Cycle Analyst V2.3 Issue

Hurly64

10 mW
I have a Trail Viper that was modded with a Lyen controller and a Cycle Analyst V2.3. (Craneplaneguy's old bike) I had a weird issue with it last week. The CA was measuring 10,000 watts when the bike was at rest, and was also measuring an increase in amp hour usage ,also while at rest. The throttle would sometimes work when this happened, sometimes not, but when it did, it felt like assist level 1. And to be clear, 10,000 watts of power on this bike is physically impossible with the 48V 30 amp battery. My first thought was a short somewhere. After testing the motor, and hunting for a short circuit with a multimeter, I came up with nothing. Then I unplugged the CA connector from the controller, cleaned up the contacts a little, plugged it back in, and the problem sees to have resolved itself. (for the time being).
I thought the V2 CA was just a data reader? My understanding is that a V2 CA does not supply the bike with any functionality other than providing information on the system and battery usage? How could a short in the CA disable the bike?

my 2.3 was cutting off power to motor at 20km/h, I pulled over to wiggle and look at wires, everything looked fine so I scrolled through the analyst and my top speed registered was 76km/h, I hadn't been upto 76. I reset the CA and unplugged the battery for 5min. plugged it in rode about 15km home no issues. in the morning the motor shuddered. I had a short in the axle wire when the motor cable flexed a certain way

Usually what you saw is caused by a poor connection from the CA to the shunt. This can be at the contact pins, or the crimps of the wires, so your repair probably fixed it.

If you unplug the connector, dip both ends into dielectric grease, mush it into the housing, then plug them back in, it will keep water from getting in and corroding it, which is likely what caused the original issue.

The throttle problem, if it didn't go away at the same time, could be a similar issue at the throttle connector.

The v2.x controllers *do* have some control ability, if the throttle-control line is connected inside the controller from the CA connector. All it can do is suppress the throttle signal, not output it's own, but it coudl still disable throttle if the current or power the CA thought it saw was higher than it's limiting setup.

Thank you for your responses, fellow sphere inhabitants. I will wiggle the cable going into the motor and see if the problem replicates. I will also pick up some dialectic grease. There is no end to the fog, salt air, and sand that my bike is subjected to daily. Have a nice day!

Can you just unplug the CA and see if the issues persist? If they do, then it must be something other than the CA.

Back