Luna Wolf Battery mount mod

EL34

100 mW
I 3D printed several battery supports to give the Luna Wolf battery a better footprint on the Fat Bike carbon frame.
I did not trust the two aluminum water bottle mounts on the carbon frame.
The battery now has 5 support areas that follow the radius of the carbon frame

Check out the YouTube video here

[youtube]0g7TpOSn11U[/youtube]

fechter said:
That's a great application for 3D printing. There are so many different frame shapes.

yeah, the tough part is that the frame tube radius changes from top to bottom
So even a one inch wide segment is wider at the bottom then at the top of that segment

Taping a piece of sand paper to the frame lets you dial in the exact shape once you get it close enough

That's a great idea. I just found the wolf mount to be amazingly trustworthy. But I did have an tiny bit of initial problem. In my case, I was mounting it on a wooden rear deck. The flange on the battery is a bit long, and that meant that on the first try, the magnet was not fully contacting the bottom of the pack.

this meant that the mount was a bit weak, and I ran with a bungee to back it up. Next ride, I noticed the marks on the wood deck, and remounted the magnet with a quarter inch of shim under it.

This time, it stuck down hard. I went and tested it on a bike path notorious for the big bumps. Not a wiggle, let along letting it fly off the bike.

Might still want to use the back up strap that comes with it for off road. But that magnet mount is STRONG.

I had an issue on this carbon bike where the Wolf battery was sliding down the tube until it hit the seat tube.
This happened twice on a very bumpy gravel road descent.

That never happened on that red mongoose I show in this video.

So the two 3D printed blocks up above the top magnet also keep the battery from sliding down ward.

Must be because the carbon frame has a more extreme down ward tube angle than the red did?
Even though the magnets are really strong, the intense vibration and the frame angle let it slide down ward slowly.
Could also be because the metal plate on the battery is covered with a this layer of the clear potting material
The potting material is a bit shiny and slick.

I did 28 miles on it yesterday on the same roads and the battery was perfect.

Back