Cyclone 4kw

markz

100 TW
I have an old (?2-3? yrs old) Cyclone 4kw that I used for a few months then stored and went back to using my MXUS 3kw direct drive hub motors.

I cant seem to find the long bolts that clamp together the gear reduction to the motor.
A) Does anyone know the thread and length?
B) Are they all the same length?
C) What would be a fix, threaded rod? I will be msg'ing Luna to see if they have any spares.

Next up is I thought I took something off the motor freewheel, but it looks like everything is there.
A) Should the tiny "bolt" that holds the freewheel on be that tiny or did I snap it somehow?
B) How hard should it be to put the freewheel back onto the shaft? Use anti-cease or use grease?
I used a puller to get it off, notice the gap in the picture. Maybe the tiny bolt wasnt tight enough and slide the fw out. I dunno, its been so long.

I see Luna sells a 13T and a 14T freewheel for the motor. The one I have is a 14T.
Installing the 13T would get me what? More speed but less torque ----or---- slower speed but more torque. Given same everything.

20190804_133454.jpg

20190804_134503.jpg

20190804_133512.jpg

View attachment 2

20190804_135355.jpg

That looks like the 4kw motor, not a 3kw one, the specs on it say so. The 4kw motor can take at least 6kw peak with 72v, but cyclones in general are not great shedding built up heat.
Not sure about the thread but you could try some bolt sizes into the bottom holes, then order the long versions. Afaik the bolts don't go through the whole motor. There is a set that keeps the gearbox on, and another set that keep the backplate on.
A sprocket with less teeth would give you more torque and lower top speed. Also a bit more chain/sprocket wear and noise.

Yeah its 4kw cyclone, I am used to my 3kw mxus.
----
When it states CCW or CW for the freewheel, is that the way the freewheel moves, or when its engages.
The stock 14T freewheels CW, but engages and spins the motor CCW.

http://www.cyclone-tw.com/Parts.html
Has a 13T and a 14T in CW, a double geared freewheel one-way bearing, 14T CCW.

I put in some Mystik High-Temperature Grease
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mystik-high-temperature-grease-0280860p.html#srp

The grease that was in there did not look very substantial at all. I globbed all the gears with a generous amount.

The crank freewheel moves a hair. Upgrade to Cyclones HD crank freewheel may improve things. Or Sickbikeparts has one, as well as Luna Cycle has a HD option too, or the expensive option ???White Industries???

44T/44T crank

Crank sprocket bolts have seized.

c4k.jpg

You could do what this guy did and forget the whole gearbox. I have a similar setup with the coaxial, single stage is fine on the 4kw.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=69867&p=1490202#p1490193

The internal gearbox is 6:1 (I have only gearbox). Without gearbox and 72/11= 6.5 (he has only chain). The 4kw motor will net you about 35mph and loads of torque with 8-9x total reduction, for offroad 30mph and 10x reduction is well enough. So after the 6 or 6.5 you only need a 30/32t front chainring and between 42/50t cogs rear.

With the 44t and 14t + internal gear reduction you would only go 15-18mph or so, that is dumb, the 4kw motor is light motorcycle territory and that is way too slow to have fun with, even uphill you can loop out with a 30mph gear. Not to mention the doubled stress on the drivetrain, bad idea all around.

Back