, its max wattage goes down. So I bet at full gallop you can only do about 300w, and that only gets you 15 mph.

I think your limits are more a matter of laws of physics, than programming per se. Your motor may be wound so that if you hooked it up to unlimited power ( but same voltage) , it would still max out between 25 and 30 kph.

The go faster stuff will be 48v, and sold as 1000w kits, which typically use a 500w rated motor.

Link to the bike I bought her

https://www.99bikes.com.au/xds-e-conic-17in-mint-1

E-Conic.JPG

It did not come with a throttle and I can't see any spare plugs or sockets, however I can see in the software that it seems possible.
Thanks

Brendan

This sounds like it is resolved but if you can change a setting to make it think the hub motor is in a smaller rim, it should give you more rpm before limiting speed.

Most likely that setting change would just spoof the KPH display. not faster, just displaying falsely faster.

If its possible, find out what the controller amps max spec is. if you have 12 amps, at 36v, then 12 x36, 432 watts is your max at start up. Take off 25% by the time you get to full speed and you have about 325 watts left at best.

That goes about 15 mph, the speed you have. If the controller is a 20 amps, then you have some possibility of seeing 20 mph.

Back