Can I replace my charging connectors with crimp on bullets?

General Discussion about electric bicycles.
Post Reply
ClintBX   1 kW

1 kW
Posts: 301
Joined: Mar 06 2014 8:18am

Can I replace my charging connectors with crimp on bullets?

Post by ClintBX » Jul 10 2019 4:39am

Hi ESFMs,

Every so often, I get a flakey charge connector where I end up having to position the cable in just the right way AND make sure it doesn't get bumped while it's charging.

Right now I have this flakey XRL connector but I've had this problem with coaxials and RCA.

Both my soldering skills and my patience are poor. So, I was thinking, can I simplify by just having bullet connectors that I crimp on? Like that, if one flakes, I can just replace it without pulling out the soldering iron and hope that I did a good job.

Can this work? Is it safe?

Clinton

E-HP   1 kW

1 kW
Posts: 457
Joined: Nov 01 2018 9:20pm

Re: Can I replace my charging connectors with crimp on bullets?

Post by E-HP » Jul 10 2019 10:27am

Should be fine as long as you don’t mix up the polarities.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
wturber   1 MW

1 MW
Posts: 1802
Joined: Aug 23 2017 8:52pm
Location: Fountain Hills,AZ
Contact:

Re: Can I replace my charging connectors with crimp on bullets?

Post by wturber » Jul 10 2019 3:27pm

E-HP wrote:
Jul 10 2019 10:27am
Should be fine as long as you don’t mix up the polarities.
Yeah. That's the danger - accidentally mixing up polarities.

That's why I use XT-90 anti-spark. You can get XT90 and XT60 connectors pre-wired. That way you don't have to rely on your soldering skills. Just use a crimp connector to connect to your old wiring.
"Commuter - DC Booster"
Iron Horse 3.0 hardtail - 48V / 1000W / 470rpm generic Chinese DD Hub motor (ebay)
8 x 36v 4.3ah 10s 2P battery packs - 1500W 30A DC Boost Converter delivers 54v and about 1000 watts peak
53T/42T Sakae Road cranks - 30mph+ on flats
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=90369

ClintBX   1 kW

1 kW
Posts: 301
Joined: Mar 06 2014 8:18am

Re: Can I replace my charging connectors with crimp on bullets?

Post by ClintBX » Jul 11 2019 3:21am

wturber wrote:
Jul 10 2019 3:27pm
E-HP wrote:
Jul 10 2019 10:27am
Should be fine as long as you don’t mix up the polarities.
Yeah. That's the danger - accidentally mixing up polarities.

That's why I use XT-90 anti-spark. You can get XT90 and XT60 connectors pre-wired. That way you don't have to rely on your soldering skills. Just use a crimp connector to connect to your old wiring.
Fair point. I can just get some tails. In fact, I just chopped off my XLR connector from a charger that recently died to adapt it to another charger that had a coaxial connector.

I'm not a fan of XT60/90 connector. I find that they get stiff and can be annoying to unplug.

As for the risk of mixing up the poles, I have a trick I use for my discharge connectors. I have one wire with a male connector and the other with the female connector so like that it's impossible to accidentally plug the wrong ones in.

User avatar
dogman dan   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 34885
Joined: May 17 2008 12:53pm
Location: Las Cruces New Mexico USA

Re: Can I replace my charging connectors with crimp on bullets?

Post by dogman dan » Jul 11 2019 6:06am

I have liked andersons for many connectors, but particularly for charger plugs. The housing of the andersons prevents a lot of bending movement at the contact, and I have never, in 11 years of ebiking, had an Anderson plug fray strand by strand leaving you with bad contact, if not the wire disconnected entirely. So I like andersons for plugs you plug and unplug over and over a lot.

I've definitely swapped polarity, and killed chargers. So put the plug on, and then check again with voltmeter before use. :oops: Andersons can be set up in a pair, and after that you can't plug them in wrong. Just confirm polarity after you connect them. Make sure you don't put the red housing on the black wire I mean.

User avatar
MadRhino   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 5777
Joined: Sep 03 2010 5:28pm
Location: Montreal QC Canada

Re: Can I replace my charging connectors with crimp on bullets?

