Ebike vs Escooter

General Discussion about electric bicycles.
Post Reply
georgefromvt   1 kW

1 kW
Posts: 343
Joined: Jun 25 2010 8:05pm

Ebike vs Escooter

Post by georgefromvt » May 12 2019 8:51pm

Ebike vs Escooter. I'm an ebiker with 10 years on the road, logging about 2000 miles a season. Escooters have been making news lately, generating considerable buzz. I decided to give Escooters a try. I purchased the Speedway IV from EWheels, company boasts good customer service and stocks parts. I'm 200 lbs and live in hilly Vermont, so needed a powerful escooter with plenty of torque and range. It's 52 volts, 600 watts (peak 1200) and 26 amps. The Speedway cost about 1500, same price as my Radcity. I own the Radcity by RADPOWER and Newport by ELUX. Ride: The Escooter is surprisingly fast and agile, hitting easily 25 mph. My ebikes are limited to 20 mph. Safety: Almost have a 100 miles on my Escooter, no accidents yet. Ebikes, better visibility than a Escooter. I only ride my escooter on designated bike lanes, won't ride it in traffic or the open road. Repairs: My local bike shop has no issues with my ebike but haven't asked them about my escooter. Portability: No bike rake needed for an escooter, it easily fits in my back seat. The Escooter is a blast and I'm looking forward to an interesting summer.
https://www.governing.com/columns/trans ... -bird.html
https://www.radpowerbikes.com/products/ ... muter-bike
https://www.ewheels.com/product/new-speedway-iv-pro/
20190413_183004.jpg
Radcity.jpg
Elux.png
Elux.png (186.22 KiB) Viewed 585 times

donn   1 kW

1 kW
Posts: 393
Joined: Aug 13 2018 10:30am
Location: Seattle

Re: Ebike vs Escooter

Post by donn » May 12 2019 10:19pm

I'd be interested to hear how your practice emergency stops go. I mean, you get it up to full steam and see how fast you can stop, so you have some idea what's coming when you have to do it in an emergency. It seems to me the physics would be somewhat different from a bicycle. The mayor here just announced that we're supposed to start allowing rental outfits to run these things on the streets here, so we're all interested to know how that's going to pan out.

Electric Earth   1 W

1 W
Posts: 61
Joined: Nov 11 2018 8:02pm

Re: Ebike vs Escooter

Post by Electric Earth » May 13 2019 4:19am

How does it handle? Have you ridden any of the Lime type rentals? I tried a Lime once. I can only describe it as sketchy and exciting, but not in a good way. It's certainly nothing like the scooters I rode as a kid. The steering was really twitchy and the thing was really jarring when hitting bumps. I can't imagine going 25mph on one. :shock: Yours looks similar, but I'm assuming handles much better. If you've ridden a Lime or similar, I'd be curious to hear your comparison. I've thought about getting one too(before riding the Lime). Maybe they just have sketchy scooters? What kind of mileage are you getting on a full battery charge?

User avatar
dogman dan   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 34964
Joined: May 17 2008 12:53pm
Location: Las Cruces New Mexico USA

Re: Ebike vs Escooter

Post by dogman dan » May 13 2019 6:55am

Pick the best tool for each job I always say. Along with you can never have too many tools.

But yeah, why not unless cost is the deterrent? For some things, ideal to pop in in the trunk of any car however small, and have some wheels wherever you go. Sure, the bike would work too, but it may just be more convenient, or even better, like up a very steep hill. That tiny wheel will shine on a steep hill. But not if a road with bad potholes.

Ride whatever works best, for the job at hand. That includes pedal only bikes, or big ass motorcycles. A scoot like that could be perfect in an urban environment. Park your car at the casino in vegas, then cruise the strip on the scoot. Much better than parking at each place you want to see.


A really small scoot that has a battery that could fly would be one nice tool to have sometimes. Something that runs on two laptop batteries or one drill battery.

georgefromvt   1 kW

1 kW
Posts: 343
Joined: Jun 25 2010 8:05pm

Re: Ebike vs Escooter

Post by georgefromvt » May 13 2019 7:07pm

donn wrote:
May 12 2019 10:19pm
I'd be interested to hear how your practice emergency stops go. I mean, you get it up to full steam and see how fast you can stop, so you have some idea what's coming when you have to do it in an emergency. It seems to me the physics would be somewhat different from a bicycle. The mayor here just announced that we're supposed to start allowing rental outfits to run these things on the streets here, so we're all interested to know how that's going to pan out.

