Is it worth it?

General Discussion about electric bicycles.
Post Reply
ebike11   100 kW

100 kW
Posts: 1107
Joined: Nov 16 2013 8:01pm
Location: Korea

Is it worth it?

Post by ebike11 » May 20 2019 8:12pm

Was wondering if I could get your opinions.
I have a standard 26inch MTB with standard dropouts. The biggest motor for 135mm dropouts that I could find is the MXUS 3000 that will fit with a single freewheel. Thats what Im running at the moment and its the 3T version. It works and runs fine. Hitting good speeds but as you know, the top speed is never enough. I increased voltage and swapped controllers but its getting harder and harder to go faster.
Could a 24" wheel with the same motor give me a bump up in top speed? Would it be worth the money for 2 inches of less diameter?
I know many would say get a frame that can use hige wide motors but at the moment i wanna keep this bike so i want to have the biggest motor that can fit in a 135mm dropout. Im not aware of a bigger motor for 135mm but there may be. Im still looking around.
Thanks!

RunForTheHills   100 W

100 W
Posts: 128
Joined: Feb 19 2019 2:41pm
Location: California

Re: Is it worth it?

Post by RunForTheHills » May 20 2019 8:50pm

A smaller wheel would give you less speed and more torque. You would need a larger diameter wheel for more speed if the frame could take one.

flat tire   1 MW

1 MW
Posts: 1505
Joined: Feb 26 2014 12:20am

Re: Is it worth it?

Post by flat tire » May 20 2019 8:54pm

Higher voltage and or phase weakening will work up to 60 or 70 but to go faster than that without unusual aero you'll need over 10KW which is probably pushing thing with that hub.

Also why would you post this and not mention critical information such as your battery, the controllers you have and their settings, and oh, I don't know, things like HOW FAST YOU'RE GOING and HOW FAST YOU WANT TO GO. Yeah. Those last 2 especially might be good to include...

ebike11   100 kW

100 kW
Posts: 1107
Joined: Nov 16 2013 8:01pm
Location: Korea

Re: Is it worth it?

Post by ebike11 » May 20 2019 9:27pm

RunForTheHills wrote:
May 20 2019 8:50pm
A smaller wheel would give you less speed and more torque. You would need a larger diameter wheel for more speed if the frame could take one.
Oh I was thinking i would get more top speed...my bad

ebike11   100 kW

100 kW
Posts: 1107
Joined: Nov 16 2013 8:01pm
Location: Korea

Re: Is it worth it?

Post by ebike11 » May 20 2019 9:30pm

flat tire wrote:
May 20 2019 8:54pm
Higher voltage and or phase weakening will work up to 60 or 70 but to go faster than that without unusual aero you'll need over 10KW which is probably pushing thing with that hub.

Also why would you post this and not mention critical information such as your battery, the controllers you have and their settings, and oh, I don't know, things like HOW FAST YOU'RE GOING and HOW FAST YOU WANT TO GO. Yeah. Those last 2 especially might be good to include...
Oh im running 96V
I just bought a sabvoton 72200 so Im hoping to hit 90kph. I know thats a high goal. I can hit 60 to 80 fairly easy. Im just curious if I can get any higher. I seen a youtube vid where they got over 100kph with the MXUS 3T on only 72v. I dont know how they could get it to that speed on just 72v

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlCOdz6Wb-4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqA1yn2qxz8

User avatar
dogman dan   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 34929
Joined: May 17 2008 12:53pm
Location: Las Cruces New Mexico USA

Re: Is it worth it?

Post by dogman dan » May 21 2019 6:46am

Get a motorcycle to go that fast. Or at least, if you have not already, start running motorcycle/moped tires and rims.

Its not that I dont get it. I do. That bike is very light, and feels different than a heavier motorcycle.

Its that you can ride much funner with a motorcycle that goes 90 mph, having confidence in its tires, brakes, ability to go fast without speed wobble. And, when you do lay that thing down going 60 mph, insurance is a good thing to have.

And in fact, once you get to 60 mph ballpark, the motorcycle is cheaper.. Much much cheaper to operate. The only way you are going faster is to get out the welder, and put bigger motors on it. See John in CR's bikes, you need a new rear end, or at least the swing arm, on your bike. You need more length to go that fast too. And then you will pay a crapton to double your battery, so you can go farther than around the block with that thing. All costing lots of money, which could easily just buy a used crotch rocket. Look into a 300 cc yamaha or something like it.

ebike11   100 kW

100 kW
Posts: 1107
Joined: Nov 16 2013 8:01pm
Location: Korea

Re: Is it worth it?

Post by ebike11 » May 21 2019 7:12am

dogman dan wrote:
May 21 2019 6:46am
Get a motorcycle to go that fast. Or at least, if you have not already, start running motorcycle/moped tires and rims.

Its not that I dont get it. I do. That bike is very light, and feels different than a heavier motorcycle.

Its that you can ride much funner with a motorcycle that goes 90 mph, having confidence in its tires, brakes, ability to go fast without speed wobble. And, when you do lay that thing down going 60 mph, insurance is a good thing to have.

And in fact, once you get to 60 mph ballpark, the motorcycle is cheaper.. Much much cheaper to operate. The only way you are going faster is to get out the welder, and put bigger motors on it. See John in CR's bikes, you need a new rear end, or at least the swing arm, on your bike. You need more length to go that fast too. And then you will pay a crapton to double your battery, so you can go farther than around the block with that thing. All costing lots of money, which could easily just buy a used crotch rocket. Look into a 300 cc yamaha or something like it.
Ah...sorry I meant KPH not MPH. Im hoping to hit 60 lol.
60 to 65MPH is my goal at the moment

User avatar
Drunkskunk   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 7159
Joined: Apr 14 2007 11:37am
Location: Dallas, Texas. U.S.A.

Re: Is it worth it?

Post by Drunkskunk » May 21 2019 10:19am

That motor should be capable of 90kph at your voltage. The thing to do now is find out what is holding it back.

What's the unladen wheel speed at full throttle?
How much voltage sag are you getting at full load?
What's your bike setup like?
Buy the ticket, take the ride.
Monster Bike:http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewto ... =6&t=38667

User avatar
E-HP   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 565
Joined: Nov 01 2018 9:20pm

Re: Is it worth it?

Post by E-HP » May 21 2019 10:57am

Drunkskunk wrote:That motor should be capable of 90kph at your voltage. The thing to do now is find out what is holding it back.

What's your bike setup like?
You can get a lot more speed from better aerodynamics than with power at higher speeds. Each mph increase takes a much larger increase in power, exponentially.

Add a fairing:
https://canadamotoguide.com/2016/05/04/ ... odynamics/
"at a mere 100 km/h, 80% of a motorcycle’s energy is spent just overcoming air resistance."

On one of my full faired bikes, I could hit about 155 mph sitting in a normal crouch, but I could eek out 160+ just tucking my helmet down a few more inches to get behind the wind screen. 5mph isn’t much, but the HP it would take to do the same would be much more, proportionally.

https://www.bikeradar.com/features/coul ... ng-out-on/
https://www.notechmagazine.com/2013/04/ ... iring.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grIrKpWauS0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Reply