Post by MadRhino » Jul 11 2019 6:25am

Crimping is best, when you have the right crimping tool and know how to use it.
Make it fool-proof, and I will make a better fool.
Current bikes
Street: https://s20.postimg.org/ewrvugywt/Session_04_2015.jpg
Dirt: https://s20.postimg.org/lbqwr55ml/IMG_0157.jpg

User avatar
wturber   1 MW

1 MW
Posts: 1802
Joined: Aug 23 2017 8:52pm
Location: Fountain Hills,AZ
Contact:

Re: Can I replace my charging connectors with crimp on bullets?

Post by wturber » Jul 11 2019 8:51am

ClintBX wrote:
Jul 11 2019 3:21am


I'm not a fan of XT60/90 connector. I find that they get stiff and can be annoying to unplug.

As for the risk of mixing up the poles, I have a trick I use for my discharge connectors. I have one wire with a male connector and the other with the female connector so like that it's impossible to accidentally plug the wrong ones in.
I use the XT90 as my main plug because I could get it with with an anti-spark feature and it can be oriented to source and load by using plug gender. I want both gender and polarity because my system is highly modular and I like to avoid problems up front as much is practical. I don't have problems with them getting stiff. But pick any plug you want so long as the connection has foolproof polarity - as your reversed gender approach would.
"Commuter - DC Booster"
Iron Horse 3.0 hardtail - 48V / 1000W / 470rpm generic Chinese DD Hub motor (ebay)
8 x 36v 4.3ah 10s 2P battery packs - 1500W 30A DC Boost Converter delivers 54v and about 1000 watts peak
53T/42T Sakae Road cranks - 30mph+ on flats
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=90369

ClintBX   1 kW

1 kW
Posts: 301
Joined: Mar 06 2014 8:18am

Re: Can I replace my charging connectors with crimp on bullets?

Post by ClintBX » Jul 12 2019 3:22am

dogman dan wrote:
Jul 11 2019 6:06am
I have liked andersons for many connectors, but particularly for charger plugs. The housing of the andersons prevents a lot of bending movement at the contact, and I have never, in 11 years of ebiking, had an Anderson plug fray strand by strand leaving you with bad contact, if not the wire disconnected entirely. So I like andersons for plugs you plug and unplug over and over a lot.

I've definitely swapped polarity, and killed chargers. So put the plug on, and then check again with voltmeter before use. :oops: Andersons can be set up in a pair, and after that you can't plug them in wrong. Just confirm polarity after you connect them. Make sure you don't put the red housing on the black wire I mean.
I assume your talking about the smaller power poles and not the big bulky ones that have the pair within one casing.

For charging needs, this could fine. For discharge connectors, I've had them pitting on me and the contact plates no longer meeting. I've always found Anderson power poles to be ambiguous. When they start failing, you can't see for sure where or how they fail because of the casing. And on some occasions, I've had the plastic connectors fuse together. But I guess there's no chance of that for charging purposes.

User avatar
ddk   1 MW

1 MW
Posts: 1876
Joined: Nov 04 2011 5:37pm

Re: Can I replace my charging connectors with crimp on bullets?

Post by ddk » Jul 12 2019 5:42am

Did you mean: XLR connector?
I use NL4 connectors whose chassis connector is the same size as a female XLR chassis connector.
It has four connections that wipe on and off and I've yet to have a failure in the 8 years I've been exclusively using them for battery charge/discharge connections, limited to max 30A controllers.
The chassis connector uses crimped 0.163 QC connections and the cable connector uses screw-tightened capture types that are supposedly able to take 10awg cable, but I use dual 12awg instead (easier)
notice: no soldering needed.
"How can we play Hot Wheels without lighter fluid? " -Serge

AHicks   100 W

100 W
Posts: 110
Joined: Jul 24 2018 10:53am

Re: Can I replace my charging connectors with crimp on bullets?

Post by AHicks » Jul 12 2019 6:57am

Regarding the sticky XT connectors, a LITTLE silicone grease makes them work pretty nicely.

