I've been and EV owner for years, and with the surge in popularity comes lack of convenient close charger availability at times. I'm finding myself commuting from the multi-charging station to my building, more and more. An ebike would be perfect for the task. My ebike commute would be really no more than 2 miles per day round trip, so range dictates the number of times per month I need to bring the battery home to charge.
My car is a small compact (Leaf), but the bike would not be transported much and remain on campus. Also, I'm a tall guy at 6'3" 230lbs, so a compact bike will not be practical in terms of comfort. I'm just not having a lot of luck finding a large frame used donor.
To summarize my ebike needs:
- Short distances, maybe 10-20 miles to reduce frequency of charging. Will tote battery home to charge.
- Donor needs to support my size and height, 6'3" 230lbs.
- No real requirements in regards to speed, maybe 15-25mph. This is about convenience really.
- No hills on my commute, just what you would expect on varying surface streets.
- Trying to keep under a $700 budget.
I have found some bargain steel frame donors on CL such as this: https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/bik/d/ ... 73224.html
I figure for $40, I can replace any parts that may need service and still keep it a budget build. The 20" frame does concern me though as being too small for my size.
Not opposed to buying a new donor and doing the conversion, if that's more cost effective than trying to find a 22" used donor.
Any advice appreciated. Thanks.