ŠKODA eBike Klement

DasDouble

100 kW
ŠKODA presented their eBike called "Klement" in Geneva 2019 at their Press Conference.

Skoda-Klement.jpg

[youtube]DNujRYjd2BA[/youtube]

Too bad they can't sell it as a bicycle in a lot of places, because it doesnt' have functional pedals (quite a few places still define bicycles with that requirement), just footpegs, even if it is low powered enough to meet whatever local regulations limit it to.

For myself, I don't like the paint scheme, it causes it to blend into background too easily, when what is needed (and appears to be intended via lighting bits in the CGI pic) is higher visibility.

Attachments

• Skoda-Klement.jpg
    Skoda-Klement.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 1,062
At a glance I have mixed feelings.

No pedals makes it a non starter here, but I appreciate the simplicity in it's frame design nonetheless. Reminds me a bit of a flying v style guitar.

The single sided fork stolen from the antique Cannondale parts bin still terrifies me, even after all of these years.

Fully rigid (and probably aluminum) makes my body ache just looking at it.

Looks fast but probably isn't, making that fork a bit less scary but the overall package a bit more lame.

Interesting, but probably not for me.

Well I like it a lot, it looks like nothing on the marked before, especially the simple design.
Just look at that, I love it so far

Klement.jpg

2-format2020.jpg

I'd probably like it a lot more if it were't expressly forbidden to be used anywhere but private property in my neck of the woods. That really puts a damper on my enthusiasm for it, though I do quite like the design and might actually give it some consideration were it not unmistakably illegal.

I'm curious what their intended target market will be with much of Europe apparently relegated to 250w PAS, much of North America requiring pedals at a minimum, and much of Asia too busy churning out haystacks of unwanted clones of the thing after purchasing just one. It's a big planet though, so I'm sure they'll sell somewhere.

Edit: I think it might need a motocross style seat. The ergonomics and relative discomfort of a regular saddle make little sense when you have no pedals to rotate.

it was predicted long ago in trade and industry journals that ebikes would lose the pedals (above speeds where they present more hindrance than advantage).. this is just another example, but laws are often slow to follow technology..

HK12K said:
I'd probably like it a lot more if it were't expressly forbidden to be used anywhere but private property in my neck of the woods. That really puts a damper on my enthusiasm for it, though I do quite like the design and might actually give it some consideration were it not unmistakably illegal.

I'm curious what their intended target market will be with much of Europe apparently relegated to 250w PAS, much of North America requiring pedals at a minimum, and much of Asia too busy churning out haystacks of unwanted clones of the thing after purchasing just one. It's a big planet though, so I'm sure they'll sell somewhere.

Edit: I think it might need a motocross style seat. The ergonomics and relative discomfort of a regular saddle make little sense when you have no pedals to rotate.

Don´t worry, Im pretty sure when ŠKODA produces such bike it will be legal with a number plate :lol:

Looks cool. I wonder if they know the tires are on backwards in the rendering? :mrgreen:

It would be a scooter, not a bike here in Texas, and not legal, but that never stops anyone in Texas.
I'd like it more if the pegs were further forward and up high enough to clear curbs and steps. Mt dad would have enjoyed a scooter like that in his final years.

Back