Adding electric assist to Babboe Curve cargo bike

JayLonghorn

1 µW
Hi! I’d love to get advice from the knowledgeable folks here! We have just acquired a Babboe Curve cargo bike. We are loving it so far! We are using it for short trips but would like to go longer distances. So at some point, I’d like to add electric assist.

A few details about the bike:
Tire size: Schwalbe Big Apple 26 inch rear wheel, 20 inch front wheel.
Gears: Shimano Nexus 7-speed internal gear hub
Bike details: https://www.babboecargobike.com/cargo-bikes/curve

I read some comments in another group about Bafang mid drive not being suitable for this bike. I was told I could put the smaller BBS01 or BBS02 Bafangs but I’d need to remove part of the support brace that runs under the frame (notching it) so not ideal.

The Pendix system was recommended as the easiest install on my bike with the longer battery cable version to mount the battery on the steering column. However, they don’t sell to consumers directly and there are no dealers in California.

Has anyone tried installing an after market electric assist on this bike? I am assuming another option would be to remove the internal gear hub and get a hub motor with derailleur. Or I could install two smaller hub motors on front wheels.

Would love to hear if you have experience with this or similar bike!

3843835F-F4FF-4BC5-8D3C-B5C17DC15838.jpeg
440A9605-9249-4E56-A93F-DB167263E39D.jpeg
E26303D6-42F1-47B4-944A-5555FC2E28DF.jpeg

Hi Jay,

I am wanting to add a BBS02 to the curve. Can you share any more information about the modification to the frame you mentioned?

Or indeed what you eventually did ?

Thanks,

Paul

Put a 1,500 watt rear D.D. or bigger 3,000 Watt motor with 3sp switch type controller as lease 20ah or more of quality cells @ 52v or more. How much wieght and hills the important parts. Where do you want the battery. Make a cardboard box that size and where for the controller ? Good idea where and how you're going to fit things. Of course you're going to have to hang up the Nexus 7 speed in the garage.
How much money you got ?

Nice, I have seen ice cream vendors using cargo bikes like this,

The rear wheel looks like a a custom spindle [right term?

Can you post closeup pics of the rear, not sure if you can switch it out with a motorized hub wheel lke a voilamart off ebay.

I don't see one of the basic mid drives working as I don't think there's any room for it. Well a 3000 watt mxus with 52 volts.
My dad used a belt also he was a Gemini we never knew which one you're going to get .

Did you go forward with this?

I have the same bike and want to put a tsdz2 og bbshd on it. Looks like it should fit if the "flat" support piece under the frame is cut a few inches shorter.

Back