You're right, physics plays a big role with stopping. My ebikes are about 72 inches long, the escooter is 48 inches long, so stopping is very different. But compared to most escooters especially the rental share ones, the Speedway is larger and wider. The first couple of runs I kept the speed low and turned off the regen braking. With more experience, I'm now comfortable with speed and activated the regen braking.
es program.jpg
es program.jpg (79.4 KiB) Viewed 485 times

georgefromvt   1 kW

1 kW
Posts: 343
Joined: Jun 25 2010 8:05pm

Re: Ebike vs Escooter

Post by georgefromvt » May 13 2019 7:17pm

Electric Earth wrote:
May 13 2019 4:19am
How does it handle? Have you ridden any of the Lime type rentals? I tried a Lime once. I can only describe it as sketchy and exciting, but not in a good way. It's certainly nothing like the scooters I rode as a kid. The steering was really twitchy and the thing was really jarring when hitting bumps. I can't imagine going 25mph on one. :shock: Yours looks similar, but I'm assuming handles much better. If you've ridden a Lime or similar, I'd be curious to hear your comparison. I've thought about getting one too(before riding the Lime). Maybe they just have sketchy scooters? What kind of mileage are you getting on a full battery charge?
The Speedway is very smooth, responsive and agile. Start Speed, Start mode, Electric braking and cruise control are easily programmed. The Speedway has large 10" pneumatic wheels and adjustable front and rear hydraulic suspension. It's very smooth running. I picked the Speedway because of it's size, I'm 200 lbs and 5'10" so need longer & wider riding deck. Mileage is excellent, recently took a 18 mile trip, power meter dropped from 98% to 80%. Battery is 52 volt and 1331 wh. The downside of a large powerful escooter is weight. It easily slide into my back seat but weighs a hefty 55 lbs.
escooter.jpg
escooter.jpg (170.34 KiB) Viewed 483 times

georgefromvt   1 kW

1 kW
Posts: 343
Joined: Jun 25 2010 8:05pm

Re: Ebike vs Escooter

Post by georgefromvt » May 13 2019 7:32pm

dogman dan wrote:
May 13 2019 6:55am
Pick the best tool for each job I always say. Along with you can never have too many tools.

But yeah, why not unless cost is the deterrent? For some things, ideal to pop in in the trunk of any car however small, and have some wheels wherever you go. Sure, the bike would work too, but it may just be more convenient, or even better, like up a very steep hill. That tiny wheel will shine on a steep hill. But not if a road with bad potholes.

Ride whatever works best, for the job at hand. That includes pedal only bikes, or big ass motorcycles. A scoot like that could be perfect in an urban environment. Park your car at the casino in vegas, then cruise the strip on the scoot. Much better than parking at each place you want to see.


A really small scoot that has a battery that could fly would be one nice tool to have sometimes. Something that runs on two laptop batteries or one drill battery.
I'm really enjoying my escooter. And it fits nicely in my back seat, I'll take it on vacation. I love my ebikes but the scooter is portable.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AcxFSuu8E0

georgefromvt   1 kW

1 kW
Posts: 343
Joined: Jun 25 2010 8:05pm

Re: Ebike vs Escooter

Post by georgefromvt » Jun 02 2019 8:24pm

150 miles and still going strong. I'm thoroughly enjoying my escooter. It's no replacement for my ebike but really getting a kick out of it. Today, round trip ride from Northampton to Amherst then buzzed around town; roughly a 20 mile trip, average speed about 20 mph and used about 20% of the battery. My escooter will never replace my ebike but really enjoying the ride. Plus side of the escooter, it's easier on my back and appreciate it's portability. Escooter easily fits in my back seat and secured with looping the seat belt around the kickstand.
https://www.ewheels.com/product/new-speedway-iv-pro/
Escooter june 2019.jpg
Escooter
Escooter june 2019.jpg (304.87 KiB) Viewed 360 times
20190609_203702.jpg
150 Miles

Post Reply