ClintBX   1 kW

1 kW
Posts: 301
Joined: Mar 06 2014 8:18am

Re: Can I replace my charging connectors with crimp on bullets?

Post by ClintBX » Jul 12 2019 7:46am

ddk wrote:
Jul 12 2019 5:42am
Did you mean: XLR connector?
I use NL4 connectors whose chassis connector is the same size as a female XLR chassis connector.
It has four connections that wipe on and off and I've yet to have a failure in the 8 years I've been exclusively using them for battery charge/discharge connections, limited to max 30A controllers.
The chassis connector uses crimped 0.163 QC connections and the cable connector uses screw-tightened capture types that are supposedly able to take 10awg cable, but I use dual 12awg instead (easier)
notice: no soldering needed.
Is this the connector your talking about? Charge AND discharge you say?
Attachments
images.jpg
images.jpg (17.95 KiB) Viewed 87 times

User avatar
ddk   1 MW

1 MW
Posts: 1876
Joined: Nov 04 2011 5:37pm

Re: Can I replace my charging connectors with crimp on bullets?

Post by ddk » Jul 12 2019 1:30pm

yer google-foo is strong, grasshopper
china speakon f side.jpg
china speakon f side.jpg (43.48 KiB) Viewed 67 times
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=41572&start=100 is where I tested all the fakes, or other manufacturers I could find at the time. Only one failed (and it wasn't the cheapest) Failed one disappeared from the planet...

I don't use BMS in my battery packs (for reasons) so the discharge connector is also the 'bulk' charge connection.
...however, I've changed all my power connections to NL4F so everything's somewhat compatible (not really) but mainly because it's near impossible to plug a connection wrong way in/out, unlike most connectors where one can temporarily force things the wrong way (bang and light show free of charge)
"How can we play Hot Wheels without lighter fluid? " -Serge

User avatar
MadRhino   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 5777
Joined: Sep 03 2010 5:28pm
Location: Montreal QC Canada

Re: Can I replace my charging connectors with crimp on bullets?

Post by MadRhino » Jul 12 2019 3:01pm

ClintBX wrote:
Jul 12 2019 3:22am
dogman dan wrote:
Jul 11 2019 6:06am
I have liked andersons for many connectors, but particularly for charger plugs. The housing of the andersons prevents a lot of bending movement at the contact, and I have never, in 11 years of ebiking, had an Anderson plug fray strand by strand leaving you with bad contact, if not the wire disconnected entirely. So I like andersons for plugs you plug and unplug over and over a lot.

I've definitely swapped polarity, and killed chargers. So put the plug on, and then check again with voltmeter before use. :oops: Andersons can be set up in a pair, and after that you can't plug them in wrong. Just confirm polarity after you connect them. Make sure you don't put the red housing on the black wire I mean.
I assume your talking about the smaller power poles and not the big bulky ones that have the pair within one casing.

For charging needs, this could fine. For discharge connectors, I've had them pitting on me and the contact plates no longer meeting. I've always found Anderson power poles to be ambiguous. When they start failing, you can't see for sure where or how they fail because of the casing. And on some occasions, I've had the plastic connectors fuse together. But I guess there's no chance of that for charging purposes.
I like Anderson powerpoles from 75G and up. Genuine Andersons connectors and housings, important because there is a lot of Chinese copies on the market. Here is the real one, note the shape and embossed marks:

Image
Make it fool-proof, and I will make a better fool.
Current bikes
Street: https://s20.postimg.org/ewrvugywt/Session_04_2015.jpg
Dirt: https://s20.postimg.org/lbqwr55ml/IMG_0157.jpg

User avatar
spinningmagnets   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 11073
Joined: Dec 21 2007 10:27pm
Location: Ft Riley, NE Kansas

Re: Can I replace my charging connectors with crimp on bullets?

Post by spinningmagnets » Jul 12 2019 3:06pm

The genuine Anderson's have contacts made from silver-plated copper, with the pressure coming from a stainless steel leaf spring.

The clones are often found to be zinc-plated aluminum, and the leaf springs rust...

Post